Caitriona
7 years ago
What do you all think?

I can't seem to decide

Comments (52)

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you very much persona abode, I appreciate it.

I prob don't know the correct terminology for the soft furnishings but I probably meant the throw, the mustard throw on the couch?

Here in Ireland we call them rugs but did you think I meant the rug on the floor?
  • Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Also if I was to rearrange the furniture: where the second armchair would go there is a double door there leading to an outside patio.

And the couch if I was to move that.... Would it look weird looking at the back of a couch when you walk in? I was very open to doing it but that would be my only reservation that it would look 'off'.

Also if you see the second set of photos I sent we eat just in front of the armchairs so again would it be weird looking at the back of a couch just in front of the dining table and chairs?
  • Related Discussions

Rust coloured leather suite what colours compliments it

Q

Comments (18)
    Like where you are going with the blue. Keep the curtains straight, no tie backs, replace the blind with no frills and change your occasional furniture to something more like the tv set up - not wood as your floor is wood and it makes it look at bit "twee". Darker blue/grey on the chimney breast maybe and paler walls, also more textured cushions in different shapes to add interest in neutral colours. The blues look good on your fire place and the picture too. Instead of gold why not add a brighter yellow, like the daffs, to bring modernity to the scheme? Good luck!
    ...See More

Dark brown leather suites and new house

Q

Comments (15)
    So excited now by your comments, I'm definitely going with turquoise and taupe with the dark brown sofas. Can't wait to move. I have also noticed those large wall units which would fit in at the back of the lounge as it is a bit of a spare space. The door is in the middle of the lounge and I anticipate the sofas going to the right of the door near the fireplace. Can you buy these or are they bespoke to a each requirement? I'll search....xx
    ...See More

Rug size and placement in my living room

Q

Comments (21)
    Wow thanks for all the ideas.i know everything looks really brown but the contrasting cushions were delayed and should be gère n'est week. The pic was taken the day they arrived and we have moved the sofa away from the wall so that we can have a light behind. I really wanted 2 chairs instead of the sofa but my other half was not keen on that style unfortunately. I am sorting all the other bits in coffee tables, mirrors, curtains now and will leave the rug for last and see how it all comes together before tackling the rug situation. Thank you also for all the photo shop images. Does Houzz have that feature? I would love to be able to do that!
    ...See More

Tan brown leather suite - decor?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi there, do you have any photos you can upload? We’d suggest that you consider a neutral carpet shade such as our Oaklands range in Soapstone, to match the walls and sofa. Plus, a natural décor not only brightens up the home but can create a sense of space – reflecting the light in all seasons! If you want to add personality to your area, team with cushions and throws in plush fabrics and exciting colours. Alternatively, a textured wool loop carpet is perfect if you can’t handle it totally plain – such as our Malabar range – it can make a floor a real feature, adding the contemporary look of modern flooring with the warmth and comfort of wool plus add an extra dimension to a living space. We’ve added some pics to give you some inspiration – hope this helps! Explore our full product collection at https://www.cormarcarpets.co.uk/ranges/carpet-ranges/
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Persona Abode
    7 years ago
    Ah!! Thanks for teaching me the Irish meaning for a rug, I will remember that.
    The mustard is a nice warm addition to the couch, perhaps introduce the colour around the rest of the space to tie it all together.
  • Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ok thank you again
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

I would try draping it just over the arm of the sofa. If you want to move the sofa then add a slim console table behind. They're great for zoning areas and also means you're not looking at the back of a sofa. I tried finding a pic with the entrance door behind the sofa so you could visualise

• Dundrum 16
    7 years ago
    Thanks for teaching me the Irish meaning for a rug. I'm Irish and have never heard a throw described as a rug! You made me doubt my ability to discern colours - I said to myself 'surely that rug is grey?'.
  • PRO
    Persona Abode
    7 years ago
    I have to say I also questioned my knowledge of colour too Dun drum 16.
  • Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Its always been known as a rug where I am from anyway!

Thank you Minnie 101, its great to get a better understanding of what you mean through a picture. So would you think I should move the couch?? And where and how would you drape the throw?

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi. A couple of pics for formal and informal arrangement. You could also try just having 2 cushions on one side with the throw the other. How many in your family watch tv as you may be limited on layout options having the glass doors too. You could try just swapping the sofa and chairs with the lamp table in the middle of the chairs but play around and see what you prefer. You can also just pull the sofa away from the fire a little to give it a bit more space, so rather than create symmetry with the windows do it with your seating arrangement and rug, In terms of rug size, many people use this layout with a coffee table on top. You could consider a glass one so it doesn't visually fill the space. I think I remember seeing your room ages ago, it's a lovely room

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lovely Minnie, thank you. I will try the rug `draped` ( stragecially placed!) over the side of the couch and repost. I will also try re organise the furniture this week. Five of us in the house. My husband and 3 small kids, we are not television watchers ( even though there is one there) but yes we will still need access to go outside the double glass doors

• minnie101
    7 years ago

I know they're hard to drape! I've got a French style cane bed with a footboard and no matter how I try to drape the throw it never works :( you could consider removing the tv altogether and having the chairs either side of the fire with the sofa opposite? I do like your existing layout though but would just give the fire a little more space and maybe add a coffee table to bring furniture into the middle of the room plus it also gives you a chance to add a few more accessories

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Minnie.

