shellagh_milligan

Remodel / extend design advice needed!

Shell M
1 September, 2016
last modified: 1 September, 2016

Hi, I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice or ideas about the potential remodelling or extension of our house? Now we have 2 young kids, the layout just isn't working for us anymore. I would like to have a more open plan kitchen / dining / family space, with a separate sitting room. A small office space is also needed as my husband does some work from home. The garage is currently kitted out as a gym, but I might be able to talk my hubby into losing a bit of gym space for another purpose, maybe office...? This would be last resort though.

I've attached a few pics - one of the current layout, one of a potential remodel of the ground floor without extending, and one design for a potential extension. We've pretty much ruled out the remodel option as it doesn't give us the two living areas that we need. My husband would prefer to extend across the width of the house, is this a good/bad idea? Would it make it too dark at the far end of the living area? (NB. There is no room to extend to the sides of the house, only the back.)

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, or new ideas...! Thanks in advance!

Current layout:

Remodel:

Extension: