harriet_bisson

How should I treat the inside of my cottage front door?

Harriet Bisson
7 years ago

My cottage front door opens directly into a TINY snug sitting room - it is the original foot print of the cottage and we use it in the evenings, wood stove, TV - very cosy, but it is seriously small - just room for TV smallish sofa and one other chair. As well as the front door the room has two other doors leading out of it, plus a built in full height cupboard, another door to the space under the stairs and a painted wall cupboard that houses the electricity meters. At present the front door is dark chocolate brown inside and out, and ALL the other doors apart from the full height built in cupboard have been painted dark brown - this is horribly oppressive and all the interior doors and cupboards are going to be off white in the new scheme. But I am unsure what to do with the front door - I want to get rid of the dark brown, but wonder if painting it like all the other doors will be odd given it is an external door.

As you can see the walls are waiting to be painted following damp proofing work - I anticipate neutral or possibly a warm yellow. The room will be carpeted, the existing door furniture will be replaced with black iron work to match that on the other doors in the room. The blue sofa lives against the wall immediately to the left of the door (in this picture). There is a curtain (actually a drop down roman type blind) that covers the door at night when the matching window curtains are closed. My dilemma is - How do I treat this door that acknowledges it is an external door while making it work in this small comfortable soft sitting space?

- any thoughts?

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.