meanmango

Need ideas for redecorating dark and dated living area

meanmango
8 years ago

Hi,

I'm finally ready to tackle this dark and gloomy room (the photos were taken on a very sunny day!).

It has a very dark and unattractive brick, grey flagstone floors, orange pine everywhere, dark green staircase, small rosewood windows and benches and magnolia walls. I'm desperate to bring light in, but new windows and skylights are not in the budget at the moment, and all the painting would be done by me.

I'd love to go white/grey/natural wood, but it has to tie in with the current magnolia gloss kitchen which is relatively new and can't be tackled at the moment.

I'd like to paint the brick white, but was thinking about maybe leaving one wall unpainted (behind the wood burner in the first photo?).

I wanted to paint the pine grey, but I'm worried that colourwise it may be a bit too cold with the grey flagstone floor. Currently thinking of whitewashing the pine, perhaps Annie Sloane, so a bit of warmth is left and the wood shows through, but isn't as orange.

The windows are rosewood and very small. Should I paint them and if so, what colour? If I leave the wall untouched behind the wood burner, should I leave the windows, as they blend in?

The staircase is dark green, but I want to paint it black or dark grey.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Any ideas gratefully accepted!

Comments (30)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.