benson1980

Conservatory revamp/replacement

Simon
7 years ago

Hi, we bought our house a few years ago with a conservatory already built on the back. It is probably about 10 years old and the usual UPVC type structure with polycarb roof. Attached is a picture....

Amongst other things to give us more living space, I was looking at making the conservatory a proper second living room that we could use all year round. The existing conservatory suffers from the usual problems in terms of being too cold in winter although it does have a good outlook with being south/west facing.

I was initially thinking of just replacing it with an orangery style extension with lantern roof which obviously isn't going to be cheap and I'm pretty sure the foundations aren't going to be sufficient.

If we were to go for an upgrade in terms of more modern structure with a better roof (like an aluminium conservatory perhaps?) and put a radiator in there (we do have some solid wall space where a vertical radiator could be installed), are there any good options? Priorities would be better insulated and retain a mostly glazed structure, as his lets loads of light into our kitchen/diner behind, and have something that is more aesthetically pleasing than just white upvc.

Was perhaps thinking something similar to this style perhaps? Would something like this be relatively well insulated and warm enough to use in winter?

Googling just brings up loads of people saying to build an extension. Any thoughts or advice from people would be much appreciated.

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.