shelleyuk

Will this wallpaper be too much?

shelleyuk
11 years ago
I want to wallpaper my snug which desperately needs some pattern. I like this paper. It has a metallic shimmer which means that in some lights you hardly see the pattern but from other angles you notice it.

My question is really about whether it would be too much if I paper all four walls with it? On the other hand Is it passé just to paper one accent wall?

The room is about four metres square with two brown leather sofas.

Comments (80)

• PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 years ago
    Grasscloth can range from 18 a yard to 60 a yard . Just depends on the brand. I love mdc wallcoverings and wolf gordon. They both have great ones in the 20 dollar range and you must have it hung professionally. You will not be able to hang and double cut. Hanging grasscloth is not easy and cutting perfectly is even more difficult.
  • Rema Manohar
    11 years ago
    use wallpaper only on one side only
  • Related Discussions

Where to put wallpaper in bedroom

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi, thank you so much for replying. Julia because of the size of room, I will be able to move bed if I fancied, so love your idea, but would mean bed would have to stay put. Inside Studio, I have taken so photos for you to look at, where wallpaper, curtain material and a sample of bed cushions and throw. Thanks once again.
    ...See More

Dark hall with wood chip wallpaper

Q

Comments (5)
    If you can borrow a steamer it would make the removal a bit easier, especially if you score the surface. Definitely get the crack looked at too. I can't tell the colour of the carpet, is it terracotta? Whatever it it, search through Houzz photos to look for colour schemes that include that colour to get ideas for the complimentary neutral wall colour D& K Interiors above suggests, And don't forget to post pics when you have done so we can see the transformation! By the way, if you have a pensioner relative, they can get 10% off at B&Q on a Wednesday!
    ...See More

POLL: To wallpaper or not to wallpaper?

Q

Comments (9)
    As a wallpaper designer I think you know what I'm going to say...Wallpaper, of course! My latest designs (The Joinery Collection) can be mixed and matched on the wall for unique outcomes. This mirrored effect is just one way to go. Check out my bespoke design service too. I can incorporate branding, lettering and photography. www.identitypapers.com
    ...See More

Is this wallpaper too much?

Q

Comments (10)
    long term home or not, we are coming through a stage of fear where no-one did up their home in any particular taste, in case, it rocketed in value and we all wanted to move up the ladder. Kitchens became un fitted, no-one wanted buit in wardrobes etc that has changed now and markets are slower, allowing people to be more individual again in their homes. be bold , it's only wallpaper you aren't knocking walls down, love it while it is up, and know you will hate it one day- but that is just your chance to do it all over again. just keep the carpet neutral as that's a waaaaaaay bigger expense than 3 rolls of paper and some paste.
    ...See More
  • Anujot Kaur
    11 years ago
    i jst wanna knw if any problem f humidity can occur with these wallpapers?????????? and moreover where can i get these wallpapers in chandigarh (INDIA)????????? PLZ TELL ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE..
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We use wallpaper a lot in England. It is obviously not humid but is very wet here and lots of houses suffer from damp. Wallpaper can peel if its not applied well.

Having said that, lots of people use it in bathrooms which are warm and wet, again, it just needs to be applied well.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Try marshallswallpaper.com based in India, owner of the company inspired by trips to England.
  • Anujot Kaur
    11 years ago
    CAN I GET THE ESTIMATED COST OF THESE WALLPAPERS PER SQUARE FEET?
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'm sure if you contact marshalls in india or another supplier and tell them what pattern you like they will be able to give you a price for your country.

The wallpaper I am considering (on this thread) is very cheap £12 per roll. A roll in this country (England) will generally do three drops.

A least since its cheap I can change it easily if I don't like it!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Promise to post pictures afterwards please!!!
  • rosanne98
    11 years ago
    I like the wallpaper, and i like leather for sofas, but not these two together. Your snug would look more traditional and sophisticated in a grass wallpaper that complements the leather color. I woud not put these together. I believe that paper would look perfect in a half bath or small bath.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Well we shall have to treat this as an experiment I think. It might look awful in which case it can come off again.

