ocean_clarke

Downsizing - how was it for you?

Ocean Clarke
7 years ago

Whether down to practicality or financial gain, downsizing can be a great option for many people. But when your change of address affects your living situation, how do you adapt to the change?

Have you had a positive experience downsizing? Are there any tips you can share to help others prepare for the change emotionally and physically?

Whether you've progressed to a flat from a house or bought your dream home without the added luxury of space - let us know your thoughts below!

Bright & Airy Brooklyn Modern Home Design · More Info

Comments (31)

• ianthy
    7 years ago

I am looking forward to reading the comments on this question, because in 2 years time we are planning to downsize to a house that is 50% smaller than our current home.

• Sal Bags
    7 years ago
    We downsized five years ago from a large semi detached to a tiny, two bed 250 year old detached cottage. Initially my partner and I were concerned we would have no space to breathe but five years later we love our home.

The positives are that there is no space for pointless furniture, every piece has to work for us. Also because we only need a few key pieces we were able to afford decent, quality, timeless furniture.

The low ceilings means we can do most of the decorating ourselves, thus saving money.

The thick walls and not many rooms to heat results in our cottage being lovely and warm and keeps our heating bills low.
  • Related Discussions

How old were you when you bought your first home?

Q

Comments (119)
    I was 24 and my husband to be 32, back in 1978, we paid £19,500 for a 3 bed terrace in south London. Our eldest son bought in 2001 when he was 19 and on a small Royal Navy salary whist at university, sadly he sold it to pay for his wedding and hasn't got back on the ladder since. Our middle son bought aged 23 and our daughter with her then boyfriend bought their first flat at 21 and 22 straight from university in 2008 with one of the last 100% mortgages, they move next week into their third property aged 29 & 30. It's always difficult to get on the ladder but the sooner you start the better. We all live in Surrey by the way and nobody has been funded by the bank of mum and dad.
    ...See More

We have downsized to a very small Mews house in Woodbridge Suffolk.

Q

Comments (2)
    It all depends what you want to do. If you want to do anything that affects the front appearance you need an architect or an architectural technician to help with planning before getting a builder in. If your renovations are about moving doors, changing the kitchen you need a designer or concept planner. If you intend to just redecorate you could either hire a designer or you can go to a major department store as many have Personal shoppers to help you. What ever you are doing you need to be able to articulate what you want and you can use sites like Houzz to search for images you like, save them and this helps refine your thinking about what you want- you can also share your saved pictures with your professional to help brief them. Lastly you can post questions for the community to answer specific queries.
    ...See More

family of four downsizing... are we crazy?!

Q

Comments (17)
    that's a good idea. Yes, we'll definitely put a double bed in one of their rooms. The issue is that my sister comes to visit with her wife and two kids, but it's not insurmountable! We are looking into the flooding issue -it's definitely the wrong time of year to consider buying a house beside a river! The house has never been flooded (built in 2000), and is constructed above ground level. The local authority is also building flood defences in the area to mitigate future risks.
    ...See More

how do you build a brick circle under a tree? How can you prevent the

Q

Comments (8)
    Try some shade and drought tolerant plants if you want to grow owt underneath it. The ring of bricks above give a fair idea of the look. irregular stone blocks might look more natural. A narrow level trench (footings) will indeed be best to do it properly. Then some aggregate, concrete, and blobs of mortar (concrete with more sand added) between each block as you build the levels up. There will be countless vids online showing 'how-to'.
    ...See More
  • Christine Carter
    7 years ago

Two years ago I moved from a large house to a small apartment. I would suggest that you sort out your possessions before the move. Certain items I wanted, but the rest I asked family and friends to take. I still had too much stuff in the apartment and that took time to sort. I now wish I had started with a clean slate. Apartment living (which I love) is so different and I feel that I have a new life and have been able to discard a lot of what I thought were 'essential' stuff. Good luck.

• catrionamj
    7 years ago

For many years our house was a hive of activity as it accommodated four generations of our family. Now it's just two of us. I love the fact that all the rooms now "belong to me" and not a parent or adult child. I'm also loving that we have the house to ourselves. We are rattling around in it a little, and I know that one day we will have to down size, but for now I'm enjoying myself.

I am acutely aware of the inevitable "down size" and am therefore trying hard to get rid of stuff. We may have three spare bedrooms but each bedroom will just have a bed, wardrobe and spare linen for that bed. I'm determined not to fill each room with things we might need but probably won't need.

