wendy_sloane

Help with HUGE living room dilemma please!

wendy_sloane
8 years ago

I recently moved and installed a huge metal fireplace, over six feet tall. Then I stupidly bought two very large credenza/sideboards and had them painted. Now they dwarf the fireplace and it looks like three huge monstrosities standing in a row. Do I sell the furniture and buy small sideboards, with pictures behind them and matching lamps? Also, the fireplace is not in the middle of the room and I have built

a large bookcase opposite it. The couch is covering up the books, which I hate, but if I put the two couches opposite each other the big one is too close to the door, so the back of it is the first thing when you walk in. It looks awful, BTW, to have the big one in the window. Should I sell the big couch and buy two large chairs - should I keep it in front of the bookcase? I am dumping the carpet, never fear. The walls are light grey and it's a beautiful room, but with the wrong furniture. Help! It's bothering me every day...

Comments (42)

• dellaslynch
    8 years ago
    You have gotten yourself in a bit of a pickle! I think less buying and more planning is called for next time ;-)

The fireplace is a very imposing piece both in scale and colour. You could consider painting the top part and sides a pale colour - perhaps the same as the trims - and just leave the actual fire surround as black. I would keep the simpler sideboard to the left and sell or use the smaller one in another room in the house. Place a comfortable arm chair that contrasts in some way with the sofas into the gap left by the removal of the smaller sideboard. The gramophone is also very imposing in the room - and I don't think it works where it is placed - move it somewhere else. The rug I don't mind. It is hard to tell if there is room in the photos but could the large sofa be moved forward to allow people to move behind? What is on the one wall we haven't been shown - could a sofa go along there?
  • wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the help. The wall you cannot see has a large radiator on it and the door at one end. I could put chairs in front of the radiator but that's about it. The thing is that it's very nice and cosy to have the couches facing one another. Once you are sitting on a couch, it's the best solution. But when you stand up it doesn't look great, especially when you walk in the door.

I will have a think about putting a chair in one alcove. But I have found two small natural wood sideboards that are similar but different that would probably look far better in the alcoves than the existing furniture.

Planning has never been one of my strong points...

• Related Discussions

Please help me ,i am lost,Need help with my living room

Q

Comments (9)
    I agree with Red80 re furniture layout. There are lots of good things in this room, I just personally find the cushions and blinds clash with the chandelier and wallpaper. I would swap the 2 geometric cushions for softer patterns in lighter grey/white/duck egg. I'd get something with different textures as the cushions fabrics look the same atm? Add accessories to your coffee table, maybe just a pile of books, a vase of flowers, and an "ornament" in wood/ceramic/pewter etc again for texture. When budget allows swap the blinds for Roman blinds. Try blinds 2 go or Tuiss which is their sister company if you're in the UK. I can't remember the exact price but I got pure silk Roman blinds for 2 really large windows for c£450 which sounds a bargain to me although not yet up:) I agree the mirror is a little high. If you can, without leaving a hole on show in the wallpaper, I'd lower it as long as it doesn't reflect the tv! I'm not sure the pics to the left of the window work as they're obscured by the curtains. Perhaps also a taller vase/pot in the blue for the tv cabinet to detract from the tv a little more? Alternatively you could change the wallpaper and the mirror to give the room a contemporary rather than classical feel
    ...See More

Design Dilemma - Living room, caught in two minds.

