dfransko

Change single door to double door

David Fransko
7 years ago
I have a single entry door with sidelights and would like to change it out to double doors with Windows (to let more light flow through the house).

I've attached pics of what I have and what I want.

My question is, what do you think something like this might cost? Can't get a quote until November as these companies are booked up until then.

Comments (52)

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    No... Those aren't photos of my actual house! The first photo shows the type of door I have but its not my actual door. The second photo shows how the person who owns this door changed it to a double door.

So to the first response, the double door fits in the space of the single door and sidelights.

To the second response, why would I have to move lighting? The lighting in the photos doesn't look moved.
  • David Fransko
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    No one has any idea of the approximate cost to do this?
  • Related Discussions

Double oven/Two Single Ovens/Combi Microwave & Oven

Q

Comments (52)
    #Mrs Lanks - having altered our original kitchen when we moved in 13 years ago we are now freshening up paintwork, replacing worktops and installing new appliances as the layout we chose then still works for us. We presently have a Rangemaster but they have changed the style so are considering two single ovens either side by side or on top of each other. If the latter, does the top oven need to be supported rather than just placed on top of the bottom one.....? Also, which brand did you end up buying as we are researching Neff and Bosch which both seem to have a problem cleaning the doors as you apparently need to take the glass door out....!?
    ...See More

Sliding SINGLE/DOUBLE Pocket Door Kits H2400mm

Q

Comments (4)
    Try here:- Sliding Door Stuff, I know they do extra tall doors, probably best calling them
    ...See More

Damp around double glazed door - advice wanted

Q

Comments (2)
    hi I wonder how long you have had the planter situated on the left side of the entrance. this may be a source of the problem. if water is being directed over the damp course on the wall. the rendered finish to the house does not show any indication of a dpc, so this could have been bridged by works in the past. the pavement level is high on the house looking at the step into the house. it should be 150mm or three brick courses. yours seems to be only 50 mm at the entrance. the door is fitted virtually flush in the opening and there is an absence of a threshold cill at the entrance. any water hitting the door will run down and be discharged through sweep holes on the profile onto the small margin at the front. this may be running along and entering around the door. in terms of solutions. check mastic seals at the door to try to renew. add a threshold strip to the door to throw water out off the door. check on some of the other possibilities. rising damp will contain ground salts, this can be tested on the internal wall with a salts meter, a surveyor can do this for you. sorry without more investigation the possibilities and solutions are wide open from your initial information. best Rowland
    ...See More

Internal Door style change

Q

Comments (4)
    Personally I would stick with the Victorian 4 panel style. Just be consistent through the r house whichever you go for. Whether they are wood or white will depend on your preference. It looks like you are thinking wood, so bear in mind your flooring and make sure they don’t clash. You probably need to spend more to get a good finish if wood also.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

how can we know the cost when we don't even know what kind of door u want or what your space looks like??

if you mean just for labor, then the cost of hanging a pre-hung double door is about 500, give or take. That is just taking the old one out and putting in the new one. If there has to be additional framing or widening or narrowing the existing opening, then tack on additional charges.

As for the door itself, you're too vague. Is it all wood, vinyl clad exterior, refinished or unfinished, what kind of glass is it, what kind of wood is it??????? see what I mean? post exactly what you want, what it's made of and post a pic of exactly where it's going.

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Let me rephrase the question.... How much do you think the owners of the house of the pictures I posted paid to have their single door with sidelights replaced with the double door as is shown in the pics? Assume the door is a wood door.
  • live_wire_oak
    7 years ago

The doors you pictured are 10-15K. Plus about 4-6K of labor. I've done it frequently. They are fully custom and need highly skilled craftsmen to handle. There are many more intricacies to that "simple" project than you can imagine.

With special order materials instead of full custom, you might get by at half of the cost.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

live wire,,,,seriously?? . You can buy doors like this without getting them custom built. I don't know where you shop, but it's somewhere expensive! Can they cost this much??? Of course. but you can also find them a lot cheaper.

dfransko,,,ballpark for doors and install (barring no framing issues or retro fitting or any problems, just a straight switch out) 3k-5K. hardware maybe a few hundred more. Check Anderson Doors and they have pre-stocked styles that are similar to this. You can also check around with local door companies and such. I ordered 5 ft single lite solid oak french doors. home depot wanted 2500 for them, via Anderson, I believe. I found a door manufacturer that was local in LA and had the same doors made for 1K. Pre-hung, solid oak threshold and jamb. It pays to shop around.

