peckadoodle

Floor choice

peckadoodle

We're ready to put a new floor down in our extension and have ordered sage green kitchen units. We need to get the floors ordered but cannot decide between a light coloured floor or a dark slate. We haven't ordered worktops yet as we're sourcing these from elsewhere. Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received!

• minnie101

Hi. Have you actually chosen the worktop yet? A white quartz would look nice with wood

• peckadoodle

That looks lovely and is exactly the kind of look we want to achieve. We were looking at a granite worktop initially in honed black but haven't ruled anything out. We thought that if we got a nice floor then we could work out the worktop afterwards. We hadn't actually thought of having a wood flooring as we've got a lot of wood in the house already.

• minnie101

I think wood somewhere in a kitchen is nice to soften it against all the hard surfaces everywhere. I would definitely look at the floor and worktop at the same time though.

Limestone with lots of colour variation for warmth is also nice with a light worktop. It is however hard underfoot and anything dropped will break! Dark floors (as do very light) also show up the dirt easily. If your walls are staying white, a lighter floor may be better so there's less contrast as it will make the space feel bigger

Josefina

Both sounds great! However, wood feels a bit more classic - so depends on what look you're after! But if you have wood worktops, I would go a little bit crazy with polished concrete floor. It will be a very nice contrast. Have you ever considered that? I would love to do that in a future house..

Sagiper North America
    Agree with a white quartz worktop and lime
    Sagiper North America
    Agree with a white quartz worktop and limestone flooring.
  • peckadoodle

Thank you for all your advise. It's definitely given us food for thought! This is the floor we think we've decided on.

What colour worktop would be best do you think? We're debating either a black or cream range too. .

this is the kitchen we've picked although there will just be units at the bottom and no higher ones due to the height of the roof.

• peckadoodle

Amber Jeavons Ltd

Hello Peckadoodle,

So with a stone style flooring it would still be nice to go with a light marble like granite with again a beige (this time) and sage vein if you can find something. Chrome range would be lovely with the colours.. It would be dramatic without dominating the eye view. So ideally you see the kitchen as a whole.. Exciting times ahead.. :))

• Dundrum 16
    If that floor tile is textured, consider the cleaning implications. I had a floor very like that in my last house, and unfortunately the grout and indentations became quite discoloured in heavy work and traffic areas. With two dogs running in and out, it was difficult - even with a steam mop- to keep clean.
  • peckadoodle

Very exciting thanks AJ Interiors! We've been using a 2mx2m kitchen so far and it's far too small! I think I'm swaying towards having a lighter worktop too.

Dundrum-the floor is travertine which has a few textured bits in but not a lot so it should be OK to clean. We have a baby who makes A LOT of mess so need flooring that is practical too.

Our table (which we have to keep) is oak coloured which will match the beams with dark leather chairs. As much as I'd love to change the chairs, our budget is stretched to maximum! I had originally wanted to go for a rustic look in the kitchen but I think it's ending up as a more polished look.

Amber Jeavons Ltd
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello Peckadoodle,

Well you can always change things later on when you find those chairs you might prefer... I too am on the hunt for chairs! Enjoy the process of completing your kitchen and then sit back and consider what if anything you might need.. : ))

peckadoodle thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • Victoria
    I'd second what Dundrum says about the floor. Travertine or anything with a texture can be a nightmare to keep clean, with a baby in the house I'd choose something with a smoother finish.
  • peckadoodle

Ah ok. Thing is we wanted something with a riven surface and not smooth as it's an old cottage. I don't like sleek and shiny! Any suggestions? My husband has ruled out wood!

Amber Jeavons Ltd
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hello Peckadoodle,

If Stone isn't an option either then how about concrete? Microcement can be a fantastic and stylish finish that comes in a variety of finishes and colours for texture and interest... Walls to the floor specialise in this.. I personally love concrete and this might be an idea you haven't considered.. : ))

• Victoria
    Why has your husband ruled out wood? What about a wood effect porcelain tile?
  • peckadoodle

He's not keen on idea as there's already a huge amount of wood in the house. I am trying to persuade him that wooden flooring would look lovely with a sage kitchen!

Amber Jeavons Ltd

Hello Peckadoodle,

It would especially if you inject some design into it for texture.. It should be a decision arrived at by you both though! :))

• peckadoodle

True! Especially as I'm not paying!

