rona_webster94

Design for a north facing garden

Rona Gray
7 years ago

Hi, I am trying to come up with ideas for plants and bulbs, with not too many shrubs, which flower at different times but throughout as much of the year as possible; small veggie patches would be good too. The back garden forms part of a new property and for the first few months I plan to leave it in grass to establish which parts of it get sun at various times of the day/seasons. Maybe I leave it for a year? There's normally snow and temperatures can get as low as -25 degrees in winter; summer can be as warm as +25 degrees but not very often. It's approximately 400 metres above sea level and can suffer from strong winds from surrounding mountains. I love the idea of restricting colours to a small number e.g. blue and white with leaves of contrasting shapes and textures.

At the moment my biggest stumbling block is how to add shape and character on a very small budget. Ideas very gratefully received :)

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.