Q

Comments (15)
    I think you're not far off the look you want but, you're right, there are a few tweaks to tie it together. Mainly paint, so only a weekend, maybe two, depending on how handy you are with a brush! I would paint the black blue, and lose the gold frame moulding in the centre of the ceiling (it brings the ceiling down, visually). Love the blue chandelier, keep it! Is that a radiator to the right of the door? If yes, I'd paint it gold to match the skirting (it would also look more Victorian). If you have the budget, you could get it replaced with a vintage style cast iron radiator? They are quite expensive though, so maybe something to save up for down the line? I'd also paint the entry door blue, with a gold frame, to tie everything in together - I think the stark white block in the wall jars with the rest of the room. As per other contributors to this thread, I agree that you need a rug, ideally a dark coloured Kilim or Turkish style rug, going by your inspiration photos. IKEA do some that are very affordable, but you could splash out on a handmade one. If you can find a battered and worn secondhand one, I think would look awesome, it would give you that lived in Victorian look? Finally, the chairs and table are cool, and the colours work for me, but the table is way to small for the space. Perversely, I think it actually makes the room look smaller? I would switch to a six seater, and turn it 90 degrees to how you have it at the moment (pointing toward the fireplace). It does look awesome, and do please keep us posted!
    ...See More

living room dilemma help!!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi, A run through the space is nice if you can cleverly balance the space so it doesn't appear like a corridor or mass of empty space with everything pushed to the side. It may make an uneasy vibe as you walk in one door and out the other.. as you can see the back door from there too. It may not be that 'homely' or inviting'. Consider placing a thin console on the wall there to break-up the line but still having space to move from the front door to the kitchen. We offer some competitively priced single room packages. If you require a designer for the space, I would be happy to come out and take a look. All the best and do keep us informed. Gina
    ...See More

Design dilemma #living room

Q

Comments (36)
    Hello. I've been reading about rugs and allergies and decided to have a go with either jute or polypropylene rug, which should be fine in my circumstances. I wander if this designs are a bit too crowded for my space: http://m.laredoute.co.uk/ppdp/prod-350020090?docid=221816 http://m.laredoute.co.uk/ppdp/prod-350039225?docid=221816# This is my favourite so far but they don't have the larger sizes available: http://m.laredoute.co.uk/ppdp/prod-324515229?docid=221816# Or this?: http://m.laredoute.co.uk/ppdp/prod-324152642?docid=221816#searchkeyword=jute rug Tomorrow I will post some pics of the room at present. It's been used as a playground so it's not great but.. Hopefully you will help me find a nice rug to add :)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Sofas & Stuff
    8 years ago

Hi there,

We agree with the above comment on the fireplace, would it be possible if you could paint it a different colour? A pale cream may be a nice contrast with the wall colour. In regards to the sideboards, personally I love the detail of the right one and think it is the left one which is dominating the room, so I would sell/use the left one in another room.

Now the bookcase is an amazing feature and is hidden by your larger sofa, have you thought about the possibility of buying two armchairs and keeping the medium size sofa as this will give you more space to play with, or alternatively getting a snuggler/loveseat... Here are some suggestions for you:

Hamsey Chair · More Info

Grassington Fitted cover medium sofa in Liberty Marquess Nightshade · More Info

Or have you thought about a corner sofa where your window is?

Broadstairs Corner Sofa · More Info

Hope this helps!

wendy_sloane thanked Sofas & Stuff
  • wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Dear Sofas and Stuff,

Yes, I am thinking of going with just one sideboard. But the two I am thinking of purchasing are quite low and not very deep - they would probably look better in the room than the current ones. It might also be hard to put in a corner sofa as the bookcase would get in the way. But I will have a look...

Thanks for the advice!

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi. I must admit I love sofas in front of bookcases! I would move the gramophone elsewhere and try a lamp on a side table next to the sofa so the "sofa" looks more in proportion to the bookcase. I'd move the other sofa a bit closer to the fire but pull it forward a little and swap the stool to the other side. I'd keep the smaller sideboard but try removing the art to vary the height and see if you prefer it. Perhaps paint the chimney breast a darker shade of grey to bring that into focus. Try a chair with a lamp behind it semi in the alcove but practice with any old chair you have now. The rug looks good with the floor but it depends if you want the sofa feet to sit on it

• ingabrereton
    8 years ago

Feeling a bit mischevious today, so here'e my suggestion in that spirit

Taking the Marx and Engels poster in the corner of the photo as inspiration

Get rid of the sofas and use the room as is as a library/dining room perfect for intellectual discussions

Antique Writing Tables, Partners Library Tables / Desks · More Info

get a huge library table

Klash Chairs · More Info

Some antique dining chairs

River Series Plates From Snowden Flood · More Info

Socially aware dining plates

Antique chairs · More Info

Perhaps an armchair for chilling listening to the gramophone.

