tom_howlett

Colour Choice Dilemma - Odd Shaped (Top Floor Flat Living Room)

Tom Howlett
7 years ago

Hi All,

I am struggling for ideas painting a top floor flat living room. It has an unusual wall to ceiling transition with curves (on two walls), rather than a distinct line you would usually find (pictures attached). Then the two other walls are vertical with coving at the top.

The current colour is an ivory shade, and they have painted the walls and the ceiling in this colour. With one wall being a red shade.

I could either do the same or create a line myself and use different colours for the ceiling and walls.

Now onto the actual colours. I'm a big fan of grey shades, not keen on any with a slight brown or green tint. Though do I go for a lighter or darker shade? Do I paint ceiling white and walls grey, paint one set of walls a darker grey and the rest lighter? Really struggling for a solid idea here. I have also attached a photo of some tester pots I used, but not a big fan of either (or just find it hard to visualise).

Here are some considerations so far:

Farrow and Ball Cornforth White
F&B Lamp Room Gray (Could be too dark)
F&B Pavillion Gray
Dulux Tranquil Retreat
Dulux Timeless Classic Engraved Locket

The room gets in a decent amount of light, but the windows are as you see below. The ceiling height is also greater than normal. Unfortunately I don't have a good picture to show the ceiling transition, though you can sort of see this in the second picture where it meets the coving. That curve just runs along. Then you have those struts that run up near the end of the room.

I really appreciate any help and suggestions :)

P.S. Ignore the furniture, I'm not trying to match the decor with these, I will probably adapt or replace the furniture to fit the new grey theme.

The lighting in the paint sample isn't too good either.

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.