johnleh

Please help with colours for my brother's bedroom

johnleh
7 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm redecorating my younger brother's bedroom and would appreciate some colour advice. It's a squarish, conventional room in a 50s flat, north facing so pretty gloomy. I want to give it a light, relaxing feel with the grown up vibe bruv craves.

I've made these provisional decisions so far:

- Feature "bedstead" wall (bottom wall on plan) in Next's Fig paint. Bruv likes purple hues, and this paint. The hue will contrast with white walls while not being too dark.

- A light to mid-grey short pile hardwearing carpet.

- A warm white for the remaining three walls. Dulux have plenty of these so hard to choose which complements purple/grey; don't want to stretch to the F&B range.

- A brighter white for the ceiling and wood glosswork.

Well, it's a start. But I am agonising over these issues and would appreciate advice:

Curtains: purple eyelets to complement the Fig wall. Or should that be the other way around?!? Or darker grey curtains to pick up the carpet? Gah! Black, chrome pole?

Furniture colour: I like greys with purple but grey bedroom furniture might look too sober. Bright white furniture could look nice and bright against the mellow white walls, or oak would give warmth and seems to work well with purple. But which to choose?

Fixtures and fittings: do I pick up on the fig/purple for things like pendant, duvet, lamps or introduce more grey to go with the carpet? Worried about overdoing the purple.

Just to confuse matters, I have seen cream accents talked of as complementing purples well, but I've discounted this. Don't ask me why though.

I'd really like to get this right for bruv as he learns to live independently. He's left these choices to me and is very supportive, so I'm not suppressing his whims I hasten to add. He likes the idea of "luxury' so the purple, grey, white start seems on the right track.

I've attached pics of floor plan, Fig paint (in-store wall and can), possible curtain colour, plus bruv doing his finest James Bond impression. Blofeld would have no chance.

Any pointers greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. Johnny

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.