shelleyuk

Help - Is this damp or a leak?

shelleyuk
7 years ago

We have lived in this house for 8 years with no issues re damp. There have been no external changes which would affect the dpc and this is actually now predominantly an internal wall (there was an extension 20 years or so ago and so it was formerly the external wall).

This room was painted and new flooring laid plus new skirting about 2 years ago.

Over the past 2 months this has happened. Initially we noticed white fluffy mould on the skirting board and then there were some black mould spores. Then the tide line started to creep up the wall.

It looks like damp but would damp just suddenly appear like this? On the other side of the wall is a downstairs bathroom. Is it more likely to be a leak?

The very top layer of the plaster is sort of bubbly and lifted so that if you press it there is about 1mm of air underneath but once you flake that off, the wall behind it feels very dry. The bottom picture shows where I have flaked it off after it has bubbled.

Any views on whether this is a damp or a leak?

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.