chabbaa

Creative garden re-design help!

chabbaa
7 years ago
Looking for some super creative, budget savvy advice!

Our garden is in need of a full facelift... Everything and everything needs doing. However stuck for creative on what is and isn't possible, we decided to invite some landscapers over to discuss ideas and budgets... Long story short, when we asked about the price on a garden they had recently finished, they said it cost £22k!

Now, in my head, our budget was more like £2.2k... So I, sure you could I,shine our reaction.

We are now at the stage whereby we want to explore what we can and can't do ourselves, as well as budget efficient ways to do so. I have watched enough property makeover shows to know where they is a will, there is often a cheaper way.

I have attached a photo of what the garden currently looks like... Then I have attached a photo of what we would like - give or take the cabin which is my partners idea. I am quite happy to just level out the back of the garden (which drops off dramatically as seen in pic) with some decking for a nice seating area (like the pics attached).

There are some key things which we need to do that we can't budge on. However cost efficient ways to do so are welcomed.

1. We need to level the grass area and lay new turf
2. Because of the uneven ground on the gardens either side, in order to level the garden, we will need some kind of retained either side running along the fence e.g. Sleepers, built in seating, flower bed etc.
3. The back of the garden needs levelling up - hence the decking option to build it up, for either a seating area or cabin/shed to sit on.
4. I have really bad hayfever and not a keen gardener, so the less flowers that require maintenance, the better. Maybe some along one side of the garden in a raised flower bed/sleeper.

We are hoping to achieve a contemporary/modern design in the garden but are happy to consider recycled, reclaimed and second hand goods... These sort of things usually give space character which is great.

So, that's where we are at...

As it is our first garden, we don't even know where to start. What can we do ourselves? What do we definitely need a pro in to do? How would we level the back with decking - is that definitely a professional job? Can we level and lay new turf ourselves? Where would we get second hand retainers/sleepers to run along the edges?

Any advice, help or alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Or if you know someone who wouldn't cost £22k in south west London we'd love to speak to them too!

Thanks a million!
Chabs :)

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.