anita_cullen1

Please help me with kitchen plan!

Anita
7 years ago
Would really appreciate advice!
current having remodelling to back of house which will include utility with walk in pantry, open plan kitchen leading to garden room.

New kitchen is approx 4.5 metres sq. and garden room is 5 m sq.
The garden room will have floor to ceiling glazing looking out onto a rural garden.

Not sure about island seating e.g would prefer seating to look towards garden, do you think this is possible?

Comments (40)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    I think there's more that could be done with this design - given the space available.
    Current points of worry are the proximity of hob next to a tall combustible unit - and also lack of 'put down ' space next to oven - and also the distance between the hob and Aga top and the sink ... think draining lots of pasta or heavy potatoes etc !
    Currently this is quite a trek with a heavy pot !!
  • PRO
    Solid Furniture Design
    7 years ago

Hi Anita,

Our team would love to help you with your bespoke kitchenprojects

we work with our clients to create a unique Kitchen that will not only look great, but tailor-made to fit the exact dimensions of the property (furniture from floor to celing and wall to wall).

Please contact us via the contact form on our website if you are interested in our service and someone from our team will contact you as soon as possible to discuss the project.

http://www.kitchenwardrobe.com

Regards,

A&S Kitchen Wardrobe team.

• Related Discussions

Please please please help with Kitchen planning

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello Shikta, Great to hear you're looking for something new and exciting! We have just launched a new range of kitchen taps, which you can find here: http://www.smartshowers.co.uk/The-Collectionss/Kitchen They are all Italian design and manufacture, so beautifully crafted and very innovative. Here are a few examples... Luce Single Control Kitchen Mixer and pull-out single jet with an opal-glass hemisphere bulb containing 36 LED light diodes. Zoom Single Control Kitchen Mixer with swivel body and spout. Pura Professional Innovative Filter Water Kitchen Mixer If you want more info on any of the above, do get in touch! Tel. 01793 822775 Email. admin@smartshowers.co.uk Best wishes, Maxine
    ...See More

Help me plan lighting in this kitchen!

Q

Comments (1)
    Styles I like...
    ...See More

New kitchen, help with planning from scratch please!

Q

Comments (10)
    Thank you Jonathan for your thoughts. We have worked with an architect to plan the house. The kitchen at the moment is an the first floor but it means we feel we live in a flat with little access to the garden. It is always an intention to spend time outside, especially meal times...it just never happens when everything has to be carried down to the outdoor. Interesting to have other perceptions. I will look closely at you living room layout suggestion though, hadn't thought of the layout you suggested. This would be more L shaped as the plan suggests. We can move doors, tv points and the fireplace could perhaps be evened up on the wall.
    ...See More

Help with open plan kitchen wall colour please as I’m struggling!

Q

Comments (25)
    I would have poo poo’d this idea before as I’d wonder what the point was, but make your self a mood board using the colours roughly in the same ratios. Are you planning on having some artwork as this may be the lynchpin that helps it hang all together. Pulling colours through from that will help the scheme. Tonal can be soft and soothing but needs layering up with texture to create a cohesive scheme. Alternatively pops of bright colour can look amazing and your kitchen is lovely and bright with good bones. What is the rest of your house like, and what is your style?
    ...See More
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi One Plan,
    I know what you mean about the trek to the sink, but we have a small utility sink planned for the island ~ I think you can just about see it on the plan.
    One of the difficulties is fitting everything in. We want an aga but also an additional oven and induction hob that we can use in the summer when it gets hot.
    I'm hoping we can use the island for much of the cooking prep.
    Really open to suggestions~ can you think of anything that would work better?
    Many thanks
    Anita
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    I could - as planning kitchens is what I do for a living !

I'm a bit different in that I don't sell product - so I won't make a profit on what you buy, like a showroom or other supplier offering a 'free design service' would.

You are, however, totally free to shop wherever you want with a OnePlan design and it allows you to compare like for like very easily, without arranging lots of site visits by different shops, do it has some advantages ! And also saves studios time - so can often get you a more competitive quote !

I charge for my designs... from £35 per hour or a fixed fee per project , dependent on the service you'd like .
    Have a look on my pro page for some examples and to read some reviews if you like ?

If you drop me an email via the contact me button I can send through more info to you directly from the office tomorrow.
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    It depends what's under the island I think.

You could move the seating to the end nearest the utility. 2 on the end and one either side. They would then be looking out. ...but they would be in the centre of the work space which may not be the best idea.

There are lots of options but it's hard without seeing the area properly. You could move the island to a section coming out from the side of the kitchen instead?

Maybe go to a few more kitchen designs or interior designers to get yourself a few options.

I hope it helps. Gina
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Gina,
    Thanks for your comments.
    To be honest I can't face seeing any more kitchen companies/designers. I've seen 4 already and what with liaising with builders and assorted tradespeople plus a full - time job, I'm close to exhaustion as it is!
    I'm not sure what you mean about what's under the island, can you explain please?
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    If you have units run down one side and open (for legs) the other side then it maybe tricky to move those items up to one end and the seating to an end rather than down the line.
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    I understand, it's very stressful managing everything together. It will all come together and you will be extremely happy with the results because you're taking the time now to get it right.

