claremikesutton

Is our picture rail original 1930s or a strange 1970s addition?

Clare S
7 years ago

Advice welcomed please on whether our picture rail is an original 1930s feature or a much later addition?

The walls of our 1930s house have evidence that they used to have a picture rail at normal height (18" below ceiling) as the plaster bears a line in 1930s dark wood stain.

There is another picture rail still in situ, oddly only 1.5" below ceiling. Our guess was that it was a later addition, badly installed at a weird height. There's no sign on the adjacent plaster to suggest that it was ever painted other than white.

However, on taking down the first strip, we found it had actually been fixed with 3" perpendicular wooden wedges at right angles to the wall. These wedges were cut with a chisel and embedded into the original brickwork. There has never been any skim plaster under this rail (it rests on rough

plaster, with the skim going up to the rail). Seems like a very labour intensive way of installing them from the 1970s onwards?

The history of the house is that very little changed from the 1930s until it had a whole-scale refurbishment around 1976. Very little has then been done until we arrived last month!

Many thanks for any advice offered.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.