raiyan_bari

Should I be paying this much for a kitchen?

Raiyan Bari
7 years ago

So we are looking at renovating our kitchen and have been to a number of places to gauge costs. Our kitchen is fairly large (4-5m worktop run with wall units and an integrated fridge on one wall and 2-3m tall unit run on the other wall holding the built in ovens with a 2.4m island in between).

John Lewis quoted us 25k and Magnet 25k. We wanted a German kitchen look so went to a Schuller dealer who quoted us 25k too. The breakdown for the German was cabinetry 11k, worktop 3.1k, appliances (Siemens), 3.6k, fitting 2.5k (and then 20% VAT on top).

I never planned on spending this much on a kitchen and because John Lewis and Magnet gave similar quotes to the German one I did think this might be the right price to pay for a kitchen this size. But I also am wondering whether I could save A LOT of money by buying the cheapest kitchen units from Wickes/Howdens/small local joiners or online manufacturers (like handmadekitchens) and then changing the doors to get the Schuller look that I wanted. Is this a) feasible (i.e. can I buy Schuller doors separately and do they fit to any carcass) and b) cost effective (will I save much money).

I would not change the Siemens units or the worktop choice but I might be able to save a few thousand on the cabinets and bring this kitchen down under 20k? Or would you say that for the sake of up to 5k its not worth losing the guaranteed look I would get if I did stick with the German dealer.

Thanks for all your advice!

Comments (19)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.