ruth_jackson89

HOUSEH2T; the kitchen diner- WOOD PALACE

Ruth jackson
7 years ago

hi guys! just had offer accepted on a house that needs a lot done to it and I am going to post a few rooms to ask for help! I am new to all this and open to all suggestions. we are going to be tight on budget so affordable solutions are needed :)

So next up is the kitchen/diner which is one of the reason i loved this place. I cant afford much but what do you reckon, salvageable? I was thinking taking all the wood down from the kitchen side of things and just going classic subway tiling and trying to paint all the cabinets white and change fixtures? and then through to dining maybe leave all the wood on the window sides and just paint it white and the ceiling wood white? then remove all the wood from the side closet to kitchen, but do what there? more subway tiling? or is that weird? was also hoping to maybe ikea hack a breakfast nook on the left hand side instead of going for a table in the middle? thoughts?

Comments (36)

• Soraya
    7 years ago
    I would remove any wood on the ceiling and the walls. Agree with the previous comment that it might end up costing you more as you will need to have the walls skimmed. But I think it is worth it in the long term as it's quite a messy job and best to get it done before you start redecorating the rest of the house. The kitchen units are really nice. Just paint them. I'm a big fan of metro tiles so should work well. Good luck with the project!
  • AMB
    7 years ago
    Oh my you are brave taking on a wood palace!

Surely you either like the Swedish sauna look or you have actually bought the house for its potential? Therefore, go the whole way and rip it all out. I was in the same position as you with my kitchen and it was absolutely worth the extra time and money ripping out the wood cladding, it looked so much better and we gained more ceiling height.

Often wood cladding was put up to cover cracks and other issues that should have actually been dealt with so in the long run I think you are better off pulling it all off and seeing what lies beneath and fixing issues before they become major problems. You never know, you might even find a nice surprise!
    Ruth jackson thanked AMB
  • AMB
    7 years ago
    Here's a little before and after...

I did consider painting it but the time and energy and cost of sanding it down and applying layers of paint is not worth it. Plus in some areas of the kitchen there might be oil splashes that will cone through the paint.
  • AMB
    7 years ago
    In the dining area you could get away with painting the panelling and maybe changing the floor. A breakfast nook sounds great!
  • Ruth jackson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ok @ambirchall1985 I am nto sure how to tag you so i hope you see this!! Saw your comments this morning and it was just what I needed to hear. you are SO right, I should just push on and take it down, that was the point of moving and my god your photos are so inspiring it looks so good and you are right it will give me more height and space feeling. hopefully something can be done with the spare wood too? I did think maybe just painting the dining area wood up to the window sill an outdoor white might work, if we took the wood away there too what would you do? just paint up the window sill? or if you kept the wood in that part would you still take down the wood ceiling in there? sorry so many questions but your thoughts were just what i needed today! the bit I am a bit stuck on is the wall between dining and kitchen, If i keep wood all around window would it be disjointed to pull all down from this side? i feel like I would want to but would be unsure what to do with it, is tiling up under neath the ledge a silly Idea?

• Ocean Clarke
    7 years ago

Hi Ruth,

Although you can't tag users, anyone who has already commented on this discussion will get a notification when you comment - just to let you know.

Also, I'm so intrigued to see how your home develops. It sounds like a really exciting project you've got on your hands!

I love the sound of the breakfast nook, too. Maybe something similar like the below? Often, simply having a bench by the wall and a dining table positioned next to it can create an amazing little alcove seating area. You can probably tell I'm a fan?

Kitchen · More Info

Chipstead Street, Parsons Green · More Info

• Ruth jackson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love that first one, totally what i would be wanting in all the white to keep it fresh! that flooring too is gorgeous! so I fear a nook will be costly to have actually made up so i wondered about attempting an ikea hack one like this maybe?

reckon it would work in the corner? would you have light fittings made in the space so you could do a pendant light down above the table just wondering if room will look off with only a light over that side?

• tweakyb
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, I recommend a paint job. The panelling will look grand in soft shades, then if needed paint the kitchen cupboards and next maybe cover the with Lino the laminate flooring. However each area will maybe look OK as one less area of organgy wood is covered. This will all cost a few hundred pounds and some time. Live in the house for a while til u get the full feel of light and space. Then get area redesigned. U may need steel if u make area open planned and redesigning the kitchen etc - u don't want to spend a few thousand now half doing it and then regret that u didn't wait and do it properly. Don't forget to make a note of things u hate and def want to change- it's amazing how u stop seeing them when ur there a while!!

