jemster

Have broken, dark, characterless living room - help please?

jemster
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello everyone,

**Sorry for some reason is showing photos twice. Not sure how to delete photos** Also there is a 3rd photo showing the fireplace more clearly but it won't let me load.**

I would really appreciate some help with this room. We live in a very small, modern characterless house. I'm in the process of trying to create a living in the style I like within the confined of the house type and the features already there.

My ideal home would be a Victorian terrace with a lovely feature fireplace, book shelves at either side and a classic traditional look.

Ideally I would love to replace the brick fireplace with a 'proper' one but at the moment this isn't possible. It bothers me that the wall is flat all the way across rather than a central chimney breast that juts out and has walls set back on either side!

As you can see it's very open plan, the room is basically a walk through from front to back of house which makes it a bit more tricky. It is also very 'broken' up as regard wall space. Also, as you may see from the photos it is quite dark.

How can I get the look and feel I like working with these elements?

I have bought a large gold framed mirror to go over the fireplace but won't hang until the room is redecorated. I like the wooden floor and I like most of my furniture.

I am also planning to buy two matching wall mounted book shelves for either side of the fireplace.

Keeping chandelier but will get rid of round green glass shade though not sure what to replace it with.

As I'm keeping the room walls quite neutral and plain I will replace the rug with a richly patterned one.

My main questions are:

1 - What colour do you think would work well in this room? I'm thinking of some sort of grey/blue/green soft colour but don't want the room to seem darker or colder.

2- Do you think all my walls should be the same or I should use a different colour or shade on the fireplace wall?

3-What about wallpapering the fireplace wall? I really feel torn about this as feel it might not look so elegant.

4 - I'd like to do something with the 2 little windows next to the back door - you can only see one of them and a bit of the other on first photo. I thought of cream coloured slat blinds and keeping the windows plain. Or alternatively, plain roller blinds but put a leaded window pattern on the windows. Or maybe even do a bit of stain glass effect, not too over the top though. What do you think?

5 - I'm sure there's lots of things I'm missing here so really grateful for whatever ideas you have.

Many thanks for reading my post! :-)

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.