charlie_bill

Table & chairs dilemma

charlie_bill
7 years ago

Hi All, well my reno journey is coming to an end - until i start on the other rooms ;) I haven't quite finished it all so won't post and before and afters yet, but i will, i promise - along with my final thanks to everyone. In the meantime i don't know what to do with my dining set up. Now that we have a wood floor I'm feeling there's too much wood on wood. Any suggestions - the budget is decimated so buying a whole new dining set (unless something i like on finance is available) then looking for economical suggestions.

Comments (64)

• Carolina
    7 years ago

I think the chipboard looks fine if you have different chairs. I like the idea of black dining chairs, but would paint the bottom half of the stools that you're going to paint black, white. So bottom half of the legs white and the rest black.

charlie_bill thanked Carolina
  • Joanna C
    7 years ago
    Unless you go down a different route. Is your kitchen more of classic, hand painted one? You could then paint your chairs one of those funkier colours suggested above but also lose the chipboard and change the black ceiling lamp - it would become a classic, pretty kitchen.
  • Related Discussions

Dining chairs dilemma

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi, we sell a lot of oval dining tables and from experience curved back dining chairs work really well. We've got a few in our collection - see https://www.nuastyle.com/21-dining-chairs The most popular being the New York Chair which has a very slim metal frame, so would hopefully compliment the table base not fight with it.
    ...See More

Dining chairs - dilemma!

Q

Comments (19)
    I like your idea of the black chairs with cross hatched legs. It echoes up both the table legs and the table top. And it not only avoids trying to match the wood of the floor and table top, but breaks up all the wood. What about this version which comes in black leather with some interesting stitching across the seat area. I think the leather would suit your decor better than moulded plastic, and this particular chair is a sensible price. They have the cross hatching that echoes the table, and the leather and black got with the vintage + industrial vibe of the table.
    ...See More

Design dilemma - creative ideas to solve an extension dilemma! PLANS!

Q

Comments (11)
    Concerns about tree roots could be from the neighbours or due to a TPO. We’ve been through this recently and have designed our extension to avoid the entire tree protection area (based on an arboricultural report-a requirement for us even to apply for planning). Despite that we have planning conditions on storage of building supplies (not near any trees), not being able to change ground levels (eg around patio areas) and being required to dig manually, not use diggers for fear of damage to roots. An arboricultural consultant should be able to advise on where and how you can build in relation to the tree, and then you would need the Council to accept the consultant's opinion. I assume the vendors must have had an opinion to plot the protection area? Also my understanding is that TPO legislation overrides permitted development legislation. As we've several TPOs, we’ve got to know the local council tree officers, but it’s the best approach as there can be heavy fines if you get it wrong.
    ...See More

dilemma on chosing leather office chair or mesh office chair

Q

Comments (4)
    Choosing between a leather office chair and a mesh one can indeed be a tough call, especially with winter around the corner. Personally, I'd lean towards the leather option for the colder months. It adds a touch of warmth and coziness to your workspace while keeping you comfortable. If you're looking for recommendations, you might want to check out Elegant Furniture UK for some stylish options.
    ...See More
  • charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sorry pretty not me, plus i love my ceiling light. Carolins would i need to cut the rug to compliment the bench? I'm loving the two tone stool idea, plus thinking now about maybe painting the table and bench legs white to match the bottom of the stools or would that be too much?

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    I'd say that it would be too much, but you can always decide later. I would not cut the sheepskin. Just hang one or two over the bench for a nonchalant look, nice and soft to sit on. If you go for the sheepskin(s), I would definitely not paint the bench or table legs. I think ;-)
  • charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ok. thinking 2 sheepskins, hang back on any table/bench painting until our sideboard is in place, definitely find budget to change chairs and Paint bar stools. So i'm on the hunt for chairs and think they need to be black or white. Any ideas gratefully received!

• PRO
    A Splash of Colour
    7 years ago

Mixing a few accent coloured chairs into this will definitely lift this space. The back wall behind the table is also crying out for a big mirror to open the room or some bright prints.

• charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The pic at the bottom means I'm convinced & can see the sheepskin too! The wall is definitely going to have a print or such like on it. I wanted this one but the largest size was too small so it's going on another wall, so I'm still looking for something but not sure I want a mirror

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    Can't scroll through the pics in the link unfortunately. Do you think that the print will be too small? Framed it comes in 102 cm square. That's a good size. Would make a very dramatic impact on that wall.
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi Charlie. If you want different chairs I think I'd go for a mix rather than pairs. Have added a pic to see if you like it. I've been looking for black ones and failing miserably! The wishbone are just too dear. Do yòu like this chair paired with an eames (I think the wire legs ones tend to looks better with a repro?) and perhaps a tolix and something else that I'm yet to find for the price?!

http://www.cultfurniture.com/furniture-c10/chairs-c3/loretta-dining-chair-with-wood-seat-black-p4687

I also can't get the link to work but if you're going for black art then perhaps white chairs would be better? I agree that I don't think the table and bench need dip dyeing. I also think one sheepskin may be enough but try it

• charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is the pic that you couldn't link to, it looks similar to my table, just better cared for ;)

I love the mismatched look Minnie, i just can't decide between white or black and i keep going round in circles. Love this black odd one out but it confuses me as the floor isn't wood so looks clean.

The Mound print is already here and going on the other wall in the lounge that you can't see - it fits perfectly between the two downlighter there.

No other art chosen yet but i was thinking maybe smaller pieces (i'd like something quirky like a Maria Rivans or Maria Mcccallum like on my Pinterest prints page) on a floating shelf (same colour as wall) above the IKEA Besta unit (which is in the process of being put together). I can go for black and white or just prints in a white frame - I'm easy.

So it's back again to the chairs and also whether i need a rug under the table? aarrrgggh - i love it and get frustrated at the same time as i like so many different things!

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    Minnie read my mind, or I've read Minnie's mind, because I was thinking exactly the same thing about adding white chairs instead of black, if you go for the dramatic black print. And I have been looking for a pic to show you different white chairs at the same table, but then life got in the way and I hadn't found one yet :-) So yeah, what she said.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    I wonder if you like this one and if it's comfortable? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3959615.htm
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Looks good in the pic, but I think that chairs always need a bum-test. For example, I really like the Phillip Starck Kartell ones in Minnie's pic, but I find them very uncomfortable to sit on.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Here's a pic
  • charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

wow carolins you've been busy, thanks! I was sitting here visualising the white chairs before I saw your post so I think we all think the same! I was also on eBay and saw the Habitat Verne chair, which I do like. I'm pretty sure I want mismatched.

So far I like:

Eames repro dining x 1

Wishbone repro x 1

both above definite then 2 more from the choice below:-

Eames repro armchair x 1

Eames Vitra wire repro x 1

Habitat Verne x 1 (like you suggested)

Habitat Hesta x 1

John Lewis, House Suzy x 1

Tolix repro x 1

I think I am swaying towards Eames armchair and John Lewis Suzy

I'm really worried about buying without the bum test but assuming the Eames and wishbone repros will be fine given their popularity.

For the print, I also found this on someone else's Pinterest and as I'm a bit of a map geek thought it a lovely idea at it's black & white too! what do you think? Not sure if I could make it work in any other room. But if you come across any funky/eclectic/unusual black and white prints feel free to post them ;)

Minnie and carolins - you seem to get my taste so...... in your honest opinion is the chipboard too much? Should I cover it or even paint it white or black? The intention was to put something over it eventually, I was toying with bronze sheet or white herringbone tiles but decided I liked the chipboard. Someone said it looked like wannabe industrial which is probably right as I like both country, boho, industrial (plus a million other styles!) Is it too much - honestly? Thanks

• minnie101
    7 years ago

It's quite hard to choose, they're all good chairs! I have tolix which contrary to appearance I think are comfy and my mum has eames which I also find comfy. The eames wire is one of my favourites. What legs will you go for on the other eames? I'm quite liking the Hester. I like the map and I think it's a good size. When I first saw the chipboard I thought it was unfinished however I do like the appearance with the texture. I would get the chairs and stools changed and revisit. I would also hold off on a rug for now. You have the light over the dining table and will have art to zone that area and the sheepskin will bring some texture. Although rugs look good under dining tables I personally wouldn't have one although maybe I have a messy family! I don't know why I've only just got email notifications of yours and Carolins comments btw!

• charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Minnie. I've been looking for rugs and just cannot find one in the size, colour & patter I "think" will work so had started to rule one out - so good plan about waiting.

Thanks for your comments on the chipboard, it's the texture that I like too which is why I've held onto it.

So chair shopping later - so excited, even if it is only online! Do you have a real tolix or a repro?

• headers13
    7 years ago

I love the wishbone repro on your list - now you've set me off as I need new dining chairs. These are nice from Wayfair too & cheaper.

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/Lorient-Accent-Side-Chair-EUH8511-SET2-QQ7289.html

• headers13
    7 years ago

Sorry they are not cheaper but nice.

• Carolina
    7 years ago

Honest opinion about the chipboard: I like it.

Love the map! Would need to see the rest of the room to be able to visualise how it would look on the wall.

• headers13
    7 years ago

Charlie - I think that map is too old fashioned for your look (I stayed at a hotel recently which had that on the walls & it's nice but not for yours). I think a big print on that blank space would work well though.

• minnie101
    7 years ago

I think it's a good idea to wait, the chairs will completely change the look. It is exciting, even online! Mine are repro

• charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks for the link headers, nice but not what I'm looking for. Yay to another vote for the chipboard! thanks, I'll stop fretting about it for the time being. I'll hang back on the print too for now - wait till you see the others I like - a little eccentric!

Carolins - fab photoshopping! You are a gem. So just wondering can I get away with being totally cheeky and asking what Hester, Eames dining (not arm) with wooden legs (both of which I've now ordered in a chair frenzy) plus tolix and Eames wire would look like together!

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    Noooo, please get rid of the chipboard. Spoils the whole finish. Should be a hidden item not a display one.
  • charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry Daisy, keeping it for a while. If once I've got all the new chairs etc it doesn't fit in I'll consider a change - I'd like a huge antique/champagne bronze panel to match my tap but can't quite afford that!

• charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

oh & Minnie - the repro wishbone chairs were down to £69 instead of £139 - not sure if you were still searching for a cheaper option? I couldn't find that price from my laptop but I could from my phone - no idea why!

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    I'll do some photoshopping later :-)
  • Carolina
    7 years ago

What do you think?

• charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh Carolina you are an absolute angel. Not sure about the wire eames - what do you think?

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    I do like it
  • uk1982
    7 years ago
    ooh I'd vote Tolix or Eames with wooden legs. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them though it's a gorgeous table I can't wait to see it finished!
  • charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ok so her is the finished result. Thanks for all your help - one side of the romo is now finished! Sorry about the photo quality, the light is not good here today.

And in addition to blitzing the front lounge i also need to think about the sitting area of our family room.

I need new sofas and i keep going around in circles. Have decided we like this sofa.com piece in terms of style & comfort (needs to be low back to optimise views but be good for lazing too) - though recommendations for anything similar and easier on the pocket would be welcomed! My problem is that i can't decide on colour. Aarrrggggg! I keep being drawn to deep green due to the fact all the windows look out onto the garden with one looking straight to a rhodedendrum bush but it scare me a little as it is so bold. Would love to know your thoughts please, especially as Sofa.com has a 10% sale until Monday!

