leeza_beale

Need help with what to plant in front garden

Leeza Beale
7 years ago

Hi,

I'm relative new to gardening and have limited time to spend on it but do want to create something colourful without the garden looking to cluttered but don't want to spend a lot of time weeding either. Having stripped this garden back just leaving the well established he-be in place, in July I planted 2 fuchsia pink rhododendron's in the front bed, in the middle is a white hydrangea which could be taken out as it may not work well, as the slugs seem to have take to it. (Maybe I should consider a slim tree/conifer..?) My dad rendered the wall not so long back and due to him not matching the mortar to existing I want to cover the wall to hide it, so planted a couple of white climbing hydrangeas either side of the yellow type shrub whose name fails me, either side of the hydrangea are apple blossom shrubs which the garden centre advised would bush out over time. Do I have enough on this wall to cover it or will I need another climbing hydrangea to go on the left next to hebe? Last week I planted approx. 8 bulbs in a container and did 7 containers and sunk them in the ground of pink tulips / daffs in front of the other plants, well just off side.

Front aspect / Busy Main Road / Full Sun. Wall is 71 degrees East / Front bed is 156 degrees South East. We also have a high school 12 houses down from us on the same side, I used to find myself picking up cans from the front bed when there was an overgrown bush in the front bed, maybe the kids maybe more thoughtful now I'm making an effort, fingers crossed!

I would really welcome suggestions of what else I can put in before winter sets in and where, so I can begin to enjoy the front garden, without it being too overcrowded with not too much weeding and low maintenance shrubs.

Thanks in advance, L

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.