• Vicki Phillips
    7 years ago
    We downsized 18 months ago from a four bed to a 2 bed house. I found getting rid of furniture and belongings quite cathartic especially with regards to my wardrobe. We moved into a house with far fewer wardrobes and less storage. Before I moved I went through all my clothes and found many I did not wear so off to the Charity shop and those that I had left were folded rather than hung and a large chest of drawers and two small ones enabled me to store them with new wardrobe. Now a policy of a new item in means one item goes keeps the wardrobe slimmed down. Ditto books kindle or library now. No point in downsizing and trying to cram everything in!

Kindle or from the library. As a keen cook however I was reluctant to give my cookery books away.
  • wilmet45
    7 years ago
    I moved from a four bed house with a huge garden in a quiet suburb to a two bed apartment close to the city centre. I don't
    miss any of it: the garden was too large for me to manage, and I'm not a keen gardener anyway. Now I have a balcony with pot plants. I bought all new furniture for my new flat, because my old furniture was too traditional. I also managed to decluttering my wardrobes- four of them- and now have seasonal capsule wardrobes that fit in just one large built in wardrobe and a large chest of drawers. I can honestly say my life has changed for the better: I live right next door to a park, so I walk every day and my general fitness has improved. I don't drive as much- I take the bus or walk, so I'm saving on petrol. My flat is a good size, but I can still clean the whole place in an hour or two. And I love the buzz of city life.
    I would recommend starting to decluttering at least six months before the move. I found Marie Kondo's book invaluable, especially in addressing the emotional side of letting go. I would also suggest looking at new builds, as they tend to be better insulated and therefore more thermally efficient as well as quieter.
    Good luck, and best wishes for the future!
  • TwoHearts
    7 years ago
    We have a large house for just the two of us, and the gardens are nearly a full day's work once every week but we do love the space and it's something, at this time in our lives, we'd be reluctant to give up. Large or small, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters.
  • k_sedgley
    7 years ago

We downsized a few years ago, with the attitude that if we needed to store items we didn't need them. As we are getting older as well and have cleared relatives homes out quite a few times we do not want our children to have to wade through belongings/junk. No storage in attics etc for us. Less is more.

• maureen browne
    7 years ago

Difficult sharing a bathroom after leaving a 4 bed house with bathroom .en-suite & downstairs loo to move to to a 2 bed bungalow with only 1 bathroom - moved for health reasons

M.B. Cramlington

• gold895
    7 years ago
    I downsized 10 months ago from 3-bed semi to a very small 2-bed newish terrace. All I have in the way of garden is room for the washing and about 6 large pots. After initially thinking I had made a mistake I now think it was a good move. I had to get rid of so much, i.e. all bedroom furniture, sofa, table and chairs. Everything had to be downsized as well as the house but now that I am settled in it was well worth it. And the garden - well I was never a fan of gardening so a few pots are just perfect for me. Also, the housework gets done in half the time!
  • Jill Gittins
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Interesting to read so many positive comments ...... but I have to confess that 5 years down the line I'm still struggling with my downsize. To put this in perspective, in addition to my main home, for 35 years I have owned a one-bed holiday flat. I have always found the tiny holiday flat to be exactly what I want. But when it comes to my 'real' home my needs are different. My holiday place has only to satisfy limited criteria, but my 'real' life is more complex, and on this score the downsize is frustrating. Ditching unnecessary stuff was easy, editing down, keeping just the best, buying bespoke to make the most of the space ..... even so, it's the space that I miss, "the luxury of space" as Sir Terrence Conran so memorably said!

• Stephen Edwards
    7 years ago

One of the things I notice is that there seems to be an expectation that downsizing has to mean tiny. It is a shame that developers don't appear to build bungalows anymore and that the main rooms in many new-builds seem tiny; I have no problem doing without an en-suite bathroom if it means bigger rooms.

I'm afraid my own attempt did not go to plan, whilst I now have fewer
    rooms they are much larger so I ended up buying more and bigger
    furniture as my old stuff looked wrong. I doubt this will be my last
    move, maybe I'll get it right next time.