Don't get rid of the rug it is the best thing in the room, and the fireplace, cupboards and library are fab too. All those cupboards need is a huge collection of bottles of spirits and glasses on top...

Good luck with the project - don't be down about it we all make mistakes with furniture - you can always sell stuff at auction.

• Jonathan
    8 years ago
    In my humble opinion......
    Get rid of the larger cabinet on the left and move the smaller cabinet to that position.
    Put the gramophone on the window side of the fireplace.
    Try the larger sofa in front of the window and well forward withe the smaller sofa at the opposite end.
    Failing that keep the smaller sofa and put two chairs in front of the bookcase and another in the radiator wall opposite the window.
    Don't forget to include a reading light and if you get an alternate rug I think you need bigger.
    As far as the fireplace goes I like it as it is.
    wendy_sloane thanked Jonathan
  • wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Minnie - I will try your suggestions (except for painting the fireplace!).

Thanks also to jonathanandb1972 - sadly I like the larger one cabinet more than the smaller one, so I am afraid I might end up selling both. Not sure I understand what you mean about the smaller sofa at the opposite end - do you mean opposite the larger sofa?

As for you Inge, I love you. And here is what is already in my hallway outside the room in question (along with loads of other Soviet memorabilia):

He's almost a metre high (sadly not painted in psychedelic colours). Best of all, he has a small 8-inch twin to match as well, nestled high in the fretwork in the entrance way:

• ingabrereton
    8 years ago

Thanks for the love - perhaps you could have a plastic Karl as a totemic garden gnome? I'm certainly tempted to - I'm sure my Harrogate neighbours would appreciate the gesture.

wendy_sloane thanked ingabrereton
  • PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Wendy, what a place you've got! There is nothing what couldn't be fixed :) I like your side boards and they are such a great match in style with fireplace. Can you answer what's your the most possible scenario to give up on what you've got and start from the beginning, or to fix what you have started?

Personally, I'm very practical person, so I've give you an advice on how to fix colour situation. Fireplace should be a centerpiece as I suppose you planned it to be, to achieve this your sideboards should become less visible but still be a part of accent details. I suggest to paint part of wall behind each sideboard in rich colour and then repaint sideboards in the same colour. You have green sofas, how about rich green, for example emerald? It works great with red and brown tones and dramatic look will make whole room cozier. Moreover, it will be a great complement to your interior style!

I like fireplace and it isn't necessary to repaint it, consider to paint wall behind it in dark taupe or dark stone, for example, to stand out a bit more.

As for the furniture layout, I'd like to put suggestion but I need to see your wall with radiator and wall with bay-window. If you will upload pics, I will be happy to help.

wendy_sloane thanked AlenaCDesign
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Wendy, it sounds like you already know what to do! I agree that the fireplace is wonderful although unusually tall and rather imposing for the size of the room so I would go with your idea of lower items so they don't 'fight' with each other. As well as being out of scale the two sideboards clash in style, colour and are too bulky (I am a fan of eclectic and yet I agree with you they don't work). The fireplace looks like an Edwardian/French style made of iron so quite clean and elegant (please don't paint it) so keep anything around it light/simple in style and size so it stays the focal point of the room. It also adds some curves and flow to a room that is very angular (square sofas, bookcases, filing cabinet).

Before rushing out to buy more things, once the sideboards are gone, try moving the gramophone+base to one of the alcoves (it does look out of place where it is and seems to block the space) and then place a similar sized simple wooden, table/trunk with a lamp/statue on top (maybe your Karl Marx will oblige temporarily) in the other alcove to balance it. See what it looks like for a while and maybe no need to buy more stuff. The gramophone also has some curves so will complement the curves/circles of the fireplace.

