woodman456

Design of utility area

woodman456
7 years ago

Hi there,

This seems like a very helpful forum.

I wondered if anyone could share any thoughts on an area I want to improve in my house. We have a basement area which is partly used for storing coats and hats, some food and drink plus laundry. I want to use the space more effectively as the laundry/ironing bit spills out into the whole of the basement.

I have attached some photos as well as the estate agent plan:

• the first photo shows the area I have cleared where ideally I would like wet washing to be drying. To date, it has been hanging on clothes racks which get spread throughout the basement area but I would ideally like to contain to this area. I am thinking maybe an electric heated drying rack plus a pole which goes horizontally across the left wall for hanging shirts to dry and maybe sheets.Any recommendations about these? In winter, thicker items end up getting dried on radiators upstairs which I want to avoid. You will see that we have a washing machine in this space (it is actually a combined washing machine and dryer but I don't find the dryer works very well) and an extra freezer above. I could consider putting a stand alone tumble dryer where the freezer is but the freezer is quite useful. We have quite a lot of washing as we have 2 little children. Do I need to do anything about paintwork at end? I guess it's because the basement is a bit damp.
  • the second photo shows the other end of this space where there is food/shoe storage. Any thoughts on improving this? maybe in-built shelves?
  • I was thinking the ironing could be done in the space shown in the third photo and maybe the ironing board could be hung on a hook in the area shown in photo 1, with the iron stored on a shelf somewhere?
  • The 4th photo shows the coat/shoe area at the bottom of the steps which lead down to the basement area. Any thoughts on how to smarten/improve this area?

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.