Natural Stone Consulting

hi peckadoodle. If you haven't already made your minds up, take a look at a couple of the pictures below. All the stones have a smooth surface (so don't trap dirt like someone else has mentioned) and they are also all hard, durable limestone so are great for a busy home. The more grey tiles still have a lot of warmth in them and all of them have aged edges so would fit perfectly in your old cottage. We have many more stones on our website so take a look or give us a call if you want any more advice about how we could help. www.naturalstoneconsulting.co.uk

Chalon Grey limestone kitchen floor · More Info

Bastille Bleu limestone kitchen flooring · More Info

Faringdon flagstones · More Info

peckadoodle thanked Natural Stone Consulting
  • Alecia
    I agree with most of the other posters, definitely keep it light on the worktop. Also black is a nightmare if it is a busy kitchen! We installed it in our flat and when we moved back in with our daughter for a few months during a building project, I regretted it!
    peckadoodle thanked Alecia
  • peckadoodle

I think we've decided on a mid grey riven slate. It won't hopefully have holes to trap the dirt and isn't so dark that it'll show up anything that the baby has thrown! The slate has green tints in places too. We'll then look at getting a lighter work surface. I think that when the chairs are changed to something which is a lighter painted colour then they'll look nice too.

Natural Stone Consulting

Forgive the sales pitch but I couldn't miss the opportunity to give you a link to our grey riven slate page : )

http://www.naturalstoneconsulting.co.uk/slate-dalian-grey-slate-tiles

• peckadoodle

I've just had a look at your website and it looks nice. It's not a website that comes up when you type into Google. What's the lead time on this slate?

Natural Stone Consulting

Hi Peckadoodle. We only need three or four days to sort and deliver an order of slate as long as we have stock. If you wanted to get in touch directly you can email info@naturalstoneconsulting.co.uk or call us on 0845 5218 700. Are you in the UK?

• gillcar
    Hello Peckadoodle
    I've just stumbled upon your dilemma and I may be too late to add to the discussion.. But here goes!
    In our last house we opted for charcoal grey slate-type floor tiles and a black work surface...NEVER again!!! I'm no stranger to mops and a dishcloth... but every single crumb was evident on both floor and worktop and I was forever brushing & wiping- a pain in the neck! The kitchen which was fairly bright, lost a lot of its airiness.

This time round we have chosen pale work tops and pale grey/clay- coloured tiles with a bit of texture. I found it helpful to borrow a tile sample and 'lived' with it on the floor for a while. I even splashed water on it to see if it dried streaky or left water marks.

I also thought very seriously about wood effect tiles for our kitchen floor. Cheaper ones really can look like tiles trying to be wood but any mid-priced ones can look super. I'd have gone for these but my other half despises them so I had to forget about them. Good luck with your choices!
  • peckadoodle

Hi. Thanks for your comment! We've just ordered, I'm afraid! We've gone for a lighter grey tile which has patterns too so I'm hoping that it doesn't show too much dirt! I really hope that we don't regret it! As for the worktop, I think we might go for a lighter style top so that it doesn't bring the room in too much. I'm still after a wooden worktop but I've heard that they're a nightmare to keep nice!

• gillcar
    Oh that sounds lovely! Lighter grey will be very easy to keep clean especially with a texture or pattern.

I've heard mixed reports about timber work tops. I believe they need to be oiled several times a year and may not be the most practical choice for wet areas in the kitchen. That said, I love surfaces with a bit of character and a bit of wear and tear wouldn't bother me! My friend fitted a good quality 'wooden' laminate worktop in her utility room and she's delighted with it.

I've chosen Quartz work tops and with open wooden shelves & have my eye on wooden bar stools to soften the overall look.

Your kitchen looks fab - I love the windows! Would live to see a pic of the finished room
  • peckadoodle

We've looked at quartz and granite and just debating them. I used to have wooden worktops in an older house. They were really hard wearing but had a few stains on them and around the sink was awful. I want a bit of character but don't want warped wood!

I'll definitely put a photo on when it's all done. The triangular windows were actually an after thought as it was too expensive to get a beam to brick above and we didn't want any areas rendering. It'd all been rendered before. The builder suggested the windows and made the frames to size. We're really pleased with it. I can't wait for it all to be done as our kitchen is tiny!

We've toyed with the idea of open shelving too but not sure whether I'll forever dusting everything on it!

• gillcar
    I may well regret my decision for open shelving but only time will tell! I'm hoping that the bottom shelf is the only one I will be able to see dust on....! True benefits of being only 5'2" !!!
  • ianthy

Personally, I would like a light coloured Oak flooring in that room. I think the slate may look a bit too heavy.

• peckadoodle

We decided to go for a grey/green riven slate in the end and just wanted to show you the finished flooring! We are really pleased with it although it may not be everyone's choosing! Just the kitchen to put in now and skirting!

• peckadoodle

• peckadoodle

• gillcar
    Oh lovely!!! Your tiles are fab
    peckadoodle thanked gillcar
  • Liz Walsh
    It looks lovely!
    peckadoodle thanked Liz Walsh