My kids watch Telly for one hour per day so we still kinda need it and the adults watch it when the kids are gone to bed.

The reason I don't have a coffee table is because the kids all play/ lounge/ do games/ tossle etc. on that rug and I feel that if I put a table in the middle it it might just be on the way. No?

Would I move the couch right done to the plant? Would it not look strange then not sitting in the middle of the two windows? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!!!
  • Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Very rough pictures guys just did it quickly when I came home so excuse the mess!

Is this better? Should I position the armchairs central on the wall? As in the lamp table centre to the picture and the armchairs then centre to each window?

Will it then be too close too the fire?
  • Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Photos
  • shelleyuk
    7 years ago
    I think your furniture positioning is less of an issue than the size of the floor rug. It is just too small. The feet of the furniture need to be resting on the rug.
  • shelleyuk
    7 years ago
    Actually just pull everything in towards the rug a bit and you'll probably fix the problem.
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

I'm not sure that I like it any more than your existing tbh. You could try centering it but it doesn't look as if you have the room. I can't really see the doors, would this arrangement pictured work if the tv was in the back left corner? Or try the first layout Persona Abode suggested but bring the sofa into the room more than you have it now. You could also keep your existing layout but try the lamp table in the alcove and push the sofa down. As I said though I like your existing so see what works for you. It seems as if a coffee table is a little way off :)

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Minnie, I will try centre it all and see what you think.

I really appreciate your input
  • Bev Robson
    7 years ago
    hi, I've just picked up on this discussion and, to my mind, it seem to have got confused by the original use of rug where many would have used throw. l agree that the original layout of furniture is as good, if not better than the rearranged setting. I would go back to the original, however the question was about the mustard rug/throw and to that I would say that I don't like it as it stands. As an accent colour it is fine, but to tie it into the room it needs some help from one or two more pieces, a vase, plant pot, picture frame, cushion? I also agree that draped over an arm rather than spread over the back looks better, giving a more concentrated splash of colour.
  • Bev Robson
    7 years ago
    I've just had another look at your earliest photos. I really think that a mustard cushion on each armchair, mustard picture frame on the wall between the windows (with perhaps a matching additional picture to the left of the fireplace) and a mustard lamp base or lampshade would be more than sufficient to bring the room together. It's a lovely room by the way!
  • Dundrum 16
    7 years ago
    Your room is beautiful and with three young children your layout, with a cosy rug underfoot and the open space in the centre of the room, is ideal. Mustard works well as an accent colour with the rest of your palette, and you could repeat it with a few more items ( not loads). Health to enjoy it!
  • shelleyuk
    7 years ago

I think we're all agreed that the original layout was the best and that the mustard throw is nice. I just think each piece of furniture needs to shift towards the centre a bit more so that the front is resting non the floor rug. Its a tiny fix but will make the room look less like a collection of items and more like a cohesive scheme. I would also agree about a little bit more mustard in the scheme.

• sam irwin
    7 years ago
    I'm Irish too and I've never heard of a throw called a 'rug'! I was looking at the rug on the floor thinking I had gone colour blind.
  • neon_kent
    7 years ago

Joining the fray, I'm American, and I'd call that a rug (or a throw) and I totally understand the need for kid-friendly space, so coffee table to one side (it will be back in the middle soon enough). I absolutely love the colour of the rug and would suggest running with it to the point of painting the wall with the windows that colour - it would go great with the blinds and the blue in the kitchen and warm up the whole extended space. Little dashes of colour around the stove and echoed in the kitchen and the whole area will sing!

• sandyandrews
    7 years ago

Hi

My suggestion is that you put that (floor) rug in another room and invest in a much larger one with a bold design incorporating a patch or swirl of mustard yellow to balance your throw. Hope that helps.

• Vonn
    7 years ago

What a beautiful, beautiful room. I have serious living room envy. Superb taste.

