em_c

Help choosing door handles and light switches etc.

Emma Clare
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm in the process of completing a whole house renovation and extension to a small end of terrace Victorian workers cottage (c. 1884) and am looking for advice on how to approach door knobs, light switches and sockets please.

I'm retaining the original doors, which are simple four panel ones, and replicating them where new doors are required. There is currently only one door on the ground floor and this has a rather naff reproduction brass lever handle. There are three original doors upstairs: two have bakelite type knobs (these must be newer than the house as Bakelite wasn't invented when the house was built) and the third a tiny antique brass knob. Two out of three of these knobs are broken and therefore the doors cannot be closed. The plan is to therefore replace all the existing handles with ones that work and for these to match those on the new doors.

The kitchen units will have pewter cup handles and knobs. Taps etc in the two bathrooms and in the kitchen are chrome.

I'm currently swaying towards simple antique brass bun door knobs. What do you think? Maybe something like these: http://www.morehandles.co.uk/period-victorian-cottage-door-knob-dco.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAqdLDBRDD-b2sv6-i6MsBEiQAkT3wAvQb4j_Vfis8ctkx-bVW8GTpWl50VMzz-8B7PP1uH5QaAs878P8HAQ

And should I match the light switches to the door knobs? (I've seen these and think they're rather cute... https://www.oceanlighting.co.uk/light-switches-c246/toggle-switches-c252/click-deco-victorian-vp421-1-gang-2-way-10ax-single-toggle-switch-p22416)

In the kitchen I guess sockets etc would need to be brushed chrome or similar to tone with the cabinet hardware. But that would mean the door knob wouldn't match the sockets. Does that matter?

And then what approach for my curtain poles?!

So many things to consider. It's a very humble little house. I want it to look nice but not completely inauthentic - it would not have had anything remotely grand in it originally.

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.