minnie101

Exterior paint colours

minnie101
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi. My house was painted before we moved in c3 years ago however some of the windows are peeling and therefore whilst tackling them we thought we'd do the render to avoid further scaffolding costs :( The age of the house is up for debate as it was rebuilt, deeds lost etc but I think c 1840 and is Italian Renaissance in style. I'm very keen (I think!) to keep it in period colours. I'm thinking of doing the Windows in little Greene purple brown or a dark colour. The doors will potentially be LG lamp black or maybe the purple brown. The render will be a stone colour or an ochre has been suggested but I'm not sure. I like Portland stone but not sure if it's too green and can't find any pics of it used on a large scale just to give a rough idea. I believe all of the architectural details would have been painted the same colour historically but am pondering whether to go against this and paint them say in Portland stone pale so as to highlight them as they are now. Any ideas, thoughts or images of Portland stone would be great. Pics will follow. Thanks

Comments (89)

• minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Campo I can tell you clearly admire him for his professional skills :) . Yes it would be great, I've found out little details like inquests used to be held here and the stagecoach into London stopped here, it just brings the house more alive

• Helen C
    7 years ago
    Clearly he is a very good architect Minnie ;) knowing the history certainly does bring the house alive, I'm waiting for the 1921 census to be released in 2021 before I can find out anything about mine! I love seeing who has lived in the house before too. Our last house was first occupied by a tea merchant, it conjured up lots of Victorian imagery in my head of a Victorian gentleman in a top hat and tails going about his business! Imagine the sought of characters that have been through your door if inquests were held there! How exciting!
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Clearly :) that's a while to wait, will be exciting though! It's great to imagine people living in your house and what went on there. Yes, I'm clearly not the first riff raff through the door!

• Helen C
    7 years ago
    Have you made any progress on your paint colour Minnie? Just wondering if the house is listed do the council publish a list of ral colours you're allowed to use? Sorry for the delay in replying btw, end of the month is busy in my line of work and I have to stay off Houzz otherwise I'd get nothing done!
    minnie101 thanked Helen C
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey campo. I can understand that in your line of work :) No real progress, I had a guy round to quote last week but I'm expecting a pretty high quote which I'm joyfully awaiting as he's already said how long it will take and how tricky the scaffolding will be :( The house is listed. I have written confirmation from the council that I can paint the render in a not too dissimilar colour (Somewhat subjective!) but this guy has apparently painted half the street and had to change one house after it being painted so I'm going to apply for consent for the whole lot to be safe. I knew i needed it for doors and windows but thought I could start someone off painting the walls whilst the consent came through. I don't Know if a council list of colours exists but using a period colour clearly may not suffice! This guy left me with a dulux heritage chart but none of the colours are grabbing me, the undertones just seem too pink or yellow :( I've been knocked out with a bad cold but need to get some testers as colour charts are ok but not that representative!

• Helen C
    7 years ago
    Crikey that would be an expensive mistake having to repaint the house twice, definitely wise to consult with planning and get it agreed before commencing work. Had a look at the dulux heritage, I see what you mean, definite yellow undertones in lots/most/actually all of the colours. The best one to my eye online is Indian white but it could be completely different in real life. The colours on the chart seem to lack substance, not sure what I mean by that but i think I mean they're not very exciting!Hope your quote isn't too eye watering, are you getting a couple of other quotes to compare?
  • Victoria
    7 years ago
    Where approximately in UK are you, Minnie? There may be pros on here.
    I'd definitely get colour approval from council first. Painter you've had round probably likes using dulux, you could get them to colour match. Worth getting a small pot first to make sure it's accurate.
    minnie101 thanked Victoria
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks ladies. By some miracle I managed to get through to the duty planning officer who has given me the contact details for the historic building officer so have queried paint and reinstating a bedroom fire:) Campo, I agree there's not much depth to the colours and the stone ones in particular are uninspiring. Victoria, colour matching may have to be the way to go with the render re cost. I've just got the quote through which is a big ouch, scaffolding alone is £1,700 (my husband suggested he climb on the roof and do the chimneys but not sure that's the best idea!). I need to get at least 2 more but this guy is apparently very reasonable and extremely good based on reviews. His quote was based on dulux for masonry and LG for Windows and doors and he works with LG and f&b too. We do have a friend who's a decorator and very good but most of their work is from a huge contract where they don't do fixed quotes...I'll have a look for pros on here too

• Helen C
    7 years ago
    Hi Minnie did you manage to speak to the historic buildings officer? I'd say they are a very interesting person to chat to about the local architecture. I can't remember if I said before but my render was painted in ammonite colour matched to johnstones masonry paint. As they have the licence for f&b the colour is the exact match and so I suppose it's less of a risk in that respect. Hope your paint quotes haven't been too astronomical!
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Campo. Good point! I did, I do need consent for the render (good job I didn't paint based on what the duty planning officer said in writing!). So given where we are with weather and Xmas it may be sensible to put off painting off until early spring or see what the weather is like before. I hadn't realised that re johnstones, I obviously like a few F&B colours so that could be a great option if the Johnstones paint is good. I've been told I can try some testers on the actual house, I didn't think I'd be allowed so that's good (i could imagine me painting bits of paper and sticking them to the walls :) and once that's done will put in for consent. Astronomical isn't the word and that's with me painting the garden wall and not doing the bit that overhangs next doors garden (long story!).

• Helen C
    7 years ago
    Gosh it's a good job you checked it out properly. I'm quite surprised they will let you do testers on the actual wall but that's great news, it'll be a patchwork of colours before you know it...you'll be out there every weekend until spring trying every variation of Portland stone until you find the perfect colour! I agree it's best to wait until spring but that gives you plenty of time to plan it properly. Overhang on the neighbours wall sounds like a bit of a headache, hope they are friendly! Re johnstones I've had no issue with it, it seemed to go on smoothly and has been fine for the past year. I'm no expert though, there may be others with a different view and the quality of the paint is something you need to be happy with before you start. Can't wait to see your windows painted though, think they will be just beautiful.
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmm, that's what I thought but hopefully the law would have been on my side! I was really surprised re testers actually. They'll also let me create a hole in my chimney breast just in case by some miracle the original fire is still inside (I can dream but the alcoves are deep!). I think the light will be much better in spring too, even though it will be a fixed price it's best to do it whilst daylight hours are long. I want to get the application in by Xmas but it will give me a few weeks to try lots of testers! I'm looking forward to seeing the Windows too. I will ask my friend re johnstones, I've only ever heard him moan re F&B like every decorator :)

• boundsgreener
    7 years ago

Hi Minnie - I've really enjoyed reading this thread about your beautiful home. Even if you've got all your permissions in place, I'd definitely wait for the Spring before you paint because otherwise you run the risk of re-living what you have now - paint that's peeling. It won't set properly if the temperature is too low (I think it's 5 degrees for oil based and 10 for water based, or something like that) and if it rains on it when it isn't properly dry it'll get spots or - in the case of water based - just wash off!

All your colour choices sound lovely. Good luck!

minnie101 thanked boundsgreener
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi boundsgreener. Thanks for your lovely comments. Good point re the temperature, I'd been more focussed on the drying times in case of rain rather than the temperature. Guess I'll just have to be patient. It doesn't help that a bunch of kids threw a carton of eggs on the front of the house so we now have an almighty stain! Great to see you back on houzz btw :)

• charlie_bill
    7 years ago

loving your paint journey Minnie! marking my place to watch with interest.

Campo how did you find out about census release dates? Are the dates for 1930's released already? Would love to do some historical snooping about our house! We still have a garden gnome owned by the doctor who lived her in the 70's - he has been passed down to each owner to look after him! - apparently part of the house was his surgery and waiting room, according to our builders wife who used to play here as a child!

• Helen C
    7 years ago
    Hi charlie_bill, the census is every 10 years and is only published 100 years after it took place. Therefore as far as I am aware the 1921 census will be published January 2022. I think you might have to wait until 2032/2042 to see the 1931/1941 census! Love that story about the gnome.
  • charlie_bill
    7 years ago

ha h - yeah brain wasn't engaged there for a minute! Oh I wonder if we will still be here in 20 years for that! He's a pretty creepy gnome mind, so we're looking after him well ....... from the garage!

• charlie_bill
    7 years ago

Minnie are you still looking for wishbone chairs?

• minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Charlie, I've just seen your comment. That's sounds odd! Where did you find them?

• charlie_bill
    7 years ago

cult furniture - I also found some others - can we message on Houzz? thought I could but can't find how to do it.

minnie101 thanked charlie_bill
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll take a look! I can't work it out either yet I've used it a few times, I thought you just clicked on someone's profile and there was an option?!

• Helen C
    7 years ago
    Have you sat on a wishbone chair Minnie? I've sat on the hans wenger and the westelm one. Couldn't get over how uncomfortable the back bar was, it just dug into my back. Love the look of them though, very stylish.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Funny, friends of mine have the real Wishbone chairs and I think they are pretty comfortable.
  • Helen C
    7 years ago
    Oh dear that confirms I may be very picky, either that or I have a strange body shape that doesn't suit classically designed chairs!
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I haven't, are they that bad?! I quite fancied them for the kitchen, I just have old farmhouse chairs which I dip dyed but they are really uncomfortable, fall apart every day and aren't particularly stylish! Perhaps a rethink then!

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    Or I have a weird body that's made for designer chairs ;-)
    It's probably to do with length of back and length of legs or something. Don't underestimate posterior testing.
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Carolina, your English is outstanding. I haven't heard anyone say posterior since losing my Nan!