As much as I am not a fan of sofas in front of bookshelves it doesn't look too bad as it is a whole wall. I agree with previous comments that moving it about 12-18 inches away from the books will allow access and also make things feel a little more spacious but really leaving it where it is is also fine and I think you will get used to it. Resting the front feet on the rug will make it all look more connected and although the rug looks fine, if replacing it I would get a larger one.

If you are going to change a sofa I would change the small one and buy two arm chairs so they don't block the window so much. Consider getting fabric ones to add warmth/texture and in some kind of colour. Overall as the walls are grey I would stay away from any more grey or similar coloured furniture like the sideboards as they again clash in colour. Finally, sofas at right angles make for more relaxed interactions, opposite each other can appear more combative and your room is not quite big enough to accommodate them that way.

Phew, I didn't expect all that to emerge! Wendy remember to take it slow and post some 'after' photos, or even 'work in progress' ones now we have bought into you room it's nice to keep in touch until it's done! Rememeber to have fun!

• wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Alena, Your idea about painting the sideboards and the walls behind them the same darker colour is an intriguing one. I am thinking about it. But - as Stella pointed out - I am starting to lean in the direction of selling them, as they are too large for the space. I have not owned the sideboards for too long and am not that attached to them, so I think they might go bye-bye. Alena - here is a picture of the wall:

And while I am at it, here is a photo of a small chair I want to paint/recover. I found it in an alleyway near my house recently. Any suggestions? I expect it will stay in the living room. And while the couches DO look green, supposedly they are grey (at least they are labelled as grey)...

Finally - Inga - we are redoing the garden. Any idea if the Marxist gnomes are weather-resistant? I think my north London neighbours can handle the affront. An d if not, as they say: "В гостя́х хорошо́, а до́ма лу́чше."

• ingabrereton
    8 years ago

The Marx in plastic is actually rotomoulded in Germany, so the same type of construction as children's outdoor playhouses and toys - so probably be fine.

As for the chair, how about a red toile fabric and have a 'vive la revolution' bedroom with a Marie Antoinette theme - no repaint needed.

FRENCH TOILE DE JOUY FABRIC - AIMEE (ROUGE) · More Info

• ingabrereton
    7 years ago

Art wise would go well with a Raoul Dufy painting '14 July au Havre' a series of very colourful painting of Bastille day celebrations

• wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Something to think about, Inga - I do have several posters with red borders (not surprisingly).

BTW - here are two (almost) matching sideboards I am considering buying if I dump the big guys. They are only about waist-height and not as deep as the other two. They fit nicely in the alcoves, and I could put paintings/posters behind and nice lamps on top. The colours of the natural wood are almost identical, although that is not visible in these photos.

Thoughts?

• wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey - if anyone wants to photoshop them situ that would be very much appreciated - I have not the technology (nor the brain). Then I could have a real look and not make the same mistake twice.

• ingabrereton
    7 years ago

Love the french chests, but am confused about the overall style. If you are trying to achieve a sort of Bloomsbury set style then don't worry too much and use plenty of colour. If you want a more sober look - such as the plain bookcases, grey paint and grey sofas suggest then perhaps mid century furniture is closer to what you need for a cohesive room

SOLD - Vintage Iroko mid century school drawers · More Info

SOLD - Vintage Mid century 1950s French industrial light · More Info

Pair of original 1960/70’s white leather Wasilly chairs by Marcel Breuer · More Info

I'm not a big fan of grey but it can look fantastic.

• headers13
    7 years ago

Fireplace looks good, I would get rid of the two cabinets as they are too tall & replace with two lower ones. Shelving is good but I would match the books up into spine colours/sizes to give a better look. Sofa fine in front of shelving but I would be tempted to get rid of the other sofa & have a chair or just the grammophone in the window.

