tr_hayes

Best layout for family kitchen / dining space in 5.5m x 3.2m room?

Tom H

Hello,

We are planning a knock-through from kitchen to dining room to make a modern family kitchen/dining space (see approximate current layout below). There is an external back door (at top of picture) and 2 internal doors - one from hallway and one from lounge. There is also a large triple window on the front wall (bottom of pic), which starts at 77cm height, so too low for cabinets below (there is also a radiator on that wall).

My thoughts at the moment are to have one long run kitchen cabinets along the long wall, and double the width of the back-door opening to put in some form of glazed doors. However, I'm wondering how to best get a decent sized family kitchen table in without it blocking the doors or getting in the way.

I'm a fan of contemporary design style and am thinking of having only base units with plain fronts for a streamlined look. Then embellishing with splash backs, wall colours etc.

Our neighbours with the same layout house knocked through but kept the U-shape kitchen layout and dining area as it is. We didn't like it and prefer to try to make it feel like one open room.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!