buckleup2000

Continue splashback on side walls?

Luke Buckle
4 May, 2016
last modified: 1 June, 2016

Would you have the splashback extend onto the little side walls too?
The height will be up to the bottom of the rangehood.
Asking for a friend.

• Vy

no need..

I did it for my ensuite..looks okie but I wouldn't be doing it again..

• Bec
    Definitely yes finish splashback/tiling to wrap around side walls. See mine on the left of this photo. Gives a much nicer finish.
    Luke Buckle thanked Bec
  • cat71
    I would! Sometimes when the little areas don't get tiled they look like they've been forgotten.
  • Luke Buckle
    The Hither Green Shaker Kitchen by deVOL · More Info
  • pipq
    I would, otherwise looks unfinished.
  • SueM
    I would continue the splash back all the way around at the same height as the range hood. As cat71 and pipq said, it looks unfinished if it's not continued.
    Luke Buckle thanked SueM
  • clikmania
    We didn't continue on the sides as would have looked too boxed in ....
    Luke Buckle thanked clikmania
  • mldesign0401

If the splashback will be a notable colour or material, then yes.

because it will need to make sense and visually will enclose the cooking zone.

if it is to be less a feature then no.

I think without over had cabinets there's nothing to frame the very obvious boundary between where a splashback ends and walls begin, so I'd include a shelf at this junction, to try to blend the splashback into the wall with colour matched glass.

having said that, if it's tiled, id always suggest without upper cabinetry to splurge on tiling the entire back wall only! Sides not necessary and the impact of the stand alone rangehood against them is a real standout.

Luke Buckle thanked mldesign0401
  • robandlyn

In this case, I would definitely do the sides too - because the window is so near the end, if there is just a small piece of tiling to the left of it, it will look wrong.

• millersx4
    Yes. The sink is close to the side wall so you need protection from the water there. If you don't want it to 'stand' out too much pick a tile/glass colour that'll blend into the wall.
  • Luke Buckle

@mldesign0401 good question. My friend's plan is to have white subway tiles with dark grey grout

• Luke Buckle

@millersx4 I agree - there will be actual splashing!

• dohraime

I agree with taking tiling around the sides. The bench top appears to meet the door/window architraves at each end, so this will nicely frame the tile edge.

Was reading this older [thread[(https://www.houzz.com.au/discussions/not-happy-with-timber-island-bench-what-can-i-do-dsvw-vd~1212971?n=46) little over a week ago. Has the subways with dark grout. Looks great. Finished photos at end of thread.

Karen Goodrich Interiors

I agree, tiling both sides will look more finished. Especially in a small Kitchen, it will fill the space and protect the wall from splashes from the sink area. Good Luck!

Signature Custom Homes

It is usually a subjective aesthetic decision but as others have mentioned, with the sink so close to the wall I think it would be practical. However looking closely the architraves don't actually meet the end of your benchtop so you will need to think about tile trim to cap off the end of the subway tiles for a neat finish flush with the benchtop or take the tiles the extra 2cm to the door frame.

Luke Buckle thanked Signature Custom Homes
  • wincymeow
    Most definitely!
  • Vy

looks quite boxed in when choosing contrasting colours..if same colour as walls then no problem..

• Luke Buckle

Update - my friend has decided to continue the tiles around the walls, and says thanks to all of you for your helpful input.

I will make sure he provides me an after photo next week. :)

Karen Goodrich Interiors

Good, I think they will be happy!

• Luke Buckle

Update!

Taking on all your feedback, my friends chose to continue the tiles around the side but only as far as the bench.

They said to say thanks! Hope you like the result!

• Luke Buckle
    Photos below
  • Luke Buckle
    Now, any suggestion for the blinds?
  • girlguides
    White blinds
  • Adrian Watson
    White shutters would look nice I think
  • dohraime

White shutters or white or dark sunscreen blinds? The latter for practicality in the kitchen, I think.

• fcheah
    Right choice in continuing throughout. I think timber blinds could work to tie in the table and kitchen. If budget allows, plantation style shutters would be great.