drfeelgood10

Need help on flooring for Edwardian house with contemporary extension

AR
7 years ago

We are trying to bring back to life an Edwardian house we bought in a probate sale after years of neglect. We are trying to keep the old part of the house true to it's period but are putting a contemporary extension on the rear (the breakfast room, kitchen and dining/family room are all open plan).

The extension has a pitched roof:

Our dilemma is what to do with the flooring. We are having underfloor heating throughout the ground floor so need something that works with this. We were hoping to go with the same floor throughout but are not hell-bent on this. We need something that will withstand the practicalities of a kitchen and also everything that two under 5s can throw at it/bounce off!

Other considerations are a light gloss grey contemporary kitchen (grigio platino lucido in the photo) we have already bought and the worktops are yet to be decided (poss white stone) - views very welcome.

The lounge that comes off the breakfast room is also planned to be kept in its traditional style despite being encased with the contemporary parts and only accessed through here. We were hoping to keep it purposefully quite a dark coloured room.

We had considered the following options:

1. Dark engineered wood herringbone. Pros: Fits the period style and would probably work with the kitchen. Cons: Reports from friends about the engineered wood not being good with spills in the kitchen (warping and taking on dirt/stains).

2. Wood effect porcelain tiles in herringbone. Pros: Would fit all of the practicality aspects. Cons: not sure how proven this format is, worried that the tiles might not look like either tiles or wood(!), concerned about the echoey effect.

3. Natural stone tiles in the hall, carpet in the living room and then possibly the same sort of flooring throughout the open plan area and lounge.

We are quite stuck and would welcome any advice on our options or any ideas or suggestions. Many thanks.

Comments (21)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.