miracarnecka

Rug / Accessories help needed

mira x
7 years ago
Hi All, I'd appreciate some advice..What rug would you think could work in this space? Was thinking a large jute rug ? Or an off white large shaggy rug? I feel like we need to introduce some accent colour..what colour would you suggest? I haven't bought any artwork or accessories yet. I'm ordering voile curtains soon. Planning to get a buttoned back armchair, overmantle mirror with a vase in front, floor lamp. Depending where the sofa will be placed we'll get a console table too..any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (52)

• minnie101
    7 years ago

I did wonder if it would be :) I could just see some old masters on the wall! I also love this rug by them! There are a number of jute rugs with grey tones in so I would look around. I probably didn't post the best pic of layering rugs either :) I think a burnt orange would look great. Perhaps just give the room an oriental touch. There are loads of oriental console tables around. You could consider a bronze horse for the console, maybe a ceramic garden stool next to the sofa and maybe a modern version of a ginger jar and keep everything else classical. If you like that look go onto Oka and have a look through their room inspirations as their rooms always tend to have an oriental touch so it may give you some inspiration

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'll have a search for old masters to see if any catches my eye..must admit they're interesting. I like the rug it's very unique but quite expensive for the size :( I'd just worry about it's 'safety' with my son around :D or my partner :D Minnie, do you think sofa works better this way-against the wall? I can't decide really..but this way the room feels defo bigger (but that's not our priority really)..the room dimensions are in my previous post (layout dilemma) if needed. It'd still fit a console in the alcove, garden stool on the other side. Armchair with a floor lamp at the outside door..trying my best to imagine ufff
  • Related Discussions

Rug and accessories for lounge

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank you! Do you think any of these would be suitable? http://www.westelm.co.uk/honeycomb-textured-wool-rug-horseradish-t804 - possibly too warm and might be a bit much with the warmth of the wood? http://www.westelm.co.uk/distressed-rococo-wool-rug-horseradish-t1764 http://www.westelm.co.uk/prism-wool-rug-soot-t1301 http://www.westelm.co.uk/colca-wool-rug-t1657 http://www.westelm.co.uk/roar-rabbit-graphic-texture-rug-horseradish-t2464 http://www.westelm.co.uk/art-kilim-wool-rug-t2468
    ...See More

Rug / Accessories help needed

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Mira, Wow what dramatic room! I love how you have used the dark and rich colours on your walls - it really makes your living room feel warm and inviting. Placing a rug within your living room will definitely be the finishing touch to your scheme, adding a homely and cosy feel to the room. I’d recommend designs which incorporate a combination of warm and cool neutrals along with a lustrous sheen, as this will create a feeling of movement, texture and light that will liven up any living space. I really love the contemporary graduating colour of this Designer’s Guild Eberson rug, which I think would really work in your living room: http://bit.ly/2cqi7wQ Complete the scheme by introducing accessories with metallic tones and finishes, such as below, which will inject an element of warmth and sophistication to your living area. It will really become an individual space that stands out from the crowd. http://bit.ly/2cHfwwq http://bit.ly/2c41LX1 http://bit.ly/2c5L02n http://bit.ly/2cqhzY2 I hope you have fun adding in the finishing touches and we’d love to see your new room once you’ve completed it, so please send some photos! All the Best, Marianna Dulux Design Expert www.designer.duluxamazingspace.co.uk
    ...See More

Help! What accessories should I add?

Q

Comments (4)
    I would add metallics to the room in some form- see your wall paper source photo eg mirror, lamps, central pendant, - the wall paper needs this to bring out its beauty. Not sure if headboard is new, but large upholstered headboard could look nice (See Misha M picture 1). Also bedside lockers - either dark (Lacquer black?) or light but make sure they are not the same shade as wall paper or carpet. I would also add plain bed covers - I think it will work better with the wall paper.
    ...See More

Living room help I have dark flooring and have this rug need help

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi, Would be good if you posted up a picture of the living room? If you have dark flooring you could always try to go for a lighter colour sofa like white or ivory? Have a look on our website if there are any sofas you like? www.strazzia.com If you need any help or have a questions please let us know. Best regards - Strazzia
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

cheeky grin from your son :) some of the old masters look great. Yes it is rather dear:( I think I prefer the other layout if you go for the chair in front of the console although having the garden view is nice. Order chair and console and have a play around though as you definitely have room. (You could move the sofa up a little if you put the plant elsewhere to give the fire a bit more space). I must admit I like your existing curtains and they go well. you could also paint the rad in the wall colour

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you you've been very helpful as usual. I'll start searching for a console. One of the black lacquered ones to match the tv stand. And the chair..most likely an off white one..? I like the curtains too they're defo staying. We've fitted a double pole so I can hang net/voile curtains behind them. Any other suggestion than a burnt orange by any chance?
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Oh I thought you were changing the curtains, that's good then :) I think a muted ochre would also work. You could always have the chair in that and tie in with a cushion for the sofa?