• PRO
    Bucks Eco Furniture Designs Ltd
    7 years ago

Could you make or commission fitted cupboards which are quite plain in design for either side of the fireplace, and adapt your bookshelves to sit on top of them. The more decorative fireplace would stand out more effectively as a more natural attraction to the eye. Perhaps you could keep one of the painted cabinets by situating it on the opposite wall if you turned the large opposite sofa, if there is space, which there might be without the exisiting bookcase. Or maybe the bookcase could be adapted to fit to the right of the fireplace, as it is shallow, to not block light, and just fit plain cupboards to the left of the fireplace.

• PRO
    Lynsey Jane Designs
    7 years ago
    Hi there personally I would sell the two cabinets. Although they are very nice unfortunately they detract from your beautiful fireplace which should be your focal point.
    Instead replace them with two simple console table. You can add a lamp each side along with picture frames, candles etc..
    I would also add mirror in each alcove to bounce the light around.
    I love the book shelves. I would definitely suggest a couple of chairs instead of the sofa sitting opposite the other sofa with your coffee table in the middle.
    By getting rid of your bulky items you room will feel stripped back, leaving the room itself to show off. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Lynsey Jane Designs
    7 years ago
    This is what I had in mind. X
  • Angela
    7 years ago
    You need the advice of an interior designer!Get 2 names Houzz have a 'Pros near you ' service. Believe me I have learnt the hard way that pulling a scheme together is not actually that easy. I am at present refurbishing a hall,stairs,landing,study,WC,cloakroom and they are experts at knowing what will go into the space to achieve what you want ,at the same time opening your eyes to other ideas. I consider it money very well spent.
  • msclelluk
    7 years ago
    Keep the fireplace unpainted, lose the two cupboards and before you buy anything else take peters advice & get an interior designer in - that way you will achieve the look you want painlessly & save yourself hours of searching & agonizing!! Beautiful room & Good luck!!
    wendy_sloane thanked msclelluk
  • Helen J
    7 years ago
    I think the fireplace is grand.... I would suggest as others, to ditch the large furniture and replace with smaller/lower pieces. I think the room is very strong and could easy handle something like the bold Cole and son rope wallpaper to complement the room.
    wendy_sloane thanked Helen J
  • Susan Jamieson
    7 years ago

Well, I'd go with your instincts and sell the pieces either side - they don't flatter the fireplace and the fireplace doesn't flatter them. And the worst thing you can do is insist to yourself that you must live with a big mistake. You don't have to - sell them and reinvest in something that works. If the room is oversized, I'd go for a couch on one side of the fireplace and two chairs opposite, which can be moved to the best position to accommodate the door. Everything else is just filling in after that. But make a plan of the room to scale on squared paper, so that you know what size things should be - and the sketch it up as wall views, so that you can see how it might look before committing yourself to something expensive. Godd luck!

wendy_sloane thanked Susan Jamieson
  • Elena Hadjivasili
    7 years ago
    I would sugges a simple diy. move one of each bookcase on either side of the fireplace. if there is still some space in the nook you can add some small floating shelves at the same level as the ones in your bookcase. with a bit of moulding around them to match the existing ones, you will have instant built-ins and a lovely focal wall. you can also move the couch from in front of the window to the opposite wall which will open up the space and let more light in. even though the consoles you currently have are gorgeous, there is not much you can do to incorporate them in this room. maybe as storage in the dining room or the entryway? hope this helps!
    wendy_sloane thanked Elena Hadjivasili
  • Pammy Boudreaux
    7 years ago

If you are selling the "big guys", I would be interested in the "big boy" on the left side of the fireplace as I have the other in my dining room to match to it! Personally I like matching era furniture myself 1920s with 1920's or French with French, so have you considered finding a pair of matching sideboards? I find it balances everything out in the room. I agree with Elena above love your book cases they look really fab! If you fed up with just books try taking a few out and add interesting shelf sitters like beautiful glass paper weights or candles in deep jars with a lid (don't want to catch the whole lot on fire!) photos of children or grandchildren in black and white, you can photo copy an original coloured one and end up with a trendy black and white photos. They all look great just dont over do it and take too many books away. Good luck on your decorating adventure and I am serious about your ''big boy'' lmbo Hope some of things I suggested helps. Good luck sweetie xx

wendy_sloane thanked Pammy Boudreaux
  • wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Pammy, I would love to sell it - especially if it is going to a good home, and to meet its brother/sister. It is painted in Annie Sloan chalk paint - a slight mixture of colours. How would we go about doing this? I am new to Houzz...

