woodfloors4u

Dilemma Help: What Is The Best Wood Flooring For Kitchens?

Woodfloors4u
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Open Plan Kitchen Wide Ocean Drift Flooring - Residential Client - Woodfloors4u · More Info

Many people shy away from installing a wood floor in their kitchen, which is a shame because wood lends itself perfectly to the room that is often the very heart of the home. Wood flooring is warm, natural and looks beautiful in both modern and traditional kitchens. If you have your heart set on wood flooring in the kitchen, but your head is telling you no, we’d like to dispel a few myths and show you just how versatile wood flooring can be.

The first myth is that wood certainly can be used in the kitchen, and the bathroom too. Generally, we advise our customers to avoid a lacquered finish wood floor areas where liquid spills are more likely. Spillages could cause your floor to become slippery, and with some unsealed flooring, could cause water damage.

Choosing The Right Wood For Your Kitchen

Wood is a natural product, and because of this it can contract and expand as temperature or moisture levels rise. This isn’t usually an issue in small doses, but in the kitchen, where steam and heat are most likely, this could be a problem. For this reason, we would not recommend solid flooring for your kitchen, and would instead recommend that you choose an engineered wooden floor.

Engineered wood can still contract and expand, but not quite to the same level as solid wood can. This means it’s a hit for the modern day, busy kitchen, and will take all that life has to throw at it. When we fit your floor, we allow for a small expansion gap around the perimeter of your room. This means your floor will have no problem coping with the atmospheric changes as you cook or turn up the heat in your kitchen.

It’s All In The Finish

We recommend that you opt for wood flooring with an oiled finish and that is sealed with a hardwax oil for optimal protection. Whether you are creating a brand new kitchen space or renovating an existing kitchen, there are many ways you can make wood work for you by using good quality timber and the right finishing techniques.

Other Considerations For A Wooden Kitchen Floor

It is essential that any wooden flooring fitted in the kitchen environment is well protected and fitted with precision. Even though your floor is sealed, all spillages and splashes should be taken care of immediate – it’s never good to leave quantities of liquid sitting on top of a wooden surface. Some liquids, such as oils or tomato-based sauces, could also cause staining if allowed to sit for too long.

It’s also a good idea to have your plumbing checked before you go ahead with a wood floor in your kitchen. The last thing you’ll want is a completely damaged floor because of a leak under your sink, or a badly plumbed in washing machine.

Add A Touch Of Class To Your Kitchen

We would be delighted to tell you more about the wonderful benefits of installing a wooden floor in your kitchen, and to showcase some of our most recent installations. Our years of experience in fitting wooden floors in every room in the home makes us the perfect choice for your flooring requirements.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.