iricha

What are the advantages and disadvantages of crital doors versus alumi

Looking to change our bifolding doors to crital doors but trying to understand what are the pluses/minuses with the crital solution. Aesthetically they are gorgeous. Just want to make sure we are not giving up on other things. Thank you!
Raw House · More Info

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Alice Sparks Ltd
    7 years ago

Hi Irini

there is not much difference really in price quality of the steel is stronger.

I would be happy to provide you with a quotation for your project. We custom make these and design for you.

Please email me asltd16@outlook.com. - UK website underdevelopment

alice@glassdeco.eu - global partner for exotic decorative requests

attached is a recent project

look forward to hearing from you

Alice

• kmizzlee
    7 years ago
    Hi Irini

As a Crittall owner myself (although it's original 1930 single glazed) I am a huge fan!

However, there are lots of pros and cons to consider - and presuming that you will be looking at double glazed?

Crittall is generally more expensive, but has very slimline frames. The downside of this is that the thermal value of Crittall tends not to be as high as aluminium. The slim frames makes locking and ironmongery a bit more difficult, so it relies on standard locks and slider bolts for security. The door base detail is not very robust - and can allow water ingress unless you have a good external threshold drain. There is a steel window system called Secco which has a thermal break on the steel frame which can help.

Aluminium tends to have much thicker frames, but these are thermally broken, and adds to the overall improved thermal qualities of the windows and doors. Sourcing stockists is easier, and you can also get treble glazed units. Also, the range of formats (ie bi-fold, sliding etc) is much greater.

Hope that helps a little :)
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.