kellyapte

Do we need to pay for extra design fees re. rsj after plans are done?

kellyapte
7 years ago

We are now half way through our build: 2 storey and loft conversion. Things are going well enough-ish. Building Regs have come to inspect the 'structural' part of the build only to find a few things they need changing. One is in the part of the house that should be 'untouched'.... namely the through lounge/diner. The arch between the once-two-rooms has had to have its' beam exposed to assess. They have now come to the conclusion that this current old beam is 'grossly over-stressed' and now needs to be taken out and a new one put in, thus a design fee. We are a bit cross that this didn't get flagged up at the beginning. It is now a 4 storey house and this particular steel is on the 1st floor/ground floor. We have been told by architect that it needs replacing as soon as. The builder advises and reassures us that it can be done in a month or so... no rush. But we are worried the weight above like the new sanitaryware in the ensuite will compromise the weight above. Can anyone advise us on the extra costings and the need for this urgency? Thank you.

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.