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Brilliant thanks I'll look around what's available and I'll be back :)
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Btw if you did like old masters I've got this on my living room wall and I think the colours could work well. It's of Paul Le Moyne by Ingres. You may of course hate it and I won't be offended :)

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't hate it ! I think it definitely has a waw factor but not sure if I'd dare :D I wouldn't mind to create a bit of a talking point on the other hand. I do like the set of maps Marianna from Dulux posted on the other post too (I've accidentally posted twice).. http://bit.ly/2c5L02n

• minnie101
    7 years ago

:) I like the maps. Architectural prints might also work? It might be good to have something with gold or brassy tones in? I'm sure there must be some map ones around!

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Animal heads are way too brave :D The Architectural ones are pretty! I like the golden edge what a great idea. It could be fairly easy to make actually..get prints, frames and paint. Easier said than done :D PS started looking at armchairs..is the attached any good? I love trellis pattern armchairs but they don't seem to sell any in the UK :(
  • mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The chair
  • mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Artisanti sell these on Amazon. They look identical to those from graham & greene but cheaper..can't see the golden edge on these though. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Artisanti-Club-Style-Framed-Prints/dp/B00BIH6BHA
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Lol! You should be able to make them easily. Have a look at rub n buff from Amazon for the inside of the frames to add a warm metallic. The chair looks nice, you could just add the colour with cushions. I would see if you could get a fabric sample though as grey and cream sometimes work but sometimes doesn't! I also searched for quatrefoil chairs and 3 came up but they were in blue. You could always add a quatrefoil side table if you like that pattern, the French bedroom company do one

• minnie101
    7 years ago

If you zoom in on Artisanti's website you can see the gold

• PRO
    Fleur Ward Interior Design
    7 years ago

Hi Mira, was just sourcing an oriental rug for a client and thought something like this would work for you. It marries the sofa and wall colours whilst offering an opportunity to pull out a feature colour. You could choose a floor lamp that is a a bit more contemporary and different to balance out the traditional rug and offer some wow in the room. How about these from Delightfull? Available in different finishes - white and copper? And I love this art work.. ;) all your colours, an old masters feel with a contemporary twist - what's not to love! Hope that's helpful. :)

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    Red brick wall.
  • Ocean Clarke
    7 years ago

Such a great room! Have you made any headway on the rug choice yet?

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for your input all! Daisy - not keen on a brick wall I'm afraid :( Minnie / Fleur Ward - my partner has just given me a funny look after I presented the new old masters idea to him..let's give him some time :D at least he likes the maps and architecture pictures.. Minnie, thanks for the suggestion I really like the quatrefoil side table from FBC! I'm sure I've seen similar in Homesense, I'll go and look there over the weekend first. Checked G&G for mirrors but nothing caught my eye really..I think I'll be looking at ornated leaf mirrors in gold/bronze tone or maybe just a simple overmantle. Fleur - the lamp looks interesting..and expensive :) we're not on a most generous budget unfortunately..with console table - I'd really like some oriental style. Many thanks all !
  • mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ocean - no progress with the rug yet..thought I'd get an armchair first to see what the layout will be so I know for the rug measurements.. And for the colour. I'm struggling to find armchairs I like in any other than natural colours though.. Minnie - good point with grey / cream combination thanks. They don't do samples..ill have a look for more armchair inspiration tonight
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

FUnnily enough I looked at the art Fleur posted for my bathroom (it's by Mineheart!) but went for this one instead! It may take a while for an old master or contemporary old master style to sink in! I do like the map idea though. Well hopefully Homesense have a cheaper version of the table! What's your budget for armchair and console if you don't mind me asking and will see if I can find anything. It might be worth checking eBay for mirrors