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

Dfransko, I am about a week from having custom mahogany double entry doors installed to replace builder's grade double entry doors. The price is just under $7K installed. That doesn't include the art glass. You will have higher labor costs due to having to demo sidelights & re-case door frame. Attached are interior & exterior pics of windows of
    same construction. Lights in doors will be 3/4 & same art glass.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

you could also get the doors made in pine or doug fir, with the regular glass. The guy didn't specify which type of wood. He also didn't specify custom built. And from the picture of the second door, they are removing the side lights to make room for the '2nd' door. So there would be no glass cost, other that the middle part of the door and those appear to be clear.

Here....mahogany,,,similar to the one he asked about. ,$2156 http://www.nicksbuilding.com/Mahogany_Exterior_Doors/entry_doors_dbl_doors/entry_doors_double.php

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago
    Beth, that's good price depending on which mahogany. Your pic shows beveled glass, which I love, but wife wanted privacy while gathering as much light as possible. Our entry faces north & recessed, making it inherently dark. Our doors are wider & have high security latching mechanism. A lot of double entry latches aren't very secure.
  • Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

I would not use softwood on exterior doors, especially if the doors aren't sheltered. I had a Doug fir exterior door split from exposure to direct sun from west. It was door to hot water heater locker so it wasn't immediate disaster.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

bruce I totally agree. And your doors are gorgeous. but the OP posted a pic of doors and wanted a price, without posting any specifics.

I was trying to show that you could get anywhere from 3k all the way to 10K.

• printesa
    7 years ago

Those doors, labor included would probably be around 5k. We looked at doors and those that are not custom are much cheaper than custom ones..Also, the one you like is painted so no fancy wood needed.

• printesa
    7 years ago

@live_wire, what are those craftsman doing for 4-6k in labor? If the door would be 10k, why would installing cost what a doctor makes in a month? I understand 4-6k labor for making the door, but not installing it..

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

I'm w/ printesa on installation costs. My figure above includes everything, doors, installation including new threshold, hardware, disposal of old doors, etc. Even in expensive SoCal one can find skilled independent finish carpenters & cabinetmakers at $60-75/hr. & through a shop at under $100/hr. Even through a shop that's 40-60 man-hrs. of labor.

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I'll update when I get the actual quote
  • millworkman
    7 years ago

What does your house look like? Is there an overhang? Double Doors are inherent leakers.

• dagmarmc
    7 years ago
    I paid $7000.00 to do the opposite.....had double doors converted to one door and side lights with beveled glass. It's the retrofitting where the costs lie I believe. And probably the quality of door, etc. Call a door and glass company and get an estimate.
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

Two points. Double doors are easier to break in through than single. Also, a Solartube would give light at less cost.

• ma7959
    6 years ago
    I have a single door and went to Lowes and ordered a door with side light panels on both sides. I went to Lowes after door was delivered to my house that I needed someone to put it on for me. I was told that I need a contractor to do that because they will have to do some cuttings to fit the new door on. They mentioned something about the "header" that holds the house blah blah. I am now looking for a contractor. I need help getting estimates on how much this will cost and find the right contractor.
  • printesa
    3 years ago

They are beautiful!

• Anna Whitfield
    3 years ago

Is that 4800$ with the cost of the door? This is beautiful! We’re about to do the same thing!

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Door and labor = $4800

• mdmattson4
    3 years ago

Thanks for updating the original post!

looks great! And just the before/after idea I was looking for!

• Blair Lownsbery
    3 years ago

@dfransko can you elaborate how you got it done? Ordered doors separately? Custom built them ? What part of the country are you in? Did you go through Home Depot or anything? Love them and want to do the same!

• Blair Lownsbery
    3 years ago

Also @dfransko what was the measurements of your opening? Doors?

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Blair I first looked into Home Depot and Lowe’s. What I found was that the highest quality brand carried by these Big Box stores was ThermaTru. However, when I investigated further, I found that ThermaTru actually created an entire line of doors made specifically for Lowe’s and Home Depot. These lines of doors are inferior to their normal products. So I decided to look elsewhere.

By asking my neighbors on NextDoor, I found a highly recommended local company that did windows, doors, and siding. I went to talk to them and explained what I wanted to do. They carried several brands of doors and so ended up choosing Provia due to its quality reputation. The company came out, measured my door opening (about 65 inches), took note of my options (black door, 8 lights, Baldwin handle set, etc.) and placed the order with Provia. About four weeks later, they came to remove my old door and install the new one.

The quotes I got from HD and Lowe’s all came in around $3500-$4000. For $4800 I had my door project completed by a company that I knew did good work, a product that was superior, and at a price that not that much more than HD or Lowe’s.

