kara_tedford13

Thoughts please:Blinds for these windows and doors?

Dub M
7 years ago
Hi all those of you with open plan extensions,lots of glass,French doors,bifolds,sliders.....basically any type of open glass at all, how have you dressed the windows for privacy and cosiness? We are slightly overlooked from behind so need something to provide some privacy by day without blocking what will soon be a lovely garden view. At night I want to feel secure and be able to close all the blinds.

Company I'm going with have suggested either vertical blinds or a sheer roller panel which can see through by day but opaque enough for night but I'm not convinced it'll be private enough when lights are on in winter.
Love any suggestions thanks a mil!

Comments (61)

• baskey1980
    7 years ago
    We have these from Thomas Sanderson, can be pushed to bottom or top so you hardly see them and can also be put midway, hopefully photo makes sense and shows options
  • PRO
    Dub M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Paul I'm having wood Venetian blinds across front of house in a stone colour so wanted something different across the back plus we are much more exposed at front so I wanted venetians to break the openness, not nearly as open at the back. Love the Sanderson blinds actually
  • Related Discussions

doors and windows - doubting my decision

Q

Comments (4)
    If you can see the back door on the same wall as the bi-folds then i'd paint that the anthracite to match the doors and also the frame. Otherwise you'll have white windows, a black door and anthracite doors too, all on one facade. On the front it won't matter, and you have done the right thing and ordered a black frame for the door. I'm sure it will look great!
    ...See More

Combining UPVC sash windows with timber French doors?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi, have you considered a timber alternative windows and doors, which look like timber, but are infact foil wrapped upvc, therefore cheaper? I would consider Bygone sash windows (timber alternative) and Evolution windows for your timber alternative french doors.
    ...See More

Door and window colours

Q

Comments (4)
    I also like that colour door. I presume your windows are softwood if you want to paint them otherwise if they are hardwood just apply a finish such as SX70. That’s what’s on mine. Easy to maintain without painting them. I have a decorator out once every other year and a freshening up is all that’s required.
    ...See More

Feedback on mock up of front windows/door please

Q

Comments (11)
    Daisy, that’s interesting about swapping the panes around upstairs. I always thought it was better the way they are now so any reason for that or just personal preference? Next door is the other way around. But talking of next door Minnie, it has not been updated in decades and so I’d like to not diverge too much but at the same time take the lead in updating IYKWIM. When I finished the later mock up with the existing style of windows I did think it looked nice. Maybe the porch and planting improves the overall look along with a fair bit of doodling photoshop!
    ...See More
  • jacksplash
    7 years ago

I think roller blinds could be a good option for you..i find that they give you privacy when needed,but when pulled up they will nearly disappear,and will not interfere with letting the light in.

• PRO
    Dub M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I think you may be right, for some reason I was looking for something other than rollers but they probably are the simplest and most cost effective solution for us. We can have them a third down by day for some cover and then fully up when needed and down by night
  • Trish
    7 years ago
    We have had same problem deciding what to put up, iv eventually gone with vertical because I didn't want view completely blocked out! With verticals you have different options with privacy.
  • PRO
    Dub M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Trish would you mind posting a photo?i can't find many images online of verticals in action. What material are yours like a linen?my husband thinks they're too office like so it's a hard sell! Here's a wider view of space we are filling
  • Helen C
    7 years ago
    Hi dub M, I think you posted re my windows and I forgot to reply... sorry. Anyway I have the same issue and have considered electric rollerblinds or the pleated blinds like the Sanderson ones. I have the bottom up top down blinds in the rest of the house and they are lovely. You can get them in different transparencies (take a look at luxaflex website). Not so keen on vertical blinds, they do look a bit office like and cold to me plus I think they are a hazard for children and pets (if you have any?!). Lovely room btw.
  • Bri Sullivan
    7 years ago
    I will post when they are up I'm having them fitted Tuesday , I've gone for sealed pockets at the bottom so you haven't got that chain . I have graphite doors like yours and have got them in grey , will post pics when they are up .
  • PRO
    Dub M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks campo for your thoughts, I've two little tots so have visions of sticky hands on vertical blinds but I also like idea that there is a degree of control with how open they are, the rollers are all or nothing really aren't they.
    What did you decide in the end for yours?
  • Bri Sullivan
    7 years ago
    Dub M post above is from Trish I was on someone else's Houzz !!
  • Helen C
    7 years ago
    You could go for the day and night rollers. They just look more contemporary to me. Tots and verticals just sounds like potential for crumpled broken vertical blinds after a year or two! Found this image online of dual rollers but it's an Australian website. Very sleek looking though and gives you the option of filtered light or blackout. I still don't have blinds up in my kitchen, we aren't actually overlooked apart from through one small corner of the garden in the winter. I'll be rectifying that this winter with a bamboo screen. My blind quote for electric rollers was £5k so I need to be certain before I commit. Have you had any quotes?
  • Carol Williamson
    7 years ago
    Try true fit blinds. They look wonderful and can be easily pushed up and down as they sit in a small neat frame.
  • Lucy Mackie
    7 years ago
    Hi I'm having an extension starting next month so the blind suggestions have come in handy for me too!
    Would you mind telling me who supplied your doors?
  • Carol Williamson
    7 years ago
    Here are the true fit blinds....mine were supplied by a company in Sunderland in the North called SECOND TO NONE BLINDS but most Venetian blind suppliers do them.
  • Carol Williamson
    7 years ago
    No idea of the doors though as were insitu when I moved in. Good Luck
  • PRO
    Hillarys
    7 years ago