• titiankim
    7 years ago
    We moved into a house with horrid pine paneling in the dining room, which just sucked all the light out of the room. We were on a tight budget and had plans to extend later. I just painted it - a light sanding, primer, undercoat and then the same emulsion as the non-panelled walls. I'm so glad I didn't remove initially because we ended up knocking through, swapping the kitchen and dining room and opening up the fireplace in the panelled wall to fit a range cooker. It's often good to just paint what you can't live with initially, then live in a house a while before deciding on more expensive projects as your ideas could easily change
  • AMB
    7 years ago
    Ruth, all those pictures are making me feel ill! I would rip everything in the kitchen out. The cladding is probably nailed or glued on so it would splinter when you remove it. Ours was not salvageable at all, we recycled it. Keeping the panelling for breakfast nook would be good. It could look great in a bold colour and could act as a back to your nook. If you remove the cladding what you do next depends on what you find beneath. The plaster could be in good nick, and would just need a sand and some paint and/or bright wallpaper. If not, you might need to get a plasterer in.

You may want to wait until you want to renovate properly, but personally I think painting all of it is a false economy, and you are going to have to take it all off anyway.

If you are ready to renovate I would knock down the wall between the kitchen and breakfast room to open up the space.
  • Ruth jackson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

such a good point about the light titiankim, never even thought of that. I think because we just know we will not be able to afford any big changes in there for a few years when we will hopefully fully replace/ move around If i can get it done for an ok price, pulling down even just the kitchen wood and tiling and painting will make a lovely liveable difference for those years while we save. Definitely need people to remind me to not rush and just get there and live for a bit for making a lot of the changes as so true that i need to see how the space works day to day to decide on a lot :) thank you.

• Ruth jackson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ambirchall1985 isnt it just so strong to look at :) i wish we were ready to fully renovate but defo not got the cash. in the future though. I think our timescales mean we have to live with space as is for the next 5 years minimum so ripping it mostly all out and budget changes to make it a nice space for that time so you are right painting it all will probably not work x

• Ruth jackson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

tweaky B such good ideas there!I think we will pay for act least the kitchen panels to come down and the roof ones in the dining spot and see how it looks. Saved enough cash back in first instance to pay for that side of things. The dining space can depend on how kitchen ends up looking. So keen to get the cabinets painted, think that iwll make a big difference!

• AMB
    7 years ago
    Good luck Ruth! One last piece of advice - keep the original 1930s door! You don't see many of them these days.
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi Ruth. You seem to have made up your mind but I don't know how difficult it will be to get those panels off without ripping out the kitchen (although I don't have DIY knowledge!). The worktop to the left of the sink also seems to be cut around the wall?

As Jonathan said I'd paint the panelling in a soft off white. For the cabinets I'd choose a colour based on your appliance colour to minimise contrast as the first thing that catches my eye is the appliances. I would remove the glazed wall units and replace with 1/2 shelves. I'd replace the floor with a patterned vinyl such as an encaustic tile pattern. I'd change the back door and soften the windows with Roman blinds. A fab architectural/ textured light would be great. The dandelion light from ikea is a good budget option. I might also add a radiator cover and paint in the wall colour. If you add some good accessories the walls will just fade into the background.

• Ruth jackson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ambirchall i do adore all the doors ( and there are pocket doors to be discussed too) I am not sure what to do with them colour wise though, I think they have been stained darker. Paint/ strip back/leave. would love ot hear thoughts!

• Ruth jackson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Minnie101 you are so handy, I do defo still need to hear ideas on painting as you are right, maybe it will turn out ripping out is too much for now. your detail is so hopeful, as it that picture- so good to see it all paled down! i am now googling all your thoughts as this is all so new to me- roman blinds is a wonderful idea, i didnt even think of the blinds!!! cabinet colour what do you think, do you think a white on the cabinets will just be too stark? by 1/2 shelves do you mean like open shelves? i was thinking those particular cabinets needed to go away! do you reckon subway tiling maybe with a more grey grout would be ok with a nice floor design? x

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 years ago

Hello Ruth,

I rather like the wooden panelling so I'd keep the wood and you can as has been mentioned paint it and the way I would deal with this is perhaps to consider two tone but not a complete paint job at all.. Painted lower, wooden upper or visa versa.. but what I think you could do to instantly transform the look and feel of the kitchen is to have some new doors put on and go from there.. Another idea that doesn't involve painting over the wood at all which I wouldn't do if it were me..

