barrie_manners

Design Dilemma - Living room, caught in two minds.

Barrie Manners
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi,

My name is Barrie and i am an Englishman living in South Korea. I have recently decorated a downstairs living/dining room as it will hopefully be one of the rooms used in our new photo studio. It's important that i point this out as it's not necessarily important that it has a true flow as the camera obviously only points towards 1 part of the room at a time. I have no prior experience and feel well out of my depth.

My original idea was to make a Victorian (Well European style) dark walled moody living and now it has turned into something somewhat different. My wife had a carpenter make us some lovely doors which i painted black and gold, and then she installed a fireplace which i painted black. Then came adding the white baroque style moulding.... I had reservations from the beginning and argued that all the moulding should be the same color (gold) We then purchased a chandelier which i sprayed blue (why?) After this the room had no real identity so i decided to spray paint and reupholster a ding table and 4 chairs. I thought that it might work having a mix of old with some very bright colors and in truth it still might. So my dilemma is do i try go for a more normal traditional style or can someone please give us some advice?

The floor is laminate and i would love to stain it much darker but I understand it's not possible to do that. I think a rug would also be nice and maybe help bring things together but before that i think there are a lot of other issues to address. I am also aware that the room is still a bit empty and needs more ornaments/personal items which i don't have. It is difficult to say the least to source/afford the items i want whilst living in South Korea.

I have uploaded some photos and hope someone can kindly give me some help :-)

Below are a few photos of the style i wish i could create

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.