Hi,

A bit of a follow up to my first suggestions. A few people have suggested blinds in a frame. These are a solution we call Perfect Fit blinds which are very lovely, but I didn't suggest in the first instance as they're made for uPVC window frames only and your windows didn't look to be. Are your windows aluminium? If so, they unfortunately won't be compatible.

Hope that helps,

Zoe

• Trish
    7 years ago
    Hi Dub M iv got mine up now and very happy with them they do exactly as I wanted . I will put curtains as well in lounge.
  • Ryan Everitt
    7 years ago
    I would go for Window Shutters, try Clement Browne. They're really competitive on prices and are suppliers to John Lewis so you know you'll get quality! Mine look great!
  • shari39
    7 years ago
    I have been researching blinds for bi fold doors and saw some rollers blinds that have a pelmet at the front. They look sleeker when pulled fully up during the day as the blind sits behind the pelmet.
  • shari39
    7 years ago
    Pic below
  • LTS
    7 years ago
    Do you have a photo of your Ryan?
  • PRO
    Dub M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks shari I like the look of pelmet too although they are more bulky than fitting the simple roller inside the frame. I suppose I don't want to make a statement with blinds,don't want them to be really noticed just there to give us a choice for when we want it to feel more cosy. This open plan living with lots of glass front and back of the house is a new experience for me and feeling a bit like a goldfish in a glass bowl so need to cosy it up at bit.

For whoever asked I'm in dublin so our glazing is from Munster joinery, our windows are actually a "Future proof" uPVC, they were €€€ but very efficient for heat retention and noise so hopefully it pays off. I love them actually! Spent so long debating on bifolds vs sliders vs French doors but figured we would have limited opportunity to open up bifolds and the opening with sliders isn't actually as big as I'd imagined so the French doors gave the best compromise.
    Thanks all for input I'll keep you posted!
  • Rona Gray
    7 years ago
    Roller blinds work for me - with pelmets or without or lighweight curtains as alternative
  • Rona Gray
    7 years ago
    Tuck away neatly when not needed
  • PRO
    Appeal Home Shading
    7 years ago

For large windows and
    French doors, a pleated or roller fabric blind would work brilliantly. If
    you’re after a streamlined and subtle appearance, you could go for roller
    blinds, available in a whole variety of different colours and patterns to suit
    your taste.

If you like something a
    little more stylised, pleated blinds add a classic and timeless appearance to
    any room. Whichever you choose, both options are available from Appeal Home
    Shading with a backing for added privacy.

For convenience, child-safety
    and a modern touch, our ULTRA Smart blinds can be operated with a remote
    control, and set to open and close at a certain time or at a certain light. For more information
    you can visit our website: http://www.appealshading.com/window-blinds/ 

Hope this helps!

Appeal Home Shading

• PRO
    Conbu Interior Design
    7 years ago

I personally don't like vertical blinds in homes as too office like.

Roller blinds with a pelmet or a laminated blind using a gorgeous fabric would look great. Motorisation is much more popular, more reasonably priced these days and battery operation doesn't require additional wiring. A beautiful voile on a motorised track will work also.

Good luck, Angela www.conbudesign.com

• Katie Wilkinson
    7 years ago
    @Basky1980 hope you don't mind me asking, but do your blinds run up and down on visible string held in tension in front of the window? I'm worried my toddler will rip them down. Really want top up/bottom down blinds for our bifolds and you're the only real person I've seen to own them!
  • Katie Wilkinson
    7 years ago
    @Baskey1980 hope you don't mind me asking, but do your blinds run up and down on visible string held in tension in front of the window? I'm worried my toddler will rip them down. Really want top up/bottom down blinds for our bifolds and you're the only real person I've seen to own them!
  • rabinakhanam
    7 years ago
    built in blinds .. Look amazing and you never have to dust the...
  • PRO
    HBD Systems
    7 years ago

Electric Roller Blinds could be a good idea? You can get them in individual panels as we have in our showroom or in larger panels, also the top casing can match the frame colour or the walls. Origin global have quite a few options available which look great!

