majids1

Advice on sitting room paint colour and curtains please

s m
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have just put busy wallpaper on all my walls which I regret but will have to put up it with now. I was inspired by this look:

I wanted to recreate the warm feeling but not the busyness of the it and have failed abysmally because all I did was buy the wallpaper. I also would want it to look fresher but don't have the budget for major changes

I've gone with Laura Ashley summer palace in linen:

However 3 walls have framing so can be painted on the bottom but I don't know what colour to paint it.

-I like F&B inchyra blue - which I bought but has reassigned because with all my stuff it looks too dark, cold and not especially nice with my dated furniture

-I also bought the matching laura Ashley pale linen paint originally but don't like it as its very dingy. I considered dulux summer linen which is nicer but think it might be too much beige and brown going on for my liking

- I'm thinking about dulux blossom white which I like but its a pale pink so don't know if that will be overkill and sickly. I also really like F&B oval room blue but I'm hesitant because it makes the room feel quite cold. Should I just go for white and if so what would you recommend?

I think I'm supposed to find a matching undertone but am not really sure what that is as looks a bit of everything to me. Its not an inherently dark room as has a large window but is north east facing and has a lot of dark oversized furniture which has to stay

The room is stuffed with junk so am too embarrassed to show it all but this is the fireplace the coffee table is rectangle and similar colour. The sofas are the dark leather bulky recliners the room has a chair as well as a 4 and 3 seater sofa - all matching! I have a solid oak floor though and a gold mirror which I really like but that's in the garage. I really dislike the matching sofa set but do think all the brown helps to ground the wallpaper a bit

I think I want blue curtains but don't know what kind of shade I should look for also should I go for really bright cushions which I like. Or should I get white wooden shutter to tone down things a bit I don't really like roller blinds though. I kind of want to keep the floor plain as I like it and am worried that if I put a rug down it'll get too busy and break up the room even more. I don't know if that's okay though as I have different wood colours. I would have avoid a light plain rug as it just would last more then a day in our house. So if I need one what would you suggest?

Anyway sorry for such a lengthy post its my first. I would really appreciate some advice please as I'm going insane trying to work out how to make this less of an OAP room but still cosy and am getting sick of looking at colour charts

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.