• mrsmcee74
    7 years ago
    Hi Minnie, I've read that for exterior paint go a shade or two darker because the light tends to wash it out a bit. But I'm sure you'll find the perfect shade once you unleash the tester pots. Lovely house by the way :)
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks mrsmcee. How are you? You're right re a couple of shades darker. I think I'm dithering because I keep thinking of what else I could do with the money :) Plus it's hard to find pics of colours on a large scale. I've seen the house in a couple of colours which I didn't like and definitely can't afford to get it wrong! Perhaps I need to try and get the dulux visualiser working again, I managed it initially so not sure why I can't now!

• Helen C
    7 years ago
    It was a real Hans wenger I sat in and this one from westelm. I was devastated in all honestly as I love them too. Anyway, good job mrsmcee has jumped in to get us back on track talking about paint colours. Can you go onto my thread mrsmcee, we've deviated to talking about dogs and Jude law on that one :)
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Campo, lmao (sorry that's a probably a bit crude for on here!). You never know, Carolina could magic the "real" Jude onto your sofa!

• Helen C
    7 years ago
    Now wouldn't that be a wonderful sight to behold :) can I have a double whammy with George Clarke too! Somehow that doesn't sound quite right when I read it back before posting, but I'm too tired to reword!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    Reminiscing of that day at the ideal home exhibition when George Clarke was on stage just feet away from us ...
    tee hee !!! Did I really just type that !! I'm soooo shallow !! Sorry !
    How's the paint options coming along - have you narrowed it down to a short list yet ?!
  • Helen C
    7 years ago
    Crickey I don't think I would have heard a word he'd said, I'd have just sat and stared, he's such a dish, lucky you Oneplan! Right exterior paint colours...
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Karen, I think you'll be making a certain lady rather jealous! I'm still waiting for Carolina to magic Campos double whammy onto her sofa!! I created a shopping basket of testers a few days ago and then accidentally closed the page down so need to revisit :( I am starting to think about going for stone colours that I love for the render rather than be totally true to the period, although still loving Portland stone...I will pick up quite a few anyway. We need to start a paint sharing service on houzz!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    Have you considered the new one in the F&B range ... can't think of the name .... urghhh ... asked husband and he can't remember it either ... we painted ours the colour ( otherwise he wouldn't have a clue on colours !) ....Worsted (thanks google !) we have it with white window frames and Purbeck sashes ... works on our old cottage and we've just got friends doing their old vicarage in that same combo too - so versatile !
    minnie101 thanked OnePlan
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol! I love worsted but have seen the house in a grey (although lighter) and it just looked really bleak. I think because it's more of a handsome house rather than pretty it might need something with some softness. Purbeck could work though!

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    I didn't want to upset you ladies, unlike OnePlan, but I too have been within touching distance of George Clarke. He's lovely. When I say 'touching distance', I'm exaggerating only slightly. Didn't hear a word he said ;-)
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    It might be a lot to ask to put both gentlemen on a certain sofa
  • Victoria
    7 years ago
    And me, I've seen him too. TWICE.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    Lol twice !!! Wasn't once enough ????
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol! My husband bumped into him at Liverpool Street station a couple of months ago but he didn't have quite the same reaction! George seems to get about a bit!

• minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

He goes well with your colour scheme campo :)

• Helen C
    7 years ago
    Oh bless him, all dressed in blue especially for me! Regretfully I've never met him but I think I might have to try and track him down! And purbeck stone is my all time favourite colour, definitely has to be tested out, I wonder what George would recommend, George if you're out there we'd love to know :)
  • charlie_bill
    7 years ago

what tone were you going for Minnie?

minnie101 thanked charlie_bill
  • mrsmcee74
    7 years ago
    Hi Minnie I'm good thanks. Sounds like we need to form a George Clarke fan club! I've stalked him on Twitter for years :)
    Minnie was in John Lewis earlier and had a gander at the Little Greene colour chip board and have to say Silt looked fabulous with the Purple Brown you like, it's looks fairly dark compared to other colours you've mentioned (and maybe a wildcard offering) but might work for exterior. Also had a little play with the Johnstones visualiser thingy on their website and very straightforward, I've never had any joy with the Dulux one.
    minnie101 thanked mrsmcee74
  • minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Charlie. Just a stone, from my limited research the historical ones seemed to have ochre or green undertones but I may well deviate from that:)

• minnie101
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh mrsmcee not you as well :) I agree they do go well together, it would be interesting to see it on an exterior, i might give that one a go! Thanks I'll have a look at johnstones, I didn't realise they had one tbh. I got dulux to work when they first launched it and have failed miserably since?!

• mrsmcee74
    7 years ago
    Everyone likes a bit of George, apart from my one friend who thinks he has mad eyes. No idea what she's on about!

Anyway, just wanted to say F&B Light Gray looks rather nice but obvs go with a colour match option rather than real McCoy.
    minnie101 thanked mrsmcee74
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.