jenworldwide

Bedroom blank canvas!

jenworldwide
6 June, 2016

Hello all,

My husband and I are moving into our new house in a couple of weeks. I am usually very bold with design and like bright and bold colours, but I am starting to feel that the bedroom would be better kept a little calmer and more neutral. We have just bought a new bed - 'Amelie' by Feather and Black - see pics below, so I guess to some extent we can build the bedroom design around this. I think we will end up choosing a grey for the walls (does seem to be very popular these days!) but can anyone recommend a shade of grey that isn't too bleak/cold? Also any other design ideas greatly received. It's an Edwardian house, see pics below of how the current owner has it which is all a bit bland for my liking! Would you all keep the fireplace black? Thought about a metallic grey or another colour but maybe this isn't doing it justice. Thanks in advance, Jennie.

Style Within Limited

Hi - there are plenty of warm greys which you can sample - for instance, Farrow and Ball have Cornforth White; Little Greene's Limestone is a close match. If you buy a sample pot, we suggest you paint a couple of large A0 boards or some spare plain lining paper / wallpaper, so you can walk it around the room and see it in different lights and in different parts of the wall. You can also use these boards as the background to a "mood board" when choosing your fabrics, carpets, etc.

Hope this helps.

Nick

• jenworldwide

This does help a lot, thanks Nick. Great tip on painting the boards to move around the room and check the colour in different lights, thank you again. Jennie

• Miguel A

Jennie,

Love the idea of subtle greys and if you can always add that impactful piece of art above the bed and the mantlepiece for the extra WOW factor. You can find plenty of affordable original art these days online for any purpose and my go to place is always Artfinder (they have over 7,000 independent artists). With this link you get some credit to get you started as well.

Good luck with the design and of course the move!!!

Miguel

jenworldwide thanked Miguel A
    Pret A Vivre

Hi Jenny, the low cornice in your bedroom is a good feature to play with in the colour scheme. It is always effective to paint wood works in a darker shade than the walls. It gives character to the room. In warm greys, we would suggest Farrow&Ball Ammonite for the walls and Purbeck Stone for the cornice and door next to the window. These are the 2 shades around Cornforth White in the colour chart. You will have a nice contract with the white ceiling coming down to the cornice. Think also about window dressing to incorporate to your scheme. What about a roman blind with white and grey borders to echo the walls and ceiling and a 3rd colour to add some interest? See the example of the blind in the picture below where the warm blue brings live and interest to the neutrals grey and white. A roman blind is always a good solution for a sash window with a radiator below. The Pret A Vivre team

jenworldwide thanked Pret A Vivre
  • bookworm987

Dulux French Mist is a lovely warm blue grey

jenworldwide thanked bookworm987
    Nellie Vin

with your bed and because this is Edwardian house may I suggest this color scheme [Traditional[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/cotswold-house-country-bedroom-london-phvw-vp~85606510)