• Diane Clarkson
    7 years ago
    We have just downsized, last Wednesday, from a family sized 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom terrace in an over 55's development. I have to say that it is a large ultra modern house, built about 7 years ago, set in the NT grounds of Cliveden House with access to the woodland etc.
    We love it here already, no having to take the car to walk our dog, just step out of the gate.
    We spent the six months before moving, clearing out 30 years of ' stuff ' that had accumulated in the loft & our second garage.
    You have to be more than ruthless, all those ' things ' that you put in the loft, just in case, that haven't seen the light of day for years, have to go ! All those souvenirs & mementoes, go, as do you think your kids will really want them when you go?!
    The worst to clear was the kitchen, I had a twenty foot kitchen & filled it. I gave away surplus china etc, no room in my new 10' square ! When we arrived last week, we realised we hadn't got rid of enough, despite many, many visits to Thames Valley Hospice & also the ' dump ' , so still made a visit to dump & TV hospice already & another tomorrow.
    So, all of you just setting out.........please don't keep anything you don't need to.
    We are very happy here & know we won't look back.
  • M J
    7 years ago

We downsized 7 months ago from a 6 bed, three bathroom house to a 3 bed one bath one shower house. I have to say, I have found the whole process difficult. The clearing out of lots of furniture was hard since I'd spent years working and saving to buy it all in the first place. We have nearly finished some renovation which has made it particularly difficult. Removing a wall and having a kitchen full of rubble was very stressful. However, I am hoping by the end of summer we'll be more settled and the reasons for the downsize are still present so hopefully it will all work out in the end. Like a previous writer said, the difficulty is less space. Good luck!

• sharonnormanton
    7 years ago

Our large edwardian semi had for many years been a hive of activity, it was a great space for entertaining family and friends and our kids always had their friends to stay, it was wonderful. However, with the passing of time, the kids jumped ship and many of our elderly relatives are no longer with us and our once very lively home became a very quiet and partly lived in house. I remember an estate agent once told me, "too many people as they get older, leave it too late to move". So with this bit of "inside information" we decided to downsize. I regretted it instantly, walking into the new house, instead of being excited, I felt very low. Although prior to moving in, I knew the house, which had be built in the 1940s, had never been remodeled and that is what had first attracted me to it, I could see its potential and so I could not understand why I was feeling so down. With hind sight I realise now it wasn't all about the house, it was the sadness of letting go of the way we were, perhaps we down sized too early, we were just into our 50's. And so the money we had made in selling the family home all went on upsizing this house and I have to say it's a great house now and even better than the previous family home because I've designed it myself and it's now big enough for when the kids and their families come home to stay. Perhaps one day if we decide to downsize again, it will be the right time.

• katypercy
    7 years ago
    We moved from a 7 BR Georgian villa, to a 4 BR 1920's semi. We downsized in order to afford a move into the city from the countryside; we have 4 children still living at home. I had to sort through a box room full of old schoolwork, art, toys and baby clothes; I'd kept it all for years as I had the room. I allowed myself to keep one 'memory box' of treasured items for each child. The rest I photographed and threw away/gave to charity. It was cathartic! However, once we moved I found the adjustment to a smaller house very hard (even though I adore the house). It took me over 6 months to overcome the feeling that I'd made a terrible mistake. Expect it to take time to get used to!
  • westwest114
    7 years ago
    We moved four months ago from a spacious three bedroom bungalow with a large conservatory and lovely garden to a two bedroom cottage with an unloved empty garden.
    I initially missed the space and I thought letting go of much loved furniture and treasures was hard, but I didn't appreciate how much I would miss the garden. It's been a joy over the past few weeks to start creating my new garden and make the cottage a home.
    I guess my advice when downsizing would be not to think only about space and possessions but also give thought to lifestyle and what brings you pleasure.
  • glossyprince
    7 years ago

I downsized in 2008 from a huge 4 bed to a tiny modern 2 bed terrace. I guess a third of my life went in the bin the week of moving. I cant now remember what there was. The rest went into boxes and they are still taped up and sitting in a garage. I have now moved to an even smaller house in the country, a single storey footprint of 4m by 9m. My interior life consists of my batterie de cuisine, an ipod, a kindle and a scanner / shredder partnership with computer and hard drives and some basic clothes. Very minimal. I reserve my clutter for the tools and stuff that i need for gardening and DIY; my outside , hobbyist life. My luxury of space is now outside. And I love it

• glossyprince
    7 years ago

I owned a korean ceramic bowl from about 1066 AD. Almost a thousand years old but with a crack in it making it worth only £200 ish. For thirty years I took this bowl wrapped in paper in a very strong box through 6 house moves. I never had anywhere to display it and was partly scared of breaking it. It was a possession that for me was an emotional liability not an asset.

An antiques collecting friend had his house burnt down. He lost everything. When I went to dinner one night, I gave him this bowl. He unpacked it. Loved it and then poured pistachio nuts into the bowl and offered me one.

Possessions are not meant for everyone. For others they are a joy.

