jsmithwoodwork

Can you compare a bespoke kitchen to one that's off the shelf?

J Smith Woodwork
7 years ago

I've been debating about posting this for quite some time now, but feel that it is an important topic to share as it's one of those crucial questions we all ponder at some point:

"Why should I spend money on something that I can find for a lot cheaper elsewhere - a kitchen for example?"

I was recently asked this very question by a potential client who put our kitchen quote in front of me together with an “off the shelf” manufactured kitchen quote, side by side, to compare. Unsurprisingly the manufactured kitchen came out cheaper, however I noticed they had not included worktops or installation (it’s always worth checking this in any quote you get from one of the mass kitchen manufacturers). I must admit it’s always interesting when your work is compared to another’s, but even more so when it’s a company with standards that are a lot different to that of a handmade bespoke business. It’s a bit like comparing a Primark fashion item with an outfit you have commissioned from a bespoke dressmaker – both garments fulfil the same purpose in giving you something to wear, but one is likely to be better quality, a better fit and, most importantly, give you an individual look and style that you won’t see replicated at every event you attend. Everyone knows that you can buy a kitchen online or in store for a fairly cheap price. 'Cheap' being used loosely as it is still your hard earned cash and we're still talking over £3000 here. There is nothing wrong with buying this type of kitchen if it suits your lifestyle, your personal taste or your bank balance. However it is un-fair to directly compare handmade work to that of a mass manufactured piece. Also handmade and bespoke needn’t mean paying 'extortionate' prices. If you shop around for the right “maker”, checking their credentials, looking out for testimonials from satisfied customers and perhaps arranging to visit someone who has already experienced that business’s service, in much the same way as you would if you wanted that special dress or outfit, then you will be surprised at how reasonable the price can be for something that is truly tailored to you, unique and handmade – a quality purchase. Plus if you happen to choose J Smith Woodwork, makers of handmade kitchens in Somerset and Dorset, you can be reassured that it’s us pushing your chosen material through our machines, our hands that sand corners, dip brushes in to paint and use time honoured traditional techniques used for many years to create something you've always wanted. Isn’t that worth that little bit extra? www.jsmithwoodwork.co.uk

Bespoke Handmade Kitchen
Off the shelf Kitchen

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.