randomspam

Ground floor redesign - confused by options

Mat
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just realised today there is a whole forums section of Houzz and clearly some very clever people giving a lot of advice so if anyone has any thoughts on the following dilemna it would be helpful. Ultimately I am trying to determine which professional area would be best for me to speak with be it interior designer/builder/architect. Perhaps some general thoughts will help that choice, I am in Suffolk in the UK.

We have a 14 year old modern detached house, there are 4 of us plus 2 cats, my 2 children are approaching teenage years. The house is looking tired inside and outside and is in need of some love and also I feel a change in layout as what was originally designed is not fitting to the way we live our lives as a family.

We're very fortunate and grateful for what we have, it is a great house. Even more so as the previous owners had the loft converted so it is actually a 5 bed house, they also had a conservatory added.

The current layout of the ground floor is depicted below, there is also a separate garage to the left of the Kitchen and a large garden that spans the full width of the house plus a bit more. Our children are building their lives here and we are not planning on moving until they are much older.

Main issues

• I have never been happy with the dining room location and it's distance from the Kitchen.
  • We have never been happy with the layout of the kitchen, there is a significant lack of storage and even less work surface space and if you are cooking you are cut off from everyone else.
  • The conservatory is obviously a disappointment, it cuts out light and has the usual boiling/freezing problem. Although that said following DIY work for insulation it has been used by me for the last 3 years as a media room of sorts however it is not ideal. However it is now also a home to our cats which is good as it keeps them out the rest of the house at night time.
  • The sitting room layout is compromised for seating purposes as a result of 3 sets of doors. The bi-fold into the dining room were added by the previous owners which is good for access, bad for a wall to put things against! I do not feel it is conducive towards family communication.

Thoughts

We've discussed this for 4 months now so this is less than 1% of my thoughts so far :)

1. We don't want open plan.
  2. The dining room and the kitchen should be closer together.
  3. I would like the garden to be more easily accessible, I feel the conservatory prevents this.
  4. An extension would ultimately correct most items but is probably not affordable.
  5. We are currently using a spare bedroom on the 2nd floor as a utility room for drying washing, this is clearly rubbish as ideally we would have it located near the washing machine and get a tumble drying in there somehow.
  6. We would like a woodburner fitted this year.
  7. I think we need a separate sitting room/snug, one for the kids, they are getting older and frequently starting to commandeer the one room intended to relaxing. I see this increasing as time goes on which leaves my wife and I as outcasts in the conservatory or the study.
  8. What kind of professional do you think I should talk to?

This is one of the potential plans I came up with, it could be with or without the conservatory.

Comments (24)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.