0
Your shopping basket is empty.

Is coving out of fashion?

Sarah Hunt
1 April, 2016
I'm about to modernise a 3 bed semi detached house and was wondering if coving was now outdated?

what are your thoughts?

• Lauren

Depends on the age of the property really, though I'm not sure 'fashion' is really the right word - more whether its appropriate. Anything Victorian, Edwardian up to 1930's tends to look a bit naked without coving. In more modern buildings it can look out of place.

If for example you're thinking about ripping out original coving from a period property I would definitely say reconsider because it adds value and character.

Absolute

I love how ornate coving adds style and detail to high ceilings in traditional properties - make sure to find a style suited to the era of your house.

In a modern property in which you want a contemporary feel, coving is a no no in my eyes - tall ceiling or not.

Hope that helps!

• Sarah Hunt
    The property is a 1960's chalet house. So wasn't sure what would be most fitting?
    I think coving works in any age house but is not always necessary.
    In your house you could either go very modern with white wall, no coving and furnish with mid century classics.
    Alternatively you can put coving for a more comfortable traditional look.
    Most coving is inexpensive to really add a wow I say get something more substantial (not more ornate....just bigger). You can buy this online or from a professional decorating centre. Remember that you want as few joints as possible so you may have to accept wastage.
    Absolute

1960s architecture is quite boxy. Even so if you want a modern look I would the coving out! :-)

Tiago Faria and Jane Considine Architects

Coving is an important detail in an interior and it needs to be in balance with the overall character of the room; it can be something really simple like a shadow gap, or it may be created using neat high level wall trim. An elaborate coving may also work with your interior, but there's no rule.

eichler in marinwood · More Info

Transitional Kids · More Info

Black Oak Builders Ltd.

It all depends on the property type. In a country style property with high ceilings I would not miss on having nice ornamented coving, but in a modern contemporary style house I would think twice before having it. Like whirlligig said, it is not the question of fashion, its wether it's appropriate and if it will work with the rest of the decor.