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That must look fab in a bathroom! Yes I'll check eBay too.. For the armchair I'm thinking around £300 but could be more if I can justify the price :) there are some nice ones on wayfair. Not sure where else to look..armchairs seem to be at a small sofa cost these days. Console table about the same price I'd say..alcove is only 90cm wide which restricts the options slightly. I've seen two very reasonably priced on tikamoon..
  • mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    These two
  • mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This one is from the same range as our tv stand. But it's more of a sideboard
  • mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    With measurements
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

I agree chairs are somewhat dear, the one I want for our bedroom is £1,100 :(

i can't copy links as I keep losing my comment if I do but I've found a few in budget and some not, again some are button back and some not.. Other colours that should work btw are aubergine and a deep red

http://www.atkinandthyme.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Armchair

Have a look at the Faye and Otis button back in linen for link above (linen should go)

DFS Empress

within Home - Chloe aubergine

made.com - Bouji or Orson in Pansy Purple (you may like some of their others)

swoon Editions - Keats or Abberwick in flecked barley, Windsor, Fitz (in fir), Chester ( again they do a number of chairs at a reasonable price)

Primrose and plum - linen buttonback

roae and grey - one off mustard velvet ( this may be too bright but they should be able to provide swatches)

graham and Green - Suzani print bath button back (this is quite bold but for some reason like it!) or the one in grey and linen (latter is dear)

• minnie101
    7 years ago

In terms of the console I like the last option. I've got the Thaki console in our bedroom but the larger one so different style and am not that impressed with it, it now just sits behind our bed with lamps on. It's quite difficult to find ones that will fit, I thought something with some gold in would stand out on the wall so have found this one, a bit over budget though.

https://www.oka.com/handpainted-han-chinese-cabinet.aspx?vid=IWC001BLK-0

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ah how disappointing about your Thaki console. The bigger Thaki one was my favourite. I do like the one from OKA! I'll see if any cheaper alternatives out there but they wouldn't probably be as nice. It's more or less the same price as the last one I've posted. Thank you so much for armchair suggestions! I'll go through them one by one later on :)
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Yes it's also very difficult to dust! If you sign up to the newsletter you get £50 off your first order over £350. Yes it may take a while to go through the chairs:)

https://www.oka.com/customer-service/discounts-promotions/?utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=affiliatewindow

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for all your suggestions..I like them all! Especially the swoon editions Chester in dusty pink (??)..many of these have a distressed pale wooden legs which in my eyes wouldn't really go with dark wood flooring (I'm not experienced in furnishing though!) also I'd worry some may be not comfortable due to their height/low back. Do you have any low back chairs by any chance? I may be mistaken..I've attached my all time favourite sofa which we never bought due to it's height of 88cm only..
  • mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    While looking around I've come across this one which made my heart miss a beat a little..slightly lower back again though.. I guess most of buttoned back chairs are not generous in height
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

I hadn't seen it in the pink, it's a nice subtle pink which I think should work with the walls. I think as its just chair legs rather than a piece of furniture it will work with the floor (back legs are darker too), plus it will be on a lighter rug? I've got a Chloe chair from within home. I don't normally sit on it but have just tried :) It's 15cm lower than the Chester but supports the back, the seat also isn't as wide but I can sit cross legged on it although not sure it will be a tuck your feet up chair! I love that made.com sofa in the green with the bolster cushions :) It might be an idea to see if you can find a similar style one in a shop to try it out although I think Swoon do free returns. I've got another chair from them and was really impressed with their customer service. The grey one has an oriental feel with the legs but would get a fabric swatch to see how it looks with your sofa. Do they do it in other colours as that may work better as an accent chair?

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Minnie :) I've got fabric samples of the made.com sofa which I'll post later. Just checked and their returns cost £35 which isn't that bad. All sofas you've suggested are so pretty..hard to decide. But I can imagine my partner's choice wouldn't be the pinky one :D I bet he'd want the made.com one as we were contemplating to buy it before. They do the accent chair in an off white but I need to concentrate on the 'main' chair first. PS I can tuck my feet up on any chair..including a dining one in fact :D
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

I'm confused now, you're not Changing your sofa are you?! Or are you getting 2 chairs? Not to say that made sofa can't work at all but I think an oriental style sits really well with classical style furniture ie 18/19th century country houses look where the oriental influence was really strong. It's probably safe to say your partner won't favour the pink chair :) Lol!

