jcwons

Help desperately needed on livingroom layout - impossible room

House Bunny
7 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently trying to plan what to do with the livingroom and its just impossible.

The room has only one "free" wall.

I've attached a plan of the room.

Obviously all doors / stairs need to be accessible.

The next priority I have is making sure the garden is as visible as possible (ideally minimizing the amount of furniture that is put directly in front of the patio doors).
It would be nice if the balcony wasn't blocked by furniture (but it currently is).
It would also be nice if the study wasn't competely closed off.

The fireplace which is currently in place is going. I'm thinking of not replacing it with another fire but instead a TV stand like in the photo (where the TV is integrated into a much larger display unit). If anyone has any great suggestions in happy to go with that instead!!

The other issue we are currently experiencing with the placement of furniture is we end up a dead space between the study and livingroom furniture. Any ideas with what to do with this would be great. We have a study which has a desk etc. and I have plans for a bookcase and reading chair in it. In addition we have a little mezzanine floor which isn't tall enough to stand up on - but have decided to make this into a reading / listening to music snug.

We have a dining room and additional space in the kitchen that I'm going to make into an informal eating area and a "bar" area with a drinks cupboard. Which pretty much rules out anything I can think of to do with it.

The only idea I've come up with for the space is a baby grand piano, but my husband thinks one of us should really play the piano (even a little bit) if we have one!!

I don't have an issue with empty space generally, but it just looks odd at the moment.

If anyone has any ideas how they would layout the room, I'd be so grateful.

We will be buying new furniture. The only brief really is seating and a TV.

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.