• janwatson
    7 years ago
    I moved from a very large 4 bed with lots of land around me to a three bed just over a year age. I love the house and it suits all my needs.
    But find living so close to my neighbours after so many years a challenge I miss my own space and privacy.
    One of the reason for my move was I couldn't manage the large garden on my own, and it became quite heart breaking to see it become such a mess.
    But to end a positive note I love my smaller garden, I don't find it such a challenge. And as I designed it myself it's just how I want it which I've never had before and it beautiful, and everyone tells how pretty it is which makes me happy. As I love gardening.
  • clwyd
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We moved from a 4-bed, 2 reception 1930s semi. A lovely family home that we were just rattling around in. My husband was quite happy to continue to 'rattle' but I found the upkeep hard - and he was just happy to leave it as it was. Eventually we found a renovated home which ticked all the boxes interior wise and which we both liked (liked, not loved). Herein lies the problem - for me anyway. It's just not my style and I am struggling to make it so.

With hindsight - we souks have got rid of all our furniture instead of keeping the best and trying to make it work. It doesn't.

Also - we are one bedroom less than we need for visiting grandchildren and guests - and I now struggle for space for my hobbies.

I find myself thinking longingly of our old home and of moving back and doing it up from scratch. That is still an option to us since it rented out.

My advice to anyone would be to make sure you love the property moving into and you are halfway to making it work for you and don't try to make the old stuff fit the new space. But for what suits the new home and enjoy the process...it will help you to settle down.

Appreciate this is easier said than done...

• roshs
    7 years ago
    We moved from a large four bed roomed house to a two bedroom flat. We got rid of so much and I haven't missed any of it but it isn't working for us. We are now in a light and spacious flat but bedroom two has to serve as a second sitting room if one of us wants to read quietly or play music while the TV is on, a guest bedroom, a study and somewhere to dry clothes. It is driving me mad and it never feels tidy and organised in there. We also miss a garden of our own. So ... we are upsizing after two years. I agree with those who have said how hard it is to let go of treasured furniture that took a great deal of effort to buy over the years, particularly since antiques are not sought after or of the same value now. It feels hard to replace these with modern light furniture more suited to a newer home but I agree it is the right thing to do to make the new home work and feel like a fresh start. We are just about to move now and I simply can't wait.
  • artemisia_cp
    7 years ago
    We moved from a 3 bed Victorian terrace (high ceilings, decorative mouldings, huge kitchen/diner) in the city to a 1 bed park home in the middle of a wood just over 3 months ago and we feel rejuvenated!
    Our reasons for moving were a combination of financial (we now live mortgage-free) and for health reasons. it was a little difficult at first to let our possessions go but we soon became almost addicted to giving items to charity or friends/family, selling items online and even some at auction - which was a first time and exciting experience.
    Like the couple in the 250 year old cottage we have been able to buy new items of furniture and have an uncluttered mid century style.
    We now spend much less time on housekeeping, utility bills are a third of our old house, and we are spending hours outdoor.
    Mentally and physically it has been a wonderful move for us and the only downside so far is the beginning of an addiction to garden nurseries and plant catalogues! !
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    7 years ago

My husband and I downsized 4 years ago from a comfortable 4 bed detached house in an acre of woods and gardens to a small, 2 bed semi with a small garden. Our reasons for the move were concerns over future housing developments affecting the stream that ran next to our property, my redundancy affecting our ability to meet bills and the upkeep of both the property and land as were were getting older.

My husband found our new home with it's views of surrounding farmland and woods and I instantly knew that by extending on 2 levels, we could make it the perfect home for the 2 of us with occassional friends staying. Although I would have liked to start the interior decoration from scratch, finances dictated and we've kept most of our treasured furniture and accessories, selling off or giving away what wouldn't fit into our new lives.

Although I spent 5 months prior to our move paring down our possessions, my husband could not envisage doing without his extensive music collection or his hobby materials. We wasted a great deal of money on storage, while we acclimatized ourselves to a smaller environment, finally selling off the unwanted or the unnecessary.

I don't think you're ever totally able to give up your past, but adjust, over time, making your new environment fit your new life.