I appreciate the comments from those who have recommended grass cloth. I really like the look. It's not something we tend to see over here and whilst I have found some online it's about £40 per metre. That's way, way over budget.

We are fixing up the house this year in the knowledge that we might be forced to sell (if I give up work). We hope not so we want to decorate in a style we like but we also have to keep budget in mind.
  • Sharyn
    11 years ago
    Have you ever stripped wallpaper? It's a huge job. If you're up for it in 5-10 years or so, then go ahead and paper the walls. But have you considered stenciling the wall with a floral pattern or damask with a tone on tone color or add shimmer to the paint with pearl additives? Stenciling is also much friendlier on the budget. Just an idea. Check out http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com for ideas.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes don't worry Sharyn, we have stripped a whole house of fifty year old woodchip paper (the worst to remove!) which had been layered on top of three other papers. We now have two high powered wallpaper steamers!!
  • jccbaker
    11 years ago
    I love your wall paper. I think you should do all of the walls. Until you can replace the couches, you can put pretty throws on them or even get cheap fitted covers to soften them.
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    I think the paper is great. Do the whole room and go with the first range of furniture (the other is a bit old fashioned). Your ideas re furniture placement sound good but I would leave the TV on the wall where it is as the other wall gets more light from the window which could cause annoying reflections if watching TV during the day. Add some light cushions in interesting textures and some fresh flowers and you will have lovely room that won't offend the boys but is feminine enough for you - I'm also the only girl in the house so know how you feel! I tried piling the brown leather sofa in our TV room with funky green, hot pink and purple cushions only to find my sons shoving them down behind the sofa when their friends came round.

Regarding the standard lamp - we inherited 2 of them which looked very 'granny'. I painted one which was not very nice wood and swapped the shades for big drum shades and they look bang up to date.
  • paularora
    11 years ago
    If the room is small, wallpaper on all walls would likely make the room look smaller. Suggest creating only one wall with wall paper, use paint for the 3 walls. (dark wall paper, lighter paint colour). We did our 2nd bedroom with one accent wall using dinner paper napkins, painting the rest. See if this can help in your endeavours. Paul
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Right I'm having a change of plan.

What's the opinion on built in cupboards right the way across the wall where the TV is?

This will help to disguise the fact that the window is not centred on the back wall and will also disguise the pillar.