There are companies that can draw up options all online if you have scale drawing. I often do 3D images of kitchens like this to show people how it looks and give options on designs.

Good luck
  • tamp75
    7 years ago
    Hi Anita, it is a really stressful time when you're working on a project like this. We've spent the last 16 months on a full renovation / extension / loft conversion & it's hard going. You get to the point where you just feel like going with the quickest & easiest option but a kitchen is a big investment & worth taking a little more time on getting it right. Def worth getting hold of OnePlan to see if she can help.
  • PRO
    Kitchenpod - Temporary Kitchen Hire (Home use)
    7 years ago

Hi with regards to facing the garden I would say that you spacing from the side units to the island creating the walkways is quite big and it might be better at more like 1.2mm. This will mean you can have a wider island and therefore more seating at the end to face the garden.

• LTS
    7 years ago
    Another thumbs up for OnePlan...she has kindly given me lots of advice previously & is currently working on my kitchen/family/dining room!
  • PRO
    Broadway Bespoke Kitchens
    7 years ago

Good Luck with your project and although you are fed up with seeing designers if you need us just call.

• Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you kitchen pod, some advice relating to my original question!
  • tamp75
    7 years ago
    I think all the advice has related to your original question, eg yes it's possible but it might require rethinking your design to get the best possible layout.
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    No not really.
    I was already rethinking the design ~ hence why I posted the question in the first place!!
  • PRO
    Tulip
    7 years ago

Hi Anita,

From the pictures, it does seem that their is space on the left side of the island, that could be made wider... thus giving you options to move some of the seating to the bottom of the island. Perhaps some type of corner seating area would be an option; two plus two - easily done.

No harm in moving the sink once you've done that... you could couple this with a chopping block (or something similar) to make that a complete area to help balance the island.

Yes, you could change the entire design... but that's not to say what is above doesn't work, Anita.

I know how tiring it can be going through this process, Anita, but do take your time... If you've found a designer out of the 4, where you feel you can place your trust in, someone who is able to achieve what you originally set out for... then go back to them and ask them to come up with a plan that works. It's your kitchen, it has to be right for you. We'll often have 3 plans per room, so i'm sure they would have had at least one alternative option for you and the room.

If you have anymore questions, i'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Bené - SA Designs

• Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Bene ~ that seems very sensible and balanced advice.
    We have already put lots of thought into the kitchen and overall I am happy with it. It is just the island element and I would prefer 2+2 rather than the 'waiting at a bus stop look!'
    Yes I'm sure there could be many improvements, but they could cost ££££ and like most people, the budget is tight!

What I don't get about HOUZZ, is that some posters get lots of advice, with adapted plans, etc. I have predominantly had profs trying to sell me a service!!!
  • PRO
    Tulip
    7 years ago

So Anita, if you were to shift the island around so you could have the 2+2 seating that is desired... You would need to make it wider (obviously), I believe you need 700mm per person, so at the very minimum the new island design would be 1400mm. That said, from the drawings above you do have decent space all round so you could borrow even more - if you left 1.3m, that would allow plenty of walking space if all seats where in use.

Remember the seats on the left-hand side would need to be 400mm away from where the other two will now be seating, nobody likes sharing plates of food!

I'd then suggest making the island shorter, so it lines up with the units either side.

Hope that helps!

Bené - SA Designs

• PRO
    Nicola Scannell Design and Property
    7 years ago

I think you should have a pensinular at the end of your worktop run that has the sink on it. You can make the over hang so that people could sit both sides. If you want more ideas or me to draw it let me know.

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi Anita. I see i didn't put you off the aga then :) I think the kitchen is particularly tricky given the oven requirements hence the recommendations. What are the dimensions of the room as it doesn't seem quite right looking at the plan? Where is the entrance door to the kitchen? Is that the grey rectangle? If so, is there another door on the other side? Depending on which side the door is you may want to flip the aga as a focal point, I know you don't need a flue for an electric one but I think you may need external venting if that's a consideration? Personally I wouldn't have the hob or tall units next to the aga, I think it will detract from the look and there's a safety issue as pointed out. I also think stools at the end will really be in the way of working space. I think I'd just have a sink in the island with DW and bin so it's central to the working space.As the hob is only need for the summer (and presumably less hob cooking is required) I'd look at a 2 ring induction hob potentially on the island which can be covered when not in use. I'd be tempted just to have an L shape kitchen with a faux door through to the pantry and have the tall appliances on that wall. Personally I'd also lose the tall pantry as you have a walk in one. I've got a far smaller one and all my food is kept in there which isn't an issue for me although appreciate that's a personal opinion

• Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Revised kitchen plan!

So I went back to the kitchen company and we have made some changes...Please Houzzers tell me what you think now.
    Decided to ditch the idea of island seating facing the garden.
    Now have the aga central to the wall with put down space on either side.
    There will be an induction hob on the same run.
    The double sink is on the opposite wall under a window, so plan to have a small utility sink on the prepping side of the island.
    Many thanks.
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Revised kitchen plan!

