hzdeleted_34624364

I think I've given up - Living Room v Man

User
7 years ago
Often, after a big clean up / reorganisation / new furniture buy / DIY project, I sit down and think... "Yes, I really love our home. It's perfect now, there's nothing else to do."

And then my other half waltzes in the room, leaving a blazing trail of mess and destruction behind him.

I think I have or am very close to giving up on improving our home. Seeing as I'm new here, I'll give you a brief description of our living quarters:

We moved here in late June of this year, leaving behind what was a terrible one bed flat and downsizing to a large, ground floor, studio flat with a garden. Sounds crazy to downsize but it was worth it... not only do we now have a large garden full of design possibilities, we have what is or could be a beautiful home.

The bathroom and kitchen are not the best but that's easily "tarted up" so to speak. The most important area especially as it's a studio flat is of course the living room and bedroom. Our bedroom is perfect - after a huge fight along the lines of "no, we are not having it open plan and no, we are not putting every item of furniture slap bang up against the walls" I'm glad to say I finally won and even he loves the room! My bedroom set is a vintage wardrobe and two very light lavender tall chest of drawers (with crystal handles, I love this set!) which I have used to separate the bedroom from the living room by placing them directly at the foot of our white metal industrial / vintage style bed. It looks wonderful.

Now... here is the problem. Our living room. I hate it. The whole house is painted white to keep it bright and airy, we have dark wood floors and lovely tall double windows/doors to the garden which let in tons of light. Instead of curtains I have used self adhesive vinyl in a frosted glass effect with a kinda white floral pattern to allow as much light in as possible. Curtains / blinds were making the space feel too cluttered.

Our furniture is ok... but... Unless I get rid of my boyfriend or win the lottery to purchase brand new furniture, there's not much I can do to stop this room going bad.

For example, I bought a white Ikea Klippan sofa only 1 month ago. I got this for the sole purpose of upholstering and changing the legs, plus it was the only sofa that would fit through our door! Within one month, the white sofa is filthy. So I've removed the cover and upholstered it in a vintage light blue flora fabric. Only one week later it is completely ruined by my other half and his cousin who are typical manly men who like to lay and roll all over the sofa.

Regardless of me buying really lovely coasters from Sass & Belle, there is a lovely assortment of water / hot cup marks on our 1960s coffee table.

He then convinced me to sell my original 1940s armchair and I'm now stuck with these two large, round, bamboo cane wicker contraption, armchairs which look ok but I hate them.

So... my options are to throw out my other half, rob a bank to buy a whole new living room, or to live in a miserable flat of black, chrome and leather to prevent damage and for easy cleaning.

Any advice as to what to do with this he'll hole will be much appreciated. I'm considering dying our white sofa a charcoal grey and completely redesigning the awful wicker armchairs by upholstering and essentially turning them into proper fabric armchairs.

We've got too much furniture and it's all mismatched now, all different woods - should I paint or stain them all the same colour? Or should I pick a few different colours from the same range and paint each item a different colour / shade? Should I stick to pastels and duck eggs or go bright and bold?

My main problem is this bloody sofa and horrific armchairs, if I can get these right, the rest will easily fall in to place.

But until them I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I've attached a photo of the much hated armchairs.

Comments (27)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.