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hahah sorry :D not changing the sofa. Only getting an armchair now. Great comment I'll use it when presenting the ideas to the other half :)
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Btw I was thinking of the chinoiserie cabinet when I made last that statement! The sofa would work with the cabinet that matches the tv unit, art etc

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Aha. So made.com armchair would go with the tv stand range cabinet. And OKA cabinet would go with classical armchairs..it's getting confusing..:D I've taken a few pictures of made.com sofa fabrics but the velvet changes it's shade at different angles. It looks slightly different in reality. Don't think any of them works particularly well..
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

im not too keen either with your sofa. I really think you should go for another colour (or neutral). It's hard to tie in greys with different undertones and I just think something else would work better as an accent chair. I've just looked at your sofa again properly now and I also think a more classically shaped chair would work better than the made one with the shape of your sofa. I'm clearly not a pro so may well be wrong but I can't see it working that well (sorry I should have looked at it properly earlier...)

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes you're right..samples look even worse placed against the sofa. Found the very first one I've posted in an off white rather than cream now. Posting the swoon Chester again too :) and a few more..sorry I'm very indecisive :S
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

I think (!) the first one. Have you decided on what's going in the alcove? If you went with the matching unit then what about these cushions? Not quite a burnt orange though. The small chiara on the chair and the ophelia on the sofa with a much cheaper (!) textured cushion behind. If you went for the chinoiserie cabinet I'd go for ochre cushions although struggling to find any

https://www.oka.com/chiara-cushion-cover-small.aspx?nosto=productpage-nosto-1

Although if you went for the pink chair I know a rug that would probably go very nicely!

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh waaw these cushions are beautiful. We'll try to move forward and decide over the weekend. Feel free to send a link for the rug :)
  • mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    An update..I've now ordered the swoon chair in dusty pink yippee :) it will be delivered in November. I've requested a fabric sample so the hunt for a rug can begin :) still looking into consoles, the chinoiserie one from
    OKA is unbeatable so far..thank you for your help! Any more suggestions will be much appreciated..
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

You persuaded your partner then! In some ways I would try and decide on one thing (if it's patterned like cushions, cabinet, rug etc) then it's easier to work with that and make suggestions. For the cushions, again from Oka, you could try the pale sage velvet cushion for the sofa with the pink & green calla one in front so you're picking up the pink and the wall colour. Another art suggestion is their Chinese piper prints with gold frames and the art is predominantly blue. I might swap to white hydrangea now to stick with the colour palette, I haven't seen them in the flesh but m and s have 3 for 2 on ATM. Were you getting a coffee table or just side table? The rug I was thinking of is shown below but I would layer with the same blue rug:) plus it's not that big. it's from French connection. I wouldn't have all these things together btw :)

• PRO
    Fenland Carpets and Flooring Ltd.
    7 years ago
    Have a look at the new range from Oriental weavers called Sushi beautiful circles woven together in various colours
  • mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you. Yes had to use my powers to persuade my partner :D I'm kidding it was quite easy actually. I was looking at that FC rug actually but the size put me off. Looking at your picture I must say I quite like layered rugs. Need to put some masking tape down to see where they could be placed..I'm struggling to imagine it. Or anything else in fact :) We've decided the sofa will stay at the wall for now. It just feels better.
    I'll order some white hydrangeas..thanks for the tip I'll look at M&S or Bloom does 3 for 2 too. We have an ornate rectangular golden mirror which I want to test above the fire surround before I look for a new one. Not sure about a coffee table. I was going to wait for the armchair to be delivered to help me see if a coffee table is needed..? Will check out the art and cushions. I guess I do need to order a rug(s) or console so we can go from there..
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Well I suppose it isn't that pink! I really like that FC rug and it's a good price. I should have posted pics of their rugs in the first place as they layer them well! Definitely try the mirror if it will save buying a new one. I think you'll probably need a table of sorts, would do the same and mask the floor out. If you went for a coffee table I'd probably go glass with a brass/gold frame. Yes decide on one of the big pieces and then you can coordinate from there. It's a shame there's a wait on the chair :(

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Minnie. I'll make some decisions and will be back soon :)
  • PRO
    Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
    7 years ago

Hello Mira, I would suggest, before you buy anything to your living-room, to paint the black wall around the fireplace. Black "eats" a lots of light and makes the space look smaller. About accessories, curtains, furnitures and details I would also go for lighter accents to balance dark walls and dark floor.

Marcin

• mira x
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Before searching for a new mirror I've tried the one we've got..what do you think ?
  • PRO
    Love-Rugs
    7 years ago

Bold, bright rugs really work well well with dark floors. It can add colour, create mood and become a real focal point. I've attached one example.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.