• daztench
    7 years ago

Iam sorry but I think the book case totally dominates the room .. It would look much less cluttered without it . The fireplace is lovely leave it as it is .

• wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Juicy and Ski - that is sound advice. I am thinking of getting rid of one of the couches and getting two chairs, and buying small sideboards.

• wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Elena and buckseco furniture: There are two problems with moving the bookshelves. First, they are built in. Secondly, I purposely did not want them on either side of the fireplace (although I am first to admit that may have been a mistake). In my previous property I had the same fireplace (yes, I brought it with me!) with bookshelves on either side. I lived there 18 years. I was tired of looking at the same wall day after day after day, which is why I had the bookcases built on the opposite wall this time around. I think they are there to stay.

• wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    7 years ago

msclelluk - That may be good advice but I never know where to find one who I agree with! And paying for someone else's taste is a bit of an anathema to me; I would rather listen to all your opinions here, as they are helping me to shape my own.

• wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    7 years ago

daztench - Reading is perhaps more important that clutter...

• wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lynsey Jane Designs: I love the idea of two chairs and a couch facing each other in front of the bookcase. But the fireplace is not centred in the middle of the room. Does that matter? Love your ideas...

• wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pammy Boudreaux - I just sent you a PM on Facebook, assuming it's you. Look in your "other" folder and please reply! Thanks

• PRO
    Lynsey Jane Designs
    7 years ago
    @wendy_sloane
    Hi Wendy, without seeing the room it's difficult to tell if it will work. But by getting rid of the two large pieces you will begin to see your room again. Play with the space. A great trick is to mark out coffee table and chairs with tape or cardboard. How does it feel to walk around the room or how much space it leaves you. Another great tip is to draw you room and furniture to scale and see how it fits.
    I love symmetry but sometimes it's good to think outside the box!
    wendy_sloane thanked Lynsey Jane Designs
  • wendy_sloane
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Lynsey - I will try that!

• stabmonkey
    7 years ago

Both sideboards need to go. I have a multi drawer bisley cabinet too and it is so useful.

• mrshste
    7 years ago

Absolutely love the sideboards... they are gorgeous! Its a shame that they are too large for the space.

I would move the gramophone to the right alcove, and get a smaller sideboard for the left hand side. Add some big artwork in either side in bright colours to lighten the space.

I'd also keep the sofa in front of the bookshelves, but replace the one in front of the window. It seems to be blocking the light.

A final thing, I would probably arrange the bookshelves so there is a bit more order to them. I do not mean to be insulting here. Perhaps colour-coordinate the books, or sort by height. Or leave a few half shelves empty.

Lovely room by the way.

• PRO
    Anna Siodelska
    7 years ago

I think that the fire place is beautiful as it is and does not need any make up!! The sideboard on the right is no so big at all and if painted with different colour than grey and distressed could become a much lighter piece with its own character. I would take the top off the left one and again shabby chick it, filling the doors with ornaments to make it more interesting. It is amazing what a transformation you can achieve with a bit of chalk paint!

I am using chalk paint for my oversized wooden clocks and it can give an amazing look to a piece for wood:

Giant Shabby Chic Wooden Wall Clock

Contemporary Large Wooden Wall Clock

Rustic Oversized Handmade Wall Clock

Give it try before you get rid of them:)

Anna

• Vonn
    2 years ago

Please keep the jaw dropping fireplace or sell it to me. It is just stunning.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.