megakid

Kitchen dilemma - dry wall behind counter or not?

megakid
11 years ago
Hi there,

I am in a bit of a quandery about my kitchen. I self-designed it (my first) after plenty of professional advice here and there. The kitchen arrived last week and I am very pleased with the quality of the units - all good so far. The plumber came yesterday and installed the new combi boiler (which is to be housed in a countertop custom-made tambour unit) which looks to be ok but mentioned that he will need to come back when the drywall is built behind the cabinets so he can access the void to plumb the kitchen sink waste pipe (with necessary fall etc). However, I was planning on having no dry-wall or void running behind the cabinets.

My images show the 3D view of my original plan and one that I think should work best if I did attempt to fit a dry wall in. Also have included the 2D top down plan for added information. You can see on the diagrams that I have enlarged the pillar (which is actually the building waste stack that my sink must be plumbed into) so the new wall is flush with it on the lounge side but I am open to options. I really wanted to keep this pillar to a minimum and planned to have my granite worktops going to the ground on that end (where the pillar doesn't cover).

A builder also mentioned that I would need a dry-wall to support the counter-top and steady the cabinets but I disagreed - my thoughts were if that was the case, how are kitchen island supported?

I'd really appreciate some help with this, is a dry wall the only option, could I plumb the waste pipe around the back in a void between the glossy end panel and the cabinets (is this effectively a dry wall?).

Also which do people find more attractive? I liked the idea of having the kitchen end panel exposed but maybe this will look unfinished?

Cheers,

James

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.