• minnie101
    7 years ago

I think the chairs look great. I'd just pull them out slightly so you can see them more. Are you pleased with them and are they comfy?! I love the sofa, I have a green obsession! Is that the izzy in the emerald velvet ? (Ouch!). If you do go for green I might just add a couple of accessories in the same colour. I will have a proper look later but I know of these sofas in green but they're not corner ones and no idea re comfort.. The one pictured is from made and they also do it in a petrol but I wouldn't call it petrol!

https://www.swooneditions.com/tivoli-made-to-order-mid-century-left-corner-sofa?utm_medium=sem&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=adwords+shopping&utm_term=tivolileftcornervelvetemeraldbirch&;escaped_fragment=10291#!10291

• charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i love the dining chairs minnie - they are all really comfortable tough the tollin is a little cold on the bum so will need some sort of seat pad - probably a sheepskin offcut! Yep - it's Izzy but in the chenille not the green velvet - my daughter is a nightmare with greasy hands and the velvet would be destroyed. There's a lovely green cotton one but the pattern is too much for me. I'm not sure that i like the two separate sofas style which is why i was thinking corner, do you think i should re-consider?

• Victoria
    7 years ago
    I love the sofa. I have ocean velvet sofas from sofa.com and they are gorgeous.
  • Victoria
    7 years ago
    The Izzy is very comfy, I think it will work really well in your space. I love what you've done so far, and am even a fan of the chipboard!
    charlie_bill thanked Victoria
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Love the green Izzy
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    And the dining area too :-)
  • Angie
    7 years ago
    We've just had a sofa.com sofa delivered on Friday. I wouldn't worry too much about the 10% discount as I've observed they often have these offers so there'll more than likely be another along before too long.
    If you can get along to one of their showrooms it is well worth it. We went to the Bath shop with one particular sofa in mind, which we'd found on Houzz in fact. We loved it, but after 90 minutes in the shop we bought a completely different one! They have large swatches in the shop so you can get a good idea how the fabric will work on the piece you fancy.
    Angie
    charlie_bill thanked Angie
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

I'm glad they're comfy! It's a shame the tolix is cold, I've got them in my basement which is cold anyway hence why I probably don't notice! You may find cheaper but I know Nordic House do fur seat pads. No I wouldn't reconsider a corner sofa. I was just trying to look for cheaper options for you which a normal sofa would have been. I've had a proper look for corner sofas now but all the emerald ones I've found are in velvet :( I would definitely get the sofa stainguarded in case of any mishaps with your daughter! I tried looking to see if sofa.com had a Black Friday deal on last year with potentially a bigger discount but they don't appear to have done

charlie_bill thanked minnie101
  • Victoria
    7 years ago
    They do some deals in January. When we bought ours we had Designers' Guild velvet for the price of house fabric. Saved a lot! Definitely worth going to a store if you can. We bought completely different sofas from the ones we planned on buying!
    charlie_bill thanked Victoria
  • charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks Minnie - I love the nodic house Icelandic seat pads but they are almost as much as the chair! I'll wait and see if they do a sale, especially as we are a little allergic to sheepskin! Making note of the January sale Victoria, never seen anything more than 10% off so will keep my eyes peeled. If I went for neutral and a green velvet Valentin footstool which neutral do you think I should go for? I know I'm being a chicken!

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Lol! They're not cheap but I was pushing it with the sofa price :)

• Victoria
    7 years ago
    The deal was not obvious on their website, but they told us about it in store.
  • charlie_bill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

so we had a relatively successful trip shopping but am none the wiser - other than i have a fab £22 sheepskin seat rug which is keeping me nice and warm ;) We have now tried and enjoyed the IKEA Norsborg corner sofa. It is very comfortable, i like the look of it but am not over the moon with the colour choices. It is soooooo much cheaper than the Izzy in even their basic fabric but of course the moot point is how long will it last? Does anyone have or know of the Norsborg?

Also Cult Furniture has a 75% sale started today if anyone looking for tables or chairs.

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    There are companies that make covers for IKEA furniture. Bemz and Comfort Works to name a couple. Fabrics to choose from galore!
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Maybe worth investigating, although it might be not that much cheaper in the end. Still... good option?
  • Raz Le
    6 years ago

Id vote for Eames or similar with wood legs. i have noticed a lot of sites doing eames chairs now with a wider range of legs styles, seems to have exploded. i think they add a something to a traditional oak table

We saw these at lakeland furniture which look really cool.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.