0
Your shopping basket is empty.

which curtains / fabric for this wallpaper?

twamleyk
31 August, 2016

Dear All,

I am putting the below wallpaper on one of the walls of our spare bedroom (I am not into feature walls, but couldn't convince my husband to wallpaper the whole room, so it is a compromise). The rest of the room is pained Dulux Timeless (basically off white), has a white wrought iron bed with a pale patchwork quilt, an old white wardrobe (Annie Sloan paint) and a very old dark wood desk. The floors are dark wood, but I am hoping to paint them white, and the room is north facing. Overall it's feminine cottage style.

The window is situated near a corner, so I will be putting roman blinds - otherwise the rightside of the curtains would be tucked behind the desk.

Any suggestions for a fabric that would go with the wallpaper? Should it be more flowers? Plain? Stripe?! I haven't a clue.

Thanks in advance!

Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

I'd go for a really lovely thick plus but plain off white chenille. My wife did a Lloyd loom chest for our daughter a couple of months ago with pewter grey on the bottom, it was lovely material and it would not detract from the wallpaper or crowd the room. It came from Dunelm. ( Lining to match )

twamleyk thanked Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman
  • irenecb

Hi, very nice wallpaper. I would keep with your scheme of feminine cottage it sounds perfect and calm for a bedroom. I would go to ikea for curtains and get some nice plain off white ones. They make great curtains in very good quality fabrics. I also recently came across a new online shop called jysk they are also great for cottage style curtains in unpatterned fabric.

twamleyk thanked irenecb
  • twamleyk

Thanks both! The title is misleading - I will be putting roman blinds. Is the advice still the same? And am I to understand you are suggesting plain material, white or grey? Would that work for roman blinds as well?

Also, please note the wallpaper looks a lot whiter in real life than this, which makes it look like it has a pink tinged background (on my screen anyway).

• Jen P

What about shutters instead? Or even some shabby chic wooden blinds? If it has to be roman blinds then i think off white or grey would both work really well. Or you could pick out a colour from the wallpaper like the green then add a few pink accessories in the room to inject a bit more colour.

twamleyk thanked Jen P
  • egghead123

I think a subtle pale blue stripe or pale green could look beautiful with that paper- stripes and florals can look really pretty once the scale of the pattern is right.

twamleyk thanked egghead123
  • drywsdad
    Have you tried a reverse image Google search to find fabric in the same pattern? And buy a blackout blind in a colour of your choice?
    twamleyk thanked drywsdad
  • twamleyk
    Hi Jen P, I love shutters but the window is so near the corner of the room that there is no room for shutters to open on one side.
  • twamleyk
    Dryswdad, there is a fabric of the wallpaper I believe, but I thought it might be a bit too much?
  • twamleyk
    Potential stripes here photoed beside sample of wallpaper. Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
  • minnie101

Stripes work but personally I'd go for green which would work well with the white and wood and then add a little more green for cushions, flowers (foliage)etc. Sometimes with striped blinds I feel they work a little better with the blinds hung slightly lower which therefore blocks light (or is that just me?!)

twamleyk thanked minnie101
    The Home Design School

Hi there, I would pick out a colour from the wallpaper and then use this for the blind. Because the wallpaper is so busy, I would choose a plain fabric and allow the paper to be the 'hero', or the focal point in the room. As the rest of the room sounds very neutral, I would also use the same colour that you choose for your blind in other accessories (like a bed throw and cushions) across the room in at least three places. This will tie everything together beautifully.

Post a few pics when you decide.

Best of luck with your project.

Kate

www.TheHomeDesignSchool.com

twamleyk thanked The Home Design School
    Hamilton interiors

Hi ,I would recommend a plain or a stripe

Cavan build · More Info
    twamleyk thanked Hamilton interiors
    Bloc Blinds

Hi, This is a really pretty wallpaper print!

At BlocBlinds we have a solution to limited
    space around the window. All of our blinds can be fitted inside the recess taking up as little space as possible. Our Bloc Out blinds provide total
    blackout
    and bring an unmatched level of darkness to any room providing a cooling effect in the
    summer and heat insulation in the winter. Our unique award
    winning
    Fabric Changer
    Roller Blinds
    allow you to change your look in
    an instant. Our blinds come in a range of black out, dim out and sheer
    fabrics featuring a large range of patterns and colours. I've
    selected a few from our collection that might suit your wallpaper below...

For further advice or support on how to install don’t hesitate
    to contact our team at info@blocblinds.com we’ll be happy to help.

twamleyk thanked Bloc Blinds
    Bloc Blinds

Mint Green Translucent, Pink Haze Back Out, Spectrum Soft Blue Black Out

• twamleyk
    Thanks everyone, finally put some blinds up! Am pleased with results.
  • twamleyk
    Slightly better photo!