wishmynamewasbarbarabroccoli

Need help adding personality to my dark, beige kitchen!

We have recently moved into a new house and have been doing up our kitchen on a budget!

It's north facing with a small window onto the garden. We replaced the old oak-effect kitchen doors with handleless cream gloss ones (yes there is one on the way for the front of the integrated dishwasher!) and we have painted the walls white. The tiles are black and beige, and the worktop is black quartz. The floor is walnut-effect Karndean, we laid this over the whole ground floor, and it's great, so easy to clean and doesn't show too many bits!

I don't hate my kitchen, but I don't love it! I love cooking and we do a lot of entertaining, so a lot of my time is spent in here and I want some ideas to inject some personality into my kitchen. :)

We are going to put some extra units up on the back wall (with the kitchen table), probably to match the rest of the kitchen units? There is a radiator on this wall so we'll probably put some worktop below the units and make it into a breakfast bar with a couple of bar stools. We don't know where the previous owners got the black quartz worktop from, so rather than try to match it we'll probably go for a contrast worktop here.

We're also going to improve the lighting in here, and get some LED under-cupboard lighting installed. It's a dark room and I don't think there's any point in fighting against it, but decent lighting will definitely help.

I wondered about putting some statement wallpaper up on the window wall, so that it doesn't block the light, but makes a big statement as you walk in. I love the Leopardo wallpaper by Matthew Williamson for Cole & Son, it has hints of metallic gold and cream and a deep, warm royal blue, and I'd only need one roll to do that whole wall cos it's not cheap. And I'd bring in hints of royal blue and gold elsewhere throughout the room.

I'd love to hear your suggestions though! Thanks in advance x

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.