acew1234

Renovate or rebuild?

acew1234
7 years ago
We have a beautiful plot with a 1850s scottish farm cottage typical white house style. We have stripped the house out back to its bare bones as it was in bad condition due to a very poor and cheap 1980s renovation .

We have planning permission in place for complete renovation and a larch clad full width single storey extension to the rear.
The total area of the house will be 135m2

We will be left with 3 original but in need of repair walls ..the gable ends need the roof parapets rebuilding.
We have had to dig pits for the structural engineer to inspect foundations , the walls finish 25cm under ground level...we are thinking it may need to be underpinned. The underfloor heating requires the floors to be dug out to 45cm.

Our builder ( probably more leaning to new builds than renovations) has said it'll be cheaper to knock down and start again. Vat being a consideration.

I think I agree but love older buildings although there's not much left! We may need to draw a line under the architects fees and start again.

I've told our architect we'll wait to see what the engineer has to say regarding underpinning as well as the council's reaction to replacement house.

Any advice? We seem in shock at the moment and don't seem to be able to think straight!

I live on a Scottish island if that makes a difference.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.