• bagpuss2
    7 years ago
    I moved from a large semi detached bungalow in Caithness to a new build 2 storey house in Angus. My new place is stunning, has a view and three bathrooms- but minimal storage. IKEA is sorting out the storage - and last year Marie Kondo set me on the right track for the life laundry. We don't move for one reason only- this took me nearer family, friends and things I enjoy doing. Living in rental proved we don't need that much furniture anyway
  • barbaralawton
    7 years ago

It was the best thing to do for this stage in our lives. Each home we had fitted our circumstances at the time; no children to a growing busy family back to occasional family. We left our 5 bedroom Victorian town house with the typical large rooms which we had lived in for 20 years and the location we had been in for over 30 years We had created a small but beautiful walled garden and I had to travel by car to my allotment. Having decided to move we spent time sorting the house to make the best of marketing it. We went through all the boxes of photographs, (my three boys having a good giggle), threw the unnecessary or duplicate ones away, then sent them off to be put on CD. We kept the shoe box full of photos as well just in case..... I put all my boys school stuff into separate boxes and they had to decide what to do with it. One did not even look at it, one looked and then dumped and one selected a few bits he wanted. As a joint exercise it was a wonderful family time and trip down memory lane. We had several sweeps through our belongings. Each time it was obvious what was not needed. Items given away, sold donated or dumped. It also became easier each time to let go of the things we previously thought we wanted. Finally storage for some bits then we moved into a rented flat whilst we looked for our next property. By the time we found it, and with the process of moving most of what was in storage was not needed emotionally or physically either. We are now 300 miles away in a two bedroom cottage in the middle of a forest. We are renovating it and adapting it (not enlarging) as we go, in fact turning it into a one bedroom property but with flexible other rooms. We do have the advantage of a mezzanine bedroom holiday conversion attached which we are using whilst the work is happening. This small space living is focusing us even further. Financially we are much better off, I am creating the home of my dreams, we have entered a new welcoming community and a totally new way of life. Our boys love visiting. We have been here for 18 months and so glad we have done it. Cathartic, most definitely, happier certainly, the right thing for this stage of our lives yes.

• HU-611253145
    3 years ago

Hi all, I moved from a four bed detached bungalow, with lakeside views, clubhouse, field, large drive, totally secluded by evergreens.. to a end terrace in an estate. Did it to release much needed money, I moved over a year and a half ago, I admit I find it very tough, that's why I came on here to vent and find people in similar positions. My neighbours are lovely and don't make noise, but I miss the privacy in the garden, we have a small fenced yard. My husband tried to explain it was only bricks and motar and there's only the two of us, we never had company, but I miss the waters edge, and how calming it was, the bird song, having money is great, but without anywhere to go during lockdown I havnt been able to enjoy it. Simply put ..home is where the heart is, just im miserable 😅 sometimes i think its just me, im wanting far too much out of life, take what's given, just wish I had thought this through, oh well! Im here now. Cheer up, wise up!

• clwyd
    3 years ago

Hello HU-6112,

I can understand your feelings on your downsize, particularly over this past 'covid year - or can be a wrench to leave a much loved home for whatever reason - even if you think you had good reason to move! Sounds like you've hardly had chance to get used to your new home and lockdown, rather than give you that chance, has made you feel like a fish out of water. I hope that as restrictions ease and you can come and go, that you begin to feel much better.

If not, and it's in your scope to do so, you may be able to find another property which is a compromise between your original home and the current one?

I wish you all the best.

• clwyd
    3 years ago

I first posted in this thread some 4 years ago - after we had downsized from our 4x bed semi to a smaller more modern home that ticked all the boxes and was in a lovely area.

The re-reading of that post - having now been in our home for 8 years - has come at a timely moment, as we are on the move again! I think I always knew there was another move to be made - and we simply found out home to small now that we are both semi-retired yet working from home.

We are one bedroom and one workroom short.

A neighbours proposed extension gave us the push to move but because of property shortages at this time, the lovely home that we have found is situated on a busy corner and I am worried that I will miss the peace and quiet of my current home area - and that maybe it may be difficult therefore to settle and get used to traffic and school noise.

I appreciate that alot of folk live with traffic noise and its a normal thing for them, but we never have! Hubby said we will get used to it - the house is just our style and we'll be fine. I'm just feeling nervous about it.

The new post above from HU-6112 brought me to revisit my forgotten post.

• M J
    3 years ago

Hi Hu and Clwyd. I first posted on this thread about 4 years ago too. We were 7 months into our new downsized house. All the sensible reasons for downsizing still exist. We freed up a lot of money, the garden here is manageable and we have less to clean. We can walk to all the shops, the doctors, dentist, a canal and the beach. It is a beautiful area. We rarely use the car as all our needs are met here. But, I will always miss my last house. I will always miss the huge garden where I could look out of every window and see greenery. But mostly, I miss space. For me, there is a feeling of calm to be had from space. On paper this house ticks all the boxes, but emotions are more complicated than that. It wouldn't make sense for us to move again for all the above reasons but I will never feel the joy in this house that I did in my previous house. I sympathise and empathise with Hu.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.