bryony_few

Extension/house "remodel" advice needed please!

Bryony Few
7 years ago

Hello,

I am looking for some advice/ideas on the best way to turn our house into a proper family home! There are two issues that we are predominately looking to solve...

1) No upstairs bathroom - we currently have a very small toilet and shower room off the kitchen (see plan below). We would like to create an upstairs family bathroom.

Possible solution - there is an area of wasted space at the back of the house we could build a two story extension in to extend the kitchen into a kitchen/diner and move the bathroom upstairs.

2) Very small entrance hallway - currently the front door enters into a narrow hallway where there is no room to hand coats/put shoes or store a pram.

Possible solution - build a porch extension (with a downstairs w/c and possibly a shower). We also had the idea of moving the front door to open into the dining room (as this would no longer be needed) and turning this into an entrance hall/study/playroom.

What are your thoughts on these ideas? Does anyone have any better ideas or thoughts on how we could better utilise space? What are your thoughts on losing a formal dining room and entering into a room rather than a hallway?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

Front of house:

Rear wasted space:

Floor plan:

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.