tr_hayes

Best layout for family kitchen / dining space in 5.5m x 3.2m room?

Tom H
5 years ago

Hello,

We are planning a knock-through from kitchen to dining room to make a modern family kitchen/dining space (see approximate current layout below). There is an external back door (at top of picture) and 2 internal doors - one from hallway and one from lounge. There is also a large triple window on the front wall (bottom of pic), which starts at 77cm height, so too low for cabinets below (there is also a radiator on that wall).

My thoughts at the moment are to have one long run kitchen cabinets along the long wall, and double the width of the back-door opening to put in some form of glazed doors. However, I'm wondering how to best get a decent sized family kitchen table in without it blocking the doors or getting in the way.

I'm a fan of contemporary design style and am thinking of having only base units with plain fronts for a streamlined look. Then embellishing with splash backs, wall colours etc.

Our neighbours with the same layout house knocked through but kept the U-shape kitchen layout and dining area as it is. We didn't like it and prefer to try to make it feel like one open room.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.