Perhaps consider a darker wood to compliment.. You could make it a theme and team with other elements of a natural variety, concrete worktop for one example.. but I would start by looking at the cabinet doors and change those..

I also really like the blinds.. I'd leave those too as they are rather clever in the way they compliment the wooden panelling.. Here are some wooden kitchens that I think are fabulous! They're vibrant and textural too.. I think your home could be amazing but at the moment it's all one variety and by injecting more wood and other elements you can really create something spectacular! : ))

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Well I'd definitely get a few quotes for both ripping it out and painting as I wouldn't underestimate the amount of paint needed nor the time taken to do it unless you're doing it yourself! I think a warm white will really soften the room rather than a pure white, just go a shade or so darker than the walls (if the panels stay). Little Greene and farrow and ball do a good range but get them colour matched to avoid expense. Yes I'd go for open shelves as the cabinets look a bit odd in the recess? I wouldn't tile if the wood stays but if you plaster then metro tiles would work. Will be great to see what you end up doing!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 years ago

Hello Ruth,

Another idea if you don't like the really rich impact of my above images, which are my preference, however you could have a "washed" aesthetic.. Making a white wash with water based paint to create a lighter look.. The key is to work with the textural elements that the wood offers.. which I think it fabulous..

It would be gr8 to see what the other rooms look like as you might create a theme with what you choose.. : ))

Not keen on the little table or the seating in this picture, but the main focus is the finish..

• PRO
    Sandra Lawson Interiors
    7 years ago

If you choose to paint the wood in the kitchen area ceiling you will have to use Fire Retardent paint - available at Decorators Merchants. It costs quite a it more than normal paint but the law requires it for ceilings. Recommend you plaster board over ceiling and wall areas and then paint as normal. You can paint the kitchen units for a new look and change the handles- light cream or grey paint shades will completely change the look and light quality of your kitchen. Suggest you also paint window surrounds, skirting so etc to totally eliminate the "sauna" look. Good luck!

Ruth jackson thanked Sandra Lawson Interiors
  • alyper
    7 years ago

Before deciding on anything, live in the space and see how the layout could be improved, how the light comes in during the day etc. Taking off the panelling could reveal a whole can of worms, and damage to walls may mean a complete replaster needed. If layout suits, replace cabinet doors with a plain smooth finish and make appliances built in. Paint panelling fresh and light colour, and get advice from a pro as to which paint (Brewers are wonderful source) - it needn't be any more difficult than just repainting/preparing any surface.

Ruth jackson thanked alyper
  • louisecampbell09
    7 years ago
    if this is going to be your home for quite a while then save up and do a proper job, but I love the dining area ceiling, painted it will be stunning. also keep the 1930s '1 over 3' panel door it's beautiful and much sort after. good luck anyway ☺
    Ruth jackson thanked louisecampbell09
  • ipyke
    7 years ago
    I love the contemporary "woody" looks, plenty of examples posted here already, consider reusing your wood but horizontally. The finish would need to be changed. Some of it would need to go to make it more visually interesting but you've got that covered already. Good luck! Look forward to the finished pictures.
    Ruth jackson thanked ipyke
  • elfirose
    7 years ago

Hello Ruth,

You want to modernize and make this area you own, on a budget, right? And I'm assuming there was a reason you bought this place, which might just actually be that you like wood. Ok let's say you do. I do.

I think you have too many wood colours and the area is too dark. Let's leave those lovely walls and break up the wood colour by making those cabinets a near white colour (which coordinates with your counter top, appliances, heater and blinds). I think you'll still find the kitchen door to be fine as is. Get rugs for the floors to give softness. As far as colour goes, a dark colour (especially forest green) will date the look, but using lighter or brighter colours will make it more contemporary. If it were my kitchen and dining area I'd employ whites and off whites in natural textures and plants in a simple Scandinavian style to enhance the wood.

so clean, modern, easy and quick... It's only the cabinets and decor. Put some elbow grease into the cabinet work and choose Dulux paint so you can wipe up easily. What would it cost? Paint. Plants and pots. Table runner. Few linens. $600 if I were being extravagant. (Dulux paint is worth the money for the product and they have sales.)