I reside in SE Michigan.

• Blair Lownsbery
    3 years ago

@dfransko thanks so much for the information! I’ve been told to expect $10k but I saw what you had wrote and am so glad I did! Maybe I can look on next door and check that out... and I am so glad to hear your measurement is near mine (66.25 inches) because I was so worried it wouldn’t work! Any other tips you have would be welcome and thanks so much again!

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That’s what I thought too especially for a Provia door, but the project came in under budget. Couldn’t be happier. Another problem with HD and Lowe’s is that they subcontract out the installation to various companies. So you really don’t know who is going to install until you agree to buy the door! If something goes wrong, who do you call? HD? The installer? The door manufacturer? I’ve learned that this set up allows them to pass the buck on responsibility.

• ctthomp95
    3 years ago

David- would also LOVE to know more about your entryway stone - I noticed you replaced it! What did you do instead and what was the timeline/cost, etc! It absolutely ads to the look of your beautiful door!

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi. The first pictures at the top of the thread were not photos of my actual home. They were just examples of the kind of doors that I wanted. I did not change any stone at my entryway.

• Blair Lownsbery
    3 years ago

@dfransko thanks for all the info. I have finally settled on a door (going to be iron) and put a little more into the budget to get the exact look I was going for. The door itself was $4800 plus installation and shipping which put me at $6500. I have to wait for them to custom make it to my sizes but I am so glad I saw your post as it encouraged me to continue my search. Pic of my door choice below. Thanks!

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Blair Wow. Beautiful!! Love that look. What are you doing as far as privacy? Will people be able to see into your home?

• PRO
    Deuren
    3 years ago

The contemporary option for a traditional setting, this was installed this week. We manufacture Front Entrance Doors which are totally bespoke to the Clients needs, so the options on style & finish is practically unlimited.

• Blair Lownsbery
    3 years ago

@dfransko the windows will be slightly mirrored but at night people can see in. I have a large foyer and we are set back over 100ft off an not so busy road so I’m not too concerned. We have to wait for them to be made which is the downfall of custom doors

• Julie G
    2 years ago

Great thread. David your doors look outstanding and Blair thanks for asking all of my questions. We got a quote this week to do exactly what David did and with a discount we’re looking at $6,751. I’m going to look a bit more after reading this.

• Julie G
    2 years ago

@dfransko what type, material, Provia door did you go with. They have so many options.

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Julie,

I can’t remember the name (maybe Provia Heritage?) but it is their middle line quality-wise. Their top line door was about $6500 but my budget was $5k, plus when I did the research on Provia, I found that their best value was this middle line.

• Julie G
    2 years ago

Thank you David!

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Julie, also prices have gone WAY up since last summer when I did the door project. $6751 may be the new price considering the inflation we are seeing in building materials.

FYI, I just bought 2x4x8 lumber and paid $17.50 for each one. They were $2 at Home Depot a couple of years ago.

• Melanie Fielder
    2 years ago

Blair where did you get your doors?

• Blair Lownsbery
    2 years ago

Hi! We ordered them custom through Raleigh door center. If you are near or around them I highly recommend as he can fabricate the door to any specification or look you want. He also has a few partners across a few states so you may want to get in touch. His name is Jim tell him I sent you.

• Blair Lownsbery
    2 years ago

Well my doors finally came in and were installed! Only took 8 months! Pics attached

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    2 years ago

They look beautiful Blair!! Congrats!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Blair, those are beautiful doors! those were custom? or did another company make them? And they're all iron? I would love to have those doors!! lol

• Blair Lownsbery
    2 years ago

@pokerliz these were custom through Raleigh Door Center… i designed a lot of these and he fit the measurements… I highly recommend them and they can make anything you want! They are all iron and the glass panes can swing out for cleaning. If you go to Raleigh door center tell Jim I sent you!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Blair, Thank you!! again, very beautiful! (can you tell me if there is a special gauge or anything detailed about them? wondering if I take a photo to a door place around me if they could copy the look. NC is a bit far from SoCal! Although, I do have a friend that lives there. but I don't think he's driving out this way anytime soon!

• Blair Lownsbery
    2 years ago

@pokerliz I can send you the full design plan if you provide your email! Measurements and all!

• Ali Jamison
    last year

@David Fransko l live in SE Michigan as well and would like to tackle the same project. May I ask the name of the company that you used?

• David Fransko
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Ali,

George Meyer Company in Ann Arbor. Ask for Mike.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.