clairef09

Interior design of the living room - ready to buy and worried!

clairef09
7 years ago

The past couple of months I have been compiling ideas for my new living-room. We are renovating the entire house and so far have completed the kitchen, hallway and main bedroom but are now ready to take on the living room. I have wrote on a few threads before for living room inspiration but I am at the point now where I need to start purchasing but I am worried about my final choices and would really appreciate re-assurance/direction to avoid me wasting money on a design that won't work!!

The room is 5.2m by 5.4 with french doors and a lovely huge window overlooking the sea. The skirtings and facings are all white and we have oak hardwood doors.

The style i would like to recreate is somewhat of a "highland cosy industrial " (sounds odd, i know). I would like want to bring in rustic woodgrains through out the furniture with warm neutral hues and black accents, most notably black leather sofas (ordered) and the large black TV that will sit centre-place on the chimney breast. I also would like to incorporate some of the black-steel effect legged furniture (in one of pics) that has the rough grain tops to complement the other black accents.

What I had originally looked at was having the chimney breast tiled with wood-effect tiles placed horizontally, similar to one of the pictures below, with a different-coloured wood flooring flowing vertically up to the chimney breast, with a large neutral rug to balance the wood, however I am starting to panic that should I do that - along with having some wooden furniture (I need two matching sideboards for the alcove, a coffee table and an end table), I will be completely overburdening the room with various wood tones and i am not traditionally a fan of mix-match furniture. Should I lay a carpet instead and just match the tones of the tiles with the furniture? I am not entirely sure. I'm worried about picking the right tones of wood and don't want to invest in tiles and flooring for it not to match. Any direction or advice on this would be greatly appreciated - even if that advice is abandon ship!!

I tried to find images of similar styles but really struggled. My ideabook Broadhaven Living room 2.0 gives some indication of the style I like but i wonder if there aren't many wood-effect chimney breasts - is there a reason for this?! Should I try a different style?? Help please!

Foam · More Info

Modern Farmhouse Homes · More Info
Cranleigh: Modern Country Home · More Info

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.