So I went back to the kitchen company and we have made some changes...Please Houzzers tell me what you think now.
    The double sink is on the opposite wall under a window, so plan to have a small utility sink on the prepping side of the island.
    Many thanks.
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Revised kitchen plan!

Many thanks.
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Revised kitchen plan!

Many thanks.
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Revised kitchen plan!

Many thanks.
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Revised kitchen plan!

Many thanks.
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Revised kitchen plan!

Many thanks.
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Revised kitchen plan!

Many thanks.
  • boundsgreener
    7 years ago

Hi Anita. Am I insane or is the first drawing reversed?!

I think that minnie's idea was a good one - to use the back wall as a bank of tall cabinets. At the moment, you are effectively losing a wall with the ovens in the corner. That back wall can't really have anything on it and from the garden room/seating end of the island, it could look better. How about having the ovens on that back wall with tall units either side? When you take hot things out you can put them on the island or to the left on the counter near the aga.

And where is the fridge? Is it the integrated unit on the other side of the aga? If it is, for looks and flow, I would put it on the other back wall. It's closer to the sink, tall units at the end will have visual appeal, and if you have it where it is it'll be fine if you are in the kitchen and want to open it, but if you are sitting at the end of the island you have to walk around it to open it. If that isn't the fridge/freezer, ignore this bit!

Can I ask what is the area toward the garden room is going to be?

• Joanna C
    7 years ago
    How keen are you on bar stools? We're going to do a very similar project in our house - a similar sized kitchen leading to a similar sized garden room ;) we've decided not to have any bar stools to make the island work harder with extra storage and prep space. Instead, we're putting a table between the island and the garden room - we will be able to look out at the garden during a meal. Might that work for you?
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Bounds greener ~ you are not insane at all
    It should look like this!
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Boundsgreener, thank you for your comments.
    When you say the back wall, do you mean the wall with the utility door? Or the wall with the windows?

The fridge freezer is the integrated unit at the end of the aga wall, with the double oven at the other end.

The garden room will have floor to ceiling glass panels on two sides, with double doors to the garden on the west side. It will be a sitting area with sofa etc.
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks jprzym.
    We are planning to have island seating and a dining table at the end of the island, in the garden room.
    We quite like the idea of perching on the island, but as we've never had one before, it's all speculative!
    I think we'll be fine for storage ~ there's only two of us and a dog.
  • boundsgreener
    7 years ago

Hi. I mean the wall with the utility door. I see where you are going with the symmetry for the wall with the aga, but I would make that tall end unit a pantry or place for serving plates, etc. and have the integrated fridge where you currently have the wood upper cabinet.

I've been looking at your Ideabook and reading the aga discussion (I'm way behind minnie!) and I see what you are trying to achieve. But none of them have the same layout. When the feature aga corbel wall exists, it doesn't have an induction hob right next to it or it doesn't have a solid wall at the end (one of them is amazing with their deep cupboards either side but there is nowhere to put anything!).

Do you have roof lights over the kitchen? Unless you have a giant lantern skylight and lots of under-cabinet lighting planned, please don't have black countertops. Apart from the fact that none of the kitchens in your Ideabook have dark counters, I come from a place of experience. I used to have a massive, terribly planned, kitchen with lovely black granite counters. Not only could only one person work in it even though it was the size of a dance floor, but the lights had to be on all the time and it was really depressing.

And as there will be a dining table nearby to take in your beautiful garden, the island perches will be there to keep the cook(s) company, so facing in on the kitchen is perfect.

• Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ah yes....The thinking behind having the wall cabinet on the back wall is to use the area for making coffee, etc. My husband has a flash coffee machine and we also have a Bibo hot/cold water dispenser and I figured that would be a good drinks area, slightly out of the way of where we will cook, with cups etc in the wall cupboard....what do you think?

We are having a huge roof light over the island (more towards the utility door as this is potentially a dark spot) and there are 2 windows on the sink wall. Definitely no black granite! Will have as light as possible and oak on the island.
    Really appreciate your feedback~ finding this quite tricky!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    I actually dreamt of this kitchen last night !

At the very least - for safety - please consider a small drainer sink and wall fixed pot filler tap near the Aga - if you tap is wall mounted you can keep a chopping block over the small sink and you wouldn't know it was there until you needed it ... walking long distances with hot and heavy pans is a terrible idea !

One slip or trip and you live with the results for ever.
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks One Plan....really? I am having nightmares about it lol!

There will be a small sink in the island.....It is fairly close to the aga and induction hob.
    Do you anticipate a problem with this?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    If it's now in the island, that's so much better than before ! Just minimises your walk ! If your sink is other side of island, use a heat pad to put the pot down and then slide it to other side.
  • Anita
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, we always had a small sink in the island, (adjacent to aga), because the main sink is on the other wall and as you say, a bit of a trek with a hot pan!
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.