Thoughts?
  • carole
    11 years ago
    big change,bit like the pict. with the "libarywallpaper",will you still use (your) wallpaper on the other walls,i think it will look good and like you say will hide a few things!!have you decided on any of the furniture....i like the first range,mcm style?
  • pepsi567
    11 years ago
    i think it would be great
  • tayns2010
    11 years ago
    Built-in cupboards are always a great way to add design and storage, and it also makes the room seem larger because the storage units aren't in the way IMAO
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    11 years ago
    Dear Harcoums, My innitial comment was based on you using the wallpaper for a powder room. I do not think your selection will go well with two leather sofas. I agree with judyg, Carolyn and CMR interiors that grass cloth would be a warm and beautiful wall covering for your room and yes Phillip Jeffries wall coverings offers wonderful options even if it is just on one wall. If it does not fit the budget then paint the room a beautiful rich color.
  • axlee
    11 years ago
    Your wallpaper is lovely but does not go with or compliment your dark leather couches. I have lots of English-transplant friends here in Canada where I live so understand you do not have access to the same array of choices and price points we do here. However, I would look around for something with a pattern and colours that compliments your existing furniture and your likely future furniture choices better, and meets that all-important requirement of an injection of femininity! This doesn't have to be grasscloth that you cannot get at an affordable price in England. It could be another paper from a similar manufacturer at a similar price point to the one you have your eye on, but something that goes better with 1) the room's location 2) the room's style 3) the existing furniture's colours and lines. Once you've found that "right" paper, I'd go ahead and do all the walls -- then it will really "feel" like a snug. This will take more looking and planning, but you will be more pleased with the final result.
  • cgbtoo
    11 years ago
    For future reference if you use a 50% liquid fabric softener and water in a spray bottle it will make removing old wallpaper so easy. Just scratch the wallpaper first, I used a paper tiger very cheap at the hardware store. I too purchased an old home and had to remove many layers of wallpaper. By the way I like the idea of stenciling the wall instead of going back with wallpaper, when you get tired of the look you can paint over it. Lovely Home by the way .
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    11 years ago
    Go with it! Here is some inspiration. I love that term "snug". I also like the British term "fiddly bits." :)
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/wallpaper
  • anoglyfada
    11 years ago
    I think the bolder in a small space the better! I however, love the shock, WOW factor. These types of rooms always make me smile when I see them.....I don't think the flowery wallpaper you picked will wow anyone and will look tired after awhile.
  • Dennis Hartford
    11 years ago
    Wallpaper sucks! It is mater of what degree it sucks.
  • waisland2012
    11 years ago
    I'm a big wallpaper fan. And I think it would really cozy up your "snug". However, like some of the other commenters, I think maybe your current selection might not be the best to complement your leather chairs. I put an "english" print in my studio and it is one of my favorite rooms. It started out as a craft room and morphed into a mini hunt room. :)
    I'll post a couple of photos.
  • waisland2012
    11 years ago
    wallpapered studio
  • pepsi567
    11 years ago
    Is it possible to put the chair and lamp near the window or under it
    i would use the wallpaper on tv wall
    i would also use the smaller scale furniture so it is not crowded as the room seems small
    and accessories to bring out the paper like a throw and pillows
    maybe sheers to match as well
  • PRO
    CB Interior Design
    11 years ago
    I like the wallpaper but I will do use it only in one of the walls and do a solid paint color (the light color of the wallpaper background so it does not make the room to small) in the other walls. I like the idea to have it just as an accent.
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    As others have commented the wallpaper doesn't work with the leather sofas. Pick a paint color that will stand up to the strong leather. You might try an arrangement of the mirror lengthwise and the two pictures next to the mirror stacked one on top of the other over couch. You pictures are hanging way too high and they don't have enough mass to compliment the heavy sofa. Use the beautiful wallpaper in your bedroom.
  • hodgesddh
    11 years ago
    I would use the grass cloth, as Judy suggests. Especially if you are considering papering the entire room. It will work nicely with the brown leather sofas, since they have to stay.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If you like that shimmery wallpaper then you should use it and enjoy it. You are the only person who needs to like it really. You only need to please yourself.
    My other thought on this is that most of the people on here are Americans and decorating here is very different from that in the British Isles. I drool over your beautiful rooms with wallpaper and the wonderful pattered curtains.
  • gypsyrose17
    11 years ago
    What exactly is a snug? I was thinking maybe a small parlour or den, but other commentors are referring to powder rooms, yet you speak of two leather sofas...I am confused.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think it's what you would call a den. It's a smaller room for watching TV. We don't tend to use the expression powder room but I think you mean a downstairs loo? not quite such an elegant phrase!
  • pollyannagal
    11 years ago
    The more elegant English phrase for 'powder room' is a 'cloakroom' - but that really confuses foreign visitors as they expect somewhere to hang their coat!! Funny old language that we try to share.
  • gypsyrose17
    11 years ago
    Love the wallpaper, prefer the second batch of furniture..gives a cozier softer feel to the masculine sofa, just add some color via soft comfy throw pillows and perhaps an oriental or persian rug with some red in it.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Pollyannagal I'm obviously not posh enough. For me the cloakroom is the room where we hang our coats!