Kind Regards

Hannah

• PRO
    HomebyHomer Interiors
    7 years ago
    Hi there
    Have you considered a wave curtain ?
    With such a large expanse it seems a pity not to dress and get the wow factor ! See examples attached
    They can be made allowing for minimum stack back so that they not impede on your lovely views
    You can also get electric tracks nowadays as well
    Have a Look at forest drapery products
  • PRO
    Equilibrando... Space Planning with Feng Shui
    7 years ago

Hi dub M, I think curtains would work well in your space. It seems like you will be changing your garden. Would you consider installing some kind of additional fence that will secure more your privacy in your garden and your house? / Marcin

• ianthy
    7 years ago

We have the same issue and decided not too add curtains or blinds as we prefer the clean look and full visibility of the garden - during the day and evening. We have planted some bamboo at the rear of the garden. To be honest, I am not worried if the houses behind can see us sitting at the dining table.

• PRO
    Inkmill Vinyl
    7 years ago

If you want to explore the option of frosted window film, this blog has some ideas. As well as readymade patterns we also create bespoke designs from your own artwork.

5 Frosted Window Film Decorating Ideas

Decorating windows - easy to apply and remove solution for privacy & pattern · More Info

Decorating windows - easy to apply and remove solution for privacy & pattern · More Info

• PRO
    The Blind Shop
    7 years ago

Hi, we regularly fit sunscreen roller blinds to windows/doors in situations like yours. If you are concerned about being seen at night, then you could have double roller blinds, where you have blackout roller blinds too.

Sunscreen Roller Blinds | The Blind Shop | Made to measure from £90 · More Info
    double roller blinds - blackout blinds with sheer blinds behind.

• Holly Prewett
    6 years ago
    following
  • mml235
    6 years ago

What did you decide on in the end, would love to see an up to date pic!

• Christine Griffin
    6 years ago
    Have you tried integral Venetian blinds-they are maintenance free !!
  • Susie Campbell
    6 years ago
    I am interested in this conversation as having a large patio door of 5.5 metres (4 movable panes) on my new extension. I am just researching window coverings now. I am not concerned with privacy but as south facing want something to shade the tv etc. I don’t have the money for more roses. I have children. I am considering roller blinds or verticals and as I am at build stage I can arrange recesses at the sides or top to “hide”. If I go for rollerblinds I think I will need about 4. But how would I reach to pull them down? I think 4 pulley systems will look unsightly. So I am opting towards verticals even though I would like rollers. If anyone has ideas or photos I am very interested. I have enjoyed the other ideas so far. Thanks S
  • Christine Griffin
    6 years ago
    Our bifold doors are in our kitchen which is south facing. We concluded that because it was for the kitchen the main factor was as they were integrated within the double glazed units they would not attract any grease/dust and of course still look lovely.
  • Jacqueline Mack
    6 years ago
    I have 3 x2M electric rollers, across 6m opening with 3 sliding patio doors, run on battery and sit up in colour matched casing, in anthracite, blinds very pale grey, will try and post photo.
  • Helen C
    6 years ago
    They are lovely Jacqueline may I ask where you got them/approx cost (if that’s not too cheeky!)
  • PRO
    HBD Systems
    6 years ago

Campo73, we do these blinds, if you have sizes I can give you a cost for them no problem!

Hannah

• PRO
    The Blind Shop
    6 years ago

Susie Campbell, in response to your comments, if you don't want chains hanging down, you could install electric roller blinds which you can raise and lower with a remote control. Feel free to browse our bifold door gallery page for more images of roller blinds on bifold doors.

• Jacqueline Mack
    6 years ago
    Hi, we got from local company in Verwood, Dorset, called Blindwise, and they were great. I think they are louvolite brand and I am sure you will have suppliers local to you. They operate with remote control.
  • Jacqueline Mack
    6 years ago
    Hi, cost around £400 per blind I think. We got from Blindwise in Verwood, Dorset who were great but they are Louvolite make and I am sure you would have supplier local to you. They operate with a remote. We got ours mainly for sun but didn't want to block light and you can also see through ours when down but you can't see in from the outside in daylight, not sure about in evening with lights on, haven't looked!
  • Jacqueline Mack
    6 years ago
    John Lewis do something similar too and I think costs were comparable but you need to measure and fit yourself!! Or they can do fit you fir extra charge. Would let you see them operating if you have a John Lewis near you.
  • Helen C
    6 years ago
    Thank you Jacqueline that’s really helpful, have found a local supplier already. They seem very well priced for electric blinds. I also need for blocking out the sun so these seem perfect. Thank you for your help.
  • Helen C
    6 years ago
    No John Lewis near me unless I swim across the Irish Sea! Desperately want them to open a store here, particularly one with a massive home department like Oxford Street!
  • PRO
    YES Glazing Solutions
    5 years ago

We get asked this question a lot, and that is why we sell integrated or integral blinds which are totally enclosed within the glass cavity of the double glazed unit, and are available for most of the doors and windows we sell.

They can be manually or electrically operated, are available in a range of colours, and have Venetian or pleated versions. They can be closed for complete privacy, opened to any angle for different shading or raised up almost completely out of the way.

Aside from enclosing all the working parts (safe for toddlers), they enhance the thermal efficiency of the unit they are enclosed within and will never need cleaning!

You can upgrade existing doors and windows, although if you are purchasing new, ask your supplier about Uni-blinds Integral Blinds beforehand.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.