bsamitier

What goes first: new kitchen cabinets or new flooring?

Hello all,

I'm having a new kitchen and floor installed. Our kitchen designer strongly recommends to lay the floor first and then get the kitchen installed on top. Our builder thinks the new floor should go down last and cut around the kitchen cabinets. Please help!

Amber Jeavons Ltd

Hello Barbara,

I would suggest flooring first and cabinets last and I'm in accord with your kitchen designer.. The cabinets have to sit on the flooring and so without a level floor it's highly unlikely they would be fitted extremely beautifully!

Someone might think differently and that's their prerogative but..... It's also a question of timing and money.. ie fitting floor before the kitchen fitters come in unless they will do the whole job. Re the money.. You could save money by installing flooring up to and around the cabinets and save on what you don't see... but in my opinion this is not the way to do it!

Builders will often try to do what is less time consuming and or easier for them... They may even think this is the way.. but what can I say.. it's not my way! (or your kitchen fitters!) : ) )

Barbara Samitier Gardens thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
    Oasys Property Solutions

There are arguments either way.

Flooring should always be fitted beneath floor standing appliances (whether freestanding or integrated) for ease of installation and removal (and in the case of freestanding appliances, to ensure there are no areas that are visible without any flooring).

By having the floor fitted first ensures a level surface, and as mentioned above items such as end panels will be fitted directly on the floor. The kitchen fitter is obviously taking responsibility for not scratching the new floor during installation, and particularly when moving appliances such as the fridge and range cooker.

When fitting timber flooring, it is necessary to leave an expansion gap around the perimeter. By plonking heavy kitchen furniture on top largely prevents the natural expansion/shrinkage of the timber, and therefore there is a risk that the flooring may bow or pull apart. One solution is for the kitchen fitter to cut out around the plinth legs, but this does mean if you ever change the layout, but wish to keep the flooring, you will left with a floor resembling Edam cheese!

Barbara Samitier Gardens thanked Oasys Property Solutions
    Stone & Marble Diretto Ltd.

I agree with the above comments! I love to see jobs properly done!

Zeyko Kitchens

We definitely agree the flooring should be laid first, good luck!

• Daisy England
    Flooring first then you can pull out any appliances that may need repairing easily e.g. a washer.