When you say den in the US do you mean a tv room or do you mean a study? Or is it just a man space?
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And what's the difference between a den and a family room? Or is a family room the living room?
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And while we're at it, what is drywall? Is it like plasterboard?
  • StacyH
    11 years ago
    Usually, well at least in Dallas, TX - a den is the same as a family room. A living room is separate, and is more formal, & undoubtedly the least "lived in" room. A Gameroom - is a room for just that: games! A pooltable; ping-pong table; a card game table, video games or just plain TV. A media room is usually a sound insulated room with theatre seating & no windows, used to watch movies or television on an oversized projector screen or large flat screen TV. A study is a plush home office. Are you confused yet?! I am! Now this is Dallas...and rooms may be called something entirely different in say, New York?
  • nic2020
    11 years ago
    wallpaper you choose is good except the color of it should be slightly darker which will look quite elegant , overall you have nice house, congrats !!
  • SNZTH
    11 years ago
    I'm with Paularora on the wallpaper, and, I prefer the second furniture range.
  • Chelsea Neuschwander
    11 years ago
    Here in Oregon, we refer to a den as more of a manly, comfy room. Part office, part tv room. The family room is like a living room but with a tv. A living room is generally more formal and used for casual conversation. For a house that doesn't have a family and living room both, the words are interchangeable though, which can get confusing for people used to more formal living. We are fairly informal around here.

I would assume drywall is like plasterboard. When houses are built, the framing goes in, filled with insulation on exterior walls, then all of the studs get covered with big sheets of drywall that then gets all the seems "taped" and smoothed and then texture is sprayed over it all, then paint. Drywall isn't used in all rooms, there is a special kind called green board used in bathrooms, which is mold resistant. Cement board is also used on any walls or floors where tile is being applied, like bathrooms or kitchens, which is also mold resistant.

I am loving this subject! It's so fun to see what people all over the world call different things.
  • gypsyrose17
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    harcoums, for those of us who have modest homes, the living room is where the tv is and where we do things together, if we have a den it is usually a small bedroom that we are not using as a bedroom...it usually has the computer, books, perhaps kid stuff with a tv, etc. The folks with a ton of square footage and lots of rooms name the different rooms as to the type of function they use it for.
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    Of course you can use any fancy wallpaper you want but I assumed the reason you were asking if it was "too much" was to avoid making an expenxive mistake. If you want to choose something that works vs something you like that doesn't work, that's your decision. The wallpaper is beautiful and would look lovely in a bedroom, dining room or powder room but not a den with heavy leather sofas. The wallpaper and sofas don't compliment each other. Please assert your femininity in another room--a den isn't supposed to be feminine. It would be like painting the walls pink. Find some magazines with pictures of rooms with leather sofas and notice how they've been accessorized. Do you want an honest answer to "does this dress make my butt look big" or are you going to wear the dress no matter?
  • ecci
    11 years ago
    Feel like expressing yourself with handcrafted natural wall designs respectful of traditions and innovation? Look here for the endless possibilities,and please leave your feedback:
    http://eccidesign.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=messages6
  • Vonn
    9 years ago
    I have wallpapered a few rooms now (living, bedrooms and hall) using the four walls. It is a damask pattern and I was a little shaky at first, but I am so glad. I do like an uncluttered (difficult to maintain at the best of times) and a fair bit of dark wood. I like it, and would definitely consider it again.
  • Silvia F.
    9 years ago
    since it's quite a soft color, I would go for covering the whole room.
  • cavgirl
    8 years ago
    I like the wallpaper. I do see the point though re the appropriateness with leather sofas ... Could you not find the same wallpaper in a darker tone? I was looking at a very similar one myself this week and it was more mocha - although that wouldn't necessarily work either! Maybe grey?

Oh, and other possibility if you like the look of wallpaper and balk at the price. Can't you get something similar in a super fresco/ paintable range and then paint it with metallic paint? Or even a combination of chalk and metallic. You might still pay £20/25 a roll but that's better than £40 a metre!
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.