• Mmama Mothapo
    7 years ago
    Comment
  • Mmama Mothapo
    7 years ago
    u go back to the bathr
  • gd11
    7 years ago

I like the re- arranged room with the two chairs by the two windows looks much better. The floor rug is fine, just pull it away from the chairs towards the centre of the room a little, not too much just 6 or 8 inches away. As regards your throw (rug) you have chosen correctly from the colour wheel and gone for a complementary colour which is opposite the colour tone of your suit for maximum contrast and maximum stability. You are quite correct in your choice of colour for your throw. You could also have gone for the blue tones or red/orange tones. We all tend to play safe and go beige or white for accessories but you have gone for the bold look and with young children in the house you want to be bright and bold and colourful so I say well done with your oolour choice and enjoy your lovely room. You have chosen well. Maybe go for yellow flowers when you next choose some. Enjoy!

• Mariamni Heracleous
    7 years ago
    A red carpet will suit! giving some brightness in the room without becoming too much.... consider a brick - red . Sofa's colour has base the red.
  • catriona2
    7 years ago

Sorry but I don't think red would be right. I love the combo of the mustard (throw) in the room but I do agree with some other comments. I think you need to introduce more of the same colour with cushions and more (throws). Whilst I think your room looks fab I do think that it could take the mustard colour on one wall as well as already suggested by someone else. With all that I think it would be completely tres fab!

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you all very much for your comments and input. I really appreciate it. And sorry for only getting back to this now.

I've taken more pic of the room when it is a little tidier! I've centered things a bit better so what do you all think?

I am always changing stuff around ( pictures/ throws, cushions) so I don't want to change too much or paint any walls as I know myself next year I will get fed up and change it al again!

The rug ( one in the floor!!!) I cannot afford to change it and get a new one plus I like it. I did try
  • Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I did try put the legs of all the furniture on the rug but it all seemed a bit squashy???? And it felt weird the two armchairs out from the wall.

So I will defo go with more mustard accessories as that is the cheapest way. Mustard cushions on the two armchairs.... Is it too much to put mustard cushions on an already patterned tartan armchair? Would it be overkill?

All suggestions and input greatly appreciated and thank you all for the kind comments on my room, it's a fun filled room where we play and tossle and do games with the little ones
  • PRO
    The Classic Barn Company
    7 years ago
    Yes it fits in really well.
  • lkirk44
    7 years ago
    Really like the mustard would add few cushions in it too, l think table and lamp would suit being next to fireplace to balance scheme but that's my OC D lol!
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

I like the first and last layout. The sofa is wider than the rug so I don't think it will work all feet on. In the future you could consider an upholstered footstool on wheels which won't do any damage to the kids and can easily be wheeled away for play. You can add pattern to the chairs, something larger scaled than the print as pictured or smaller, florals always match with tartan. You could also add another tartan in a different scale or just add texture

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Minnie, how about a mustard tartan cushion?

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

pleeeeease help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Yes another tartan would work. Vary the scale as shown here, you might also want to pick up the greige which should be easy to find. Maybe not one for today as I'm about to pass out next to my aga in this heat (!) but you could also consider a knitted cushion similar to pictured which would give a lovely cosy feel for Autumn and winter

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ok ,great thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Large tartan mustard cushion.............got it! now where to find it

• catriona2
    7 years ago

I really think that tweed or huge knit cushions would work really well. They would bring texture without clashing overly with the pattern that you have. I really do hope you will think about painting some colour on random walls taking it back into your dining area as well to tie it all together. As I said to my husband when I had our kitchen painted in (50 well) 11 different shades of F&B grey - its only paint and can be quickly changed if we get fed up or don't like it.

I think your home looks lovely. Please relax and enjoy it - I can't believe how fab it looks considering its a family room with young children! Props - as the young people say! or maybe they don't anymore!

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you catriona.....lovely irish name ( I am a Caitriona too!) so I will defo look for tweed or knit cushions!

• catriona2
    7 years ago

I'm Scottish so one fewer i than you! I'll look forward to seeing the final product although it looks pretty damn good right now!

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi ladies, so I know it's only cushions but I'd still like to get it right!

How do these cushions look to al of you? I have sourced them on the Internet from the same company who made the mustard throw ( although they are trade only, they won't sell directly to me).

Would the mustard cushions be nice with the beige/taupe ones behind it? Too much? I am judging by what you said Minnie that it might be nice to have a knitted cushion behind it?? Is the quilted mustard going to work? They don't have plain or tartan mustard cushions. I would have preferred the large tartan mustard that you suggested Minnie
  • Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    And
  • PRO
    M&K BEDROOM DESIGNS
    7 years ago

I would go for Tartan ! Love the wood burner !

• Caitriona
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you M&K, which tartan would you go for?

• PRO
  • PRO
    M&K BEDROOM DESIGNS
    7 years ago

This one... Has beautiful plums, pinks and greens to bring out your amazing lounge, plus there is a hint of mustard in their too !!!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.