Please, don't paint the wood on the walls. It's real. And it's fabulous! That's the value and the beauty in your home. It's awesome to be original :)

good luck

Ruth jackson thanked elfirose
  • ruthfrench
    7 years ago
    Hi Ruth, my advice would be to wait. However if you can't stand the wood paint it for now. I don't know where this house is but living in Northern Scotland I looked at you eating area and had a thought. How much insulation is there? Your eating area has the potential to be absolutely freezing in the winter. Think about this. Perhaps live in it for 12 months before doing anything major. Insulation is worth every penny. You will enjoy the space much more if the temperature is tight.
    Ruth jackson thanked ruthfrench
  • Ruth jackson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ruth French- oh my word you are handy, and very right, we are glasgow and I hadnt thought of how cold it might be in there...and wood is insulation that right? I think I am sold on having to keep wood at least in there for the first while! such a good point thank you.

a simple scandi style is exactly what i would want for sure Elfirose, so I will defo be playing around with the ideas first, maybe just getting the cabinets painted etc in first instance will make enough of a difference to work out where to go from there :) I love your passion for the wood!

AJ thank you, I really hadnt imagined full wood design style kitchens that is something to properly look at!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 years ago

Hello Ruth,

Most welcome, It's really working with what you have and so from an economic and environmental aspect, you're creating a bespoke and unique kitchen with a low footprint.. Look forward to seeing what you decide.. : ))

• PRO
    Feature Radiators
    7 years ago

From personal experience, I would definitely live with it for a bit. We were restricted financially about doing work on our kitchen immediately when we moved in, but we are glad now as we ended up with a different layout having lived in it for a bit. I think I could have regretted our initial layout idea if we had been able to go ahead straight away. I love it now; it looks great but is so practical and easy to keep clean!

• Ruth jackson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thank so much feature! we will defo be living for a little while at this point i think! will keep the process updated!

• Ruth jackson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

HI EVERYONE! so it finally happened 6 days ago we moved in!! such a rollercoaster already but electrics get hauled out and sorted this weekend, so we will have something done! got to beg some thoughts- turns out you were all mostly right painting all this wood really is the best option right now! my question for everyone is what shade for the kitchen cabinets? the greyish pink of the countertops is really throwing me. Going to just off white all the wood, do we keep the same on the cupboards? I love the idea of kitchens with a dark bottom cabs and lighter tops but these counters I just dont think that will work here? all thoughts super welcome!

• Monica
    7 years ago

How exciting CONGRATULATIONS on your new home. I think you could still paint the bottom cabs a darker colour if that is your preference, a dark grey would pick up the flecks in the worktop. Can't wait to see who this is going to pan out.

Have a look at this kitchen here, I know this one has darker worktops but it will hopefully help you visualise some of the things you already have painted. Good luck

https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/kitchen-eclectic-kitchen-dc-metro-phvw-vp~88376

• Melissa S
    7 years ago

Hi Ruth, from a fellow Glaswegian! It's funny that my partner and I bought a flat at the end of last year which has bathroom and kitchen decked out in the wooden cladding too! We're just having it taken out in the bathroom and would caution against ripping out if you're not sure about the budget - it really does hide a multitude of sins and is proving very expensive for us. Looks like it will be lovely when finished though. Good luck!

• ruthfrench
    7 years ago
    Hi Ruth, it is lovely to hear your excitement. Be careful. Painting all of that pine is a huge undertaking. Make sure you use a appropriate primer. Killing the bright orange might be enough to allow you to see what colours you might want. Spending hours, days and weeks painting wood you find you need to rip out would be a shame. Be patient. Prioritise. Finish one room at a time. This last is from hard experience. If a room is not finished at the time, it may never be. Make sure you have fun time together. Doing up a house to make it a home is wonderful but exhausting.
  • Ruth jackson
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Monica! I am going to pop up a new post with close up pics of the colour of the awful laminate ( sucha mid tone sluggish shade!) that is such a handy picture thank you!!

Melissa- hello!! lovely to see a fellow weege. definitely helps to hear that taking it out would have been the big undertaking we fearwed ( and cant afford!) sorry for you though, bet it is starting to look amazing!! are there pics?

Ruth thank you I do so appreciate that and you are right once primed we might have better idea, didnt think of that. and will be keeping the idea a room needs finished in mine. and the fun part I am determined to try and maintain.... adventure starts here....!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.