ginatilly

What kind of rug?

Gina Tilly
16 August, 2016
Hi,

Having trouble deciding what kind of rug we should get to try to pull the room together? At the moment we have light grey walls, pink/coral armchair, light green sofa and grey sofa. Add to the mix a fireplace with blue tiles with bits of green and pink! Ignore all cushions and other bits (tables etc) as will be getting new. Although perhaps cushions alongside rug could help with the 'pulling together'?

Any ideas appreciated!

• Sophie Windatt

I think the room ties really nicely together already with the soft pastel shades and grey but I agree, a rug will help. I'd probably choose a large, grey rug a couple of shades darker than the walls and accessorise with a mix of pale pink, green and grey cushions.

You've also got the gorgeous feature fireplace and artwork so can you pull any colours out of that to influence the design of the room?

• duffyp2
    If you want to stick to neutral tones, I think a reindeer hide would add great texture. A good geometric blue / natural patterned flat weave rug would also help to tie the different coloured furniture together.
    Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

I'd go for something in pinks to match the lovely little armchair you have. If you couple this with some cushions to co-ordinate in different textures, shapes and sizes it'll help tie the sofas in. The sofas are a warm grey and the walls a cool grey, so they need a little help blending with the theme. Something like this from Modern Rugs

• alisonmb7
    Had you thought of having a carpet whipped into a rug? You'll have a lot more colours and textures to pick from, and you might not want a rug with a pattern to detract from the fire place and future cushions.
    The Home Design School
    A beautiful room! I think a rug would tie everything in beautifully. I think you could add some pattern to break up the blocks of colour.

Here are a few suggestions:

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/Safavieh-Holmes-Pink-Multi-Flatweave-Rug-STP150A-6-SAFA6980.html

http://applerugs.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3109

http://m.houseoffraser.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-hof-Site/default/Product-Show?_$ja=tsid:44970|cid:203432995|agid:10044618835|tid:pla-106230055075|crid:54855934675|nw:g|rnd:9791110660461827372|dvc:m|adp:1o1|mt:&pid=240720244

Best of luck!

Kate
    www.TheHomeDesignSchool.com
    Essence of Morocco Ltd.

What a lovely room! I think rugs with contrasting patterns and brighter colours will nicely complement your beautiful room. Here are some few suggestions:

http://www.esofmo.com/moroccan-vintage-boucherouite-rug-g.html

http://www.esofmo.com/moroccan-vintage-boucherouite-rug-i.html

CHOICE HOMES

Great space for a rug!

Create a stylish statement by adding a touch of vibrant colour, textures and weaves to your rug, which will warm up some of those beautifully earthy tones you already have. We provide a service to 'design your own' with hundreds of patterns, textures and designs to choose from, with complimenting borders, from suede to leather and much, much more.

Here are some ideas of the rugs we do, which would compliment your space!

Rugs · More Info

Rugs · More Info
    Hope this Helps!

Emma

CHOICE HOMES - BRENTWOOD, ESSEX

• angelavdavis
    I would pick colours either from the fireplace or a favourite piece of art in the room and then hunt a rug featuring these colours. Choose one or more colours also for cushions on sofas. Lovely room doesn't need lots of work as its already beautiful.
  • sargeuk

Agree with Sophie a Silver Grey high pile will certainly tie the theme. Powder pink & silver greys go together well

• Ali Carter

Have you looked at Helen Yardley rugs,they are beautiful and make a real statement in a room.

• Paddy Archer
    Love your room.
  • LindyLoo

I am a big fan of persian rugs, something a bit ethnic to throw some delicate pattern and colour into the room. Would tie in with the pink chair and period detail of the fireplace.

• dunraven00

large flokati would give it some texture.

My Bespoke Room

We actually think something quite plain yet beautiful (perhaps with subtle pattern) would look lovely. The pink chair against the walls is gorgeous as is the fireplace so don't compete with them. Something like this will just enhance the space, bring it together, add warmth without being over bearing. http://fave.co/2bzj4Qm

Christinas Interiors

Islington · More Info

Check my Islington Project where a simple yet stylish flat weave was used, giving just a bit of colour to the space. Something quiet but not boring, tying the room together.

• forzaitalia

A few years ago we couldn't find a rug that wasn't patterned or the right size, so we visited a local family run carpet shop who made any carpet you like into a rug by edging it. Crucial Trading do this too but pricey. I think a darker gray than the walls would look fab, and then add more colour with cushions and throws. Good luck with finishing your beautiful room.

• Paddy Archer
    What colour/ make is the wall paint?
  • Gina Tilly
    Hi Paddycrossling, the walls are Farrow and Ball, Ammonite. We've done the ceiling in the same colour
  • Angie
    Hi, not sure about rug, but I really like the sofa you have in the window. Where did it come from? It's just the sort of thing we are looking for.
    Thanks, Angie
  • Gina Tilly
    Hi Angie, thank you! It's from sofa.com where you can pick sofa style and fabric. Can do it online or they have a warehouse/shop in Chelsea and think they may have opened another in Islington. I would say it's best to go in so you can see all the styles, test for comfort and see all of the fabric swatches.
    Christinas Interiors

Hi Angie, sofa is called Samsas by Carl Malmsten a midcentury Swedish classic retailed through Skandium.com, super comfortable and made to perfection. Please contact me on christina@christinasinteriors.com