emma_garwood64

My bedroom lacks personality and style

Emma Garwood
7 years ago
Hi there! Let me get straight to it - I hate my bedroom. The rest of my house has bags of personality with a kind of eclectic style - think bold print cushion covers and screen prints - but my bedroom is bare, and doesn't have an overall style.
Half my problem, I think, is that I'm a sucker for bed linen and will often pick up a cheap, bright new set from IKEA or something just because I love the strong design. The trouble is that they're all different, so I have no colour scheme or style to the rest of the room.
Aside from a good bedding set, I have some lovely grey ticking stripe curtains (except they don't go with anything) and a very bog standard set of IKEA bedroom furniture. I have a wooden bed or a white / cream iron bedstead that I could swap in.
I like to think I've got a strong eye for design, as I do some freelance graphic design, but I can't seem to translate it to my bedroom! When my son was born, I got so much joy out of designing his nursery (mood board attached), and because all the pieces were new, there were no old items that compromised the look just to fit in.
So, for my bedroom, do I ditch the duvet covers and try and establish one colour palette or style, or is there a way of marrying any duvet cover that I may whimsically purchase by doing something else to the room?
